• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

All terrain 6 or 8 ply

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Does anyone out there have a suggestion on a good all terrain in a 6 or 8 ply, C or D load range for a 16in wheel? If so, what are you running on your truck? I'm used to driving a F250 and 10plys. I just slapped a set of 235/85r16's on my Taco and it rides like crap now. The OME lift felt like a dream with the stock tires. Obviously it's because the tire is too stiff and rated for heavier weights. But I'm having a really hard time finding a 32" tire that isn't stiff as a rock even when aired down a bit.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion on a good all terrain in a 6 or 8 ply, C or D load range for a 16in wheel? If so, what are you running on your truck? I'm used to driving a F250 and 10plys. I just slapped a set of 235/85r16's on my Taco and it rides like crap now. The OME lift felt like a dream with the stock tires. Obviously it's because the tire is too stiff and rated for heavier weights. But I'm having a really hard time finding a 32" tire that isn't stiff as a rock even when aired down a bit.
idk the ply for these but then I'd say you can't go wrong with either ko2's or duratracs. I have a load range E cooper st maxx which is an amazing tire for wheeling and snow driving but sounds like you don't want to go heavy. Also a lot of people run the falken wildpeaks but I feel as if that's if you almost never offroad a good choice.

idk the ply for these but then I'd say you can't go wrong with either ko2's or duratracs. I have a load range E cooper st maxx which is an amazing tire for wheeling and snow driving but sounds like you don't want to go heavy. Also a lot of people run the falken wildpeaks but I feel as if that's if you almost never offroad a good choice.
Thanks for the input. What pressure are you running in your tires? I dropped my new E rated tires to 50psi and they still feel like I'm driving a dump truck.

50 is way too high. you can do a chalk test but i'd max at 40 unless you got really heavy loads.

Thanks for the input. What pressure are you running in your tires? I dropped my new E rated tires to 50psi and they still feel like I'm driving a dump truck.

My truck is incredibly heavy so I run 35 psi cold before bumpers and rtt I was doing 30-32psi

50 is way too high. you can do a chalk test but i'd max at 40 unless you got really heavy loads.
Thanks Rob. I was leaning towards the conservative end when airing down. Was worried letting too much air out would cause the truck to get squirrely from sidewall flex on the road while turning. I'll drop the psi and see what she does. I dont have the truck loaded down at the moment.

I agree with Nick about the BFG KO2s. We've been using them on all of our trucks since the 90s and they've always been that old faithful tire, IMO. Not sure I'd say they aren't going to be harder than your stock tires, but 35psi tends to soften things up if that is what you need, even for the tires you have now.

but 35psi tends to soften things up if that is what you need, even for the tires you have now.
[/QUOTE]
35psi tends to soften things up if that is what you need, even for the tires you have now.
Thanks man. How does your rig handle aired down to 35 on the road? The steering didnt get mushy and unresponsive?

Thanks man. How does your rig handle aired down to 35 on the road? The steering didnt get mushy and unresponsive?
Nope, the steering isn’t like that at all. 35psi rides nicely but I also have 35” mud-terrain tires so it will be a little different than you. I prefer to be at 40-44psi for longer highway drives for less resistance.

Back