• ⚙️ 3rd & 4th Gen Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016+ Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest. Read more about us...

Performance Air intake and exhaust recommendations

sporttrd3gnj

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,774
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
2018 Magnetic Gray Sport Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
I'm shopping around for a cold air intake and cat back exhaust system for a TRD Sport.

More interested in performance vs. increased sound, any recommendations on what to get OR what to stay away from would be much appreciated.

Victory4x4

victory4x4.com
Authorized Vendor
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,346
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Instagram
@victory4x4
YouTube
/victory4x4
2021 Super White Pro Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic (Build Thread)
They aren't really worth the performance per dollar on these trucks.

I installed an aFe intake/exhaust on ours a couple weeks ago. Awesome quality products that SOUND great on the 3.5 (if you are into it,) but I think performance increases are pretty minimal. Kinda knew that going in though.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper Yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#1,629
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Instagram
@stormtrooper_yota_676
2018 White SR Access Cab Automatic

I installed an aFe intake/exhaust on mine a couple weeks ago. Awesome quality products that SOUND great on the 3.5 (if you are into it,) but I think performance increases are pretty minimal. Kinda knew that going in though.
Tacomas are not hybrids there truck, you’re not going to get anything better than 17-20 mpg thats the true fact! Trucks are trucks tbh.

Victory4x4

victory4x4.com
Authorized Vendor
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,346
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Instagram
@victory4x4
YouTube
/victory4x4
2021 Super White Pro Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic (Build Thread)
Tacomas are not hybrids there truck, you’re not going to get anything better than 17-20 mpg thats the true fact! Trucks are trucks tbh.
Ours is lucky to get 12mpg with a tailwind :p

Malcolm

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
Reaction score
Instagram
@PROTACO17
2017 Cement Pro Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
Been eyeballing the Injen intake system. utilizes the largest size filter you can get and its a dry filter

TacoJoe

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#2,153
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Instagram
@Joedanger3
2018 Cement Off-Road Double Cab, Long Bed Automatic
I installed a K & N filter into the factory box, and welded in an 18 inch Magnaflow muffler. I noticed a small difference with performance. It's a little louder than I wanted so I am going to add a resonator to absorb a portion of the noise.

MrProduxn

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,410
Reaction score
First Name
Mr
I am extremely happy with my K&N intake and Gibson stainless exhaust after roughly 18 months of use.
20180313_192804.jpg

MrProduxn

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,410
Reaction score
First Name
Mr
When you are as old as me you take every opportunity for someone to look under the hood

Malcolm

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
Reaction score
Instagram
@PROTACO17
2017 Cement Pro Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
Don’t know if you’re into them, but just ordered a Dobinson Snorkel, they’re pretty good as CAI also

Romp-A-Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#2,373
Reaction score
First Name
James
Instagram
@rompin_taco
2017 Silver Sky Off-Road Double Cab, Long Bed Automatic (Build Thread)

I installed an aFe intake/exhaust on ours a couple weeks ago. Awesome quality products that SOUND great on the 3.5 (if you are into it,) but I think performance increases are pretty minimal. Kinda knew that going in though.
Interesting to see your response on little performance gains on installing a cold air intake. I would like to think you would see a 5hp gain.

MrProduxn

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,410
Reaction score
First Name
Mr
My experience with the K&N Cai with the Gibson exhaust seems to be a significant increase in throttle response. There is much less lag between full throttle at foot to full throttle under the hood. Before adding these my truck was dangerously inconsistent when passing or getting out of the way of someone else. I do agree that gains in hp are insignificant. Gains are only in timing of throttle response which, in my opinion, made the investment very worthwhile at roughly $500.