• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Alignments on Long Travel Suspensions

Huck89

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger in a long travel setup but want to get the most information prior to purchasing. Instead of breaking the bank and taking it to get aligned somewhere I’d like to figure it out myself. Not to mention I doubt any normal place would have the knowledge on how to handle a long travel setup properly. So what I’m asking here is, is there a “how to” or some reference or resource on LT alignments?

I don't know that DIY alignment is a thing. It takes more precise measurements than are practical at home. But alignment shouldn't be that much. Less than $100 the last time I checked. I believe the point of getting the LT parts is that it brings the alignment back into spec so a standard alignment will work.

You can get close in a DIY alignment with eyeballs and some string, but these trucks are very sensitive. Even putting something .1 or .2 degrees off from perfect can cause it to handle wonky. Having someone that knows what they're doing with a proper rack is vital on this platform IMO. LT shouldn't make much difference as the suspension controls everything - the alignment just makes sure your tires are orientated properly at ride height.

You're changing everything up front to go LT, but the alignment is still adjusted by the same components it was in stock form (unless you are putting in components with additional adjustability), so any reputable (read: not lazy) shop that is familiar with adjusting the eccentrics on these instead of just the tie rods should be able to handle it. My shop would knock it out without breaking a sweat but seems shops like mine are few and far between. If there's a popular offroad shop in your area they might be able to point you in the right direction. To make sure Tacoma's specifically are properly aligned, my shop will perform an initial alignment to perfect spec and then pull the truck off the rack to unweight/cycle the suspension and then pull it back onto the rack and perform a second alignment. I've had mine in twice (as I've made suspension changes) and both times when the truck was pulled on the second time the specs had changed. This process makes sure they get it super dialed - and I've never owned a vehicle that has tracked straighter.

What long travel kit are you looking at?

And like stated above, alignment adjustments will be the same from mid to long travel. Personally I would still try to have an off road shop do the alignment. Some places won’t want to mess with it if it has all the fancy suspension for some reason.

And if you are going to have heim joints instead of the normal rubber bushings, 100% go to an off road shop in my opinion. I have heim joint uppers and even some off road shops don’t adjust them during an alignment… they’re not complicated to adjust. I think some shops just don’t want to get that involved. So just make sure it’s a reputable shop you go to

Back