PERFORMANCE Air intake and exhaust recommendations

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Victory4x4

victory4x4.com
Authorized Vendor
First Name
Daryl
T3G Member
#1,346
They aren't really worth the performance per dollar on these trucks.

I installed an aFe intake/exhaust on ours a couple weeks ago. Awesome quality products that SOUND great on the 3.5 (if you are into it,) but I think performance increases are pretty minimal. Kinda knew that going in though.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper Yota

= III • Silver
T3G Supporter
First Name
Cole
T3G Member
#1,629

I installed an aFe intake/exhaust on mine a couple weeks ago. Awesome quality products that SOUND great on the 3.5 (if you are into it,) but I think performance increases are pretty minimal. Kinda knew that going in though.
Tacomas are not hybrids there truck, you’re not going to get anything better than 17-20 mpg thats the true fact! Trucks are trucks tbh.

Victory4x4

victory4x4.com
Authorized Vendor
First Name
Daryl
T3G Member
#1,346
Tacomas are not hybrids there truck, you’re not going to get anything better than 17-20 mpg thats the true fact! Trucks are trucks tbh.
Ours is lucky to get 12mpg with a tailwind :p

Rob Daman

= VII • Aficionado
T3G O.G.
T3G Member
you know you wanna snorkel it ;)

Been eyeballing the Injen intake system. utilizes the largest size filter you can get and its a dry filter

Mr. Nobody

= VIII • Connoisseur
Vendor Relations
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member

TacoJoe

= II • Bronze
T3G Supporter
First Name
Joey
T3G Member
#2,153
I installed a K & N filter into the factory box, and welded in an 18 inch Magnaflow muffler. I noticed a small difference with performance. It's a little louder than I wanted so I am going to add a resonator to absorb a portion of the noise.

MrProduxn

= II • Bronze
First Name
Mr
T3G Member
#1,410
I am extremely happy with my K&N intake and Gibson stainless exhaust after roughly 18 months of use.
20180313_192804.jpg

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member

MrProduxn

= II • Bronze
First Name
Mr
T3G Member
#1,410
When you are as old as me you take every opportunity for someone to look under the hood

Romp-A-Taco

= V • Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
James
T3G Member
#2,373

I installed an aFe intake/exhaust on ours a couple weeks ago. Awesome quality products that SOUND great on the 3.5 (if you are into it,) but I think performance increases are pretty minimal. Kinda knew that going in though.
Interesting to see your response on little performance gains on installing a cold air intake. I would like to think you would see a 5hp gain.

MrProduxn

= II • Bronze
First Name
Mr
T3G Member
#1,410
My experience with the K&N Cai with the Gibson exhaust seems to be a significant increase in throttle response. There is much less lag between full throttle at foot to full throttle under the hood. Before adding these my truck was dangerously inconsistent when passing or getting out of the way of someone else. I do agree that gains in hp are insignificant. Gains are only in timing of throttle response which, in my opinion, made the investment very worthwhile at roughly $500.

Top Bottom