• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Alexa Update on pre-2020 Tacomas

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So I was poking around on the OTHER Tacoma forum (the shitty toxic one, you know where) and they had discovered that there is a new update for the headunits. 2017-2019 confirmed as I saw but no reason 2016 shouldn't be included. It's not Android Auto or Car Play but at least it's an update. Sounds like you might need Entune on your phone for it to kick off. I'll do some testing today.

And if you want to see the thread here is the link, abandon all hope ye who enter here:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/alexa-update-2019-tacoma.672970/

EDIT: Looking at the Entune app, it looks like this was announced on July 6th

Here is the announcement inside Entune from July 6, 2020:

With our latest release, we are excited to bring Alexa to Entune App Suite. With Alexa, you’ll be able to simply say “Alexa” in your vehicle to
  • Ask about the weather
  • Stream music
  • Look for and navigate to the nearest gas station/coffee shop
  • Check what’s on your calendar and shopping list
  • And many more features
If you haven’t already, please download the latest version of Entune App Suite from the App Store or Google Play. After updating your app, link Alexa in the app through the main Dashboard screen and then connect to Entune App Suite in your vehicle via Bluetooth™ to get the latest multimedia system update. Once this update is installed, you’ll see the Alexa icon on your vehicle display. Click that icon, make sure Entune App Suite is visible on your mobile phone, then simply say “Alexa” followed by your question or command (e.g., “Alexa, how’s the weather?”, “Alexa, play music.”).

Enjoy using Alexa!

Toyota Entune Customer Support

It’s lame.

I have a very toxic relationship with Alexa.

So dumb how it took them 4 years to add a couple new apps. They just need to give us CarPlay and call it a day. I want CarPlay so badly I would be fine paying for the upgrade as long as it wasn't the $2k+ that it costs to get a 2020 head unit. Hell, make it a $10/mo subscription service and I'm happy lol

So dumb how it took them 4 years to add a couple new apps. They just need to give us CarPlay and call it a day. I want CarPlay so badly I would be fine paying for the upgrade as long as it wasn't the $2k+ that it costs to get a 2020 head unit. Hell, make it a $10/mo subscription service and I'm happy lol

CarPlay is titties but I almost never use it because I don't like plugging my phone in every time I get in my truck. In the year 3020 when Toyota releases wireless CarPlay it will be amazing.

Siri and I have a very healthy relationship.

You guys got apps?

I can’t even get my phone to connect Bluetooth anymore. I’ve given up 😂

Would it be easier just to upgrade to the alpine halo9 with all the those apps and Apple car play feature?

My buddies running this in his and hasn’t had any complaints since !

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVIC-W8400NEX

I've got a 2020, and it's nice to have CarPlay, but it isn't flawless. In fact, having problems with my head unit was one of the reasons I got rid of my 2018 JL...but I've had the Toyota CarPlay freeze up, both with google maps and gaiagps, and if I rig Bluetooth, it starts playing music automatically at random from my Apple Music (which I rarely use except for weird stuff like kids music 🎼 "bears, bears, they've got no cares..." 🎶 or cardiac auscultation sounds "the s2 can be split on inspiration in the normally full function heart...").

but it always starts up :) it rarely causes fits. The windows always roll up and down. it's quiet. And...well, the door hinges won't rust off in two years :)

Back