• ⚙️ 3rd & 4th Gen Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016+ Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest. Read more about us...

AGM batteries and charging volts

cocodataco

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,015
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Instagram
@cocodataco
Hey guys wanted to see what everyone was doing to get the max volts to charge their AGM batteries.

I have done some searching on TW/google and it sounds like us guys with the 3rd gens don't have a way to boost our alternator voltage to charge AGMs. I will be putting a group 31 in my rig over the next few weeks and already own a battery charger that supports AGMs. But I would like to do something more than just hooking it up to the charger every month or so..

For reference the Odyssey AGM batteries needs anywhere from 14.1-14.7 volts, while our rigs output range maxes at 13.8v. Unlike the 2nd gen rigs that have an ALT-S fuse which you can place a diode to boost the volts our 3rd gens are ECU controlled.

XxMagpulxX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#5,041
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
So it goes in-between your alternator and spare battery. It will charge your spare battery at 14.4v. I have a dual battery voltage meter on both of my batteries and have had no problems with the alternator sufficiently charging the starter battery. Its been in my truck for over 2 years and the starter battery voltage is still holding 14v.

Upvote 0

MGM Aquaponic Tank

5️⃣ Platinum
T3G Member
#5,079
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Instagram
@Meta_green_machine_aquaponics
Odyssey extreme
C28753FE-19A9-47F5-A947-168335827894.jpeg

Upvote 0

XxMagpulxX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#5,041
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
those are the ones I have in my truck

Upvote 0

cocodataco

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#1,015
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Instagram
@cocodataco
I'll be running a single group 31 in my truck so I don't believe the DC to DC charger would work for me. Thanks tho looks very interesting

Upvote 0

ForTheWin

2️⃣ Bronze
T3G Member
#9,616
Reaction score
I'll be running a single group 31 in my truck so I don't believe the DC to DC charger would work for me. Thanks tho looks very interesting
Yeah, that DC to DC charger solution definitely answers a question you did not ask. KD Max can make a tune for you that basically amounts to an "AGM charging update." I cringe at the thought of paying hundreds of dollars for .5 voltage increase though. I have a nice agm battery.

Upvote 0

Sunsetsearider

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#2,316
Reaction score
You or a tuner you use can bump the charging voltage up with VF tune. A nice bonus if you are tuning your truck. It's easy, I have done it myself.

Upvote 0

XxMagpulxX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#5,041
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, that DC to DC charger solution definitely answers a question you did not ask. KD Max can make a tune for you that basically amounts to an "AGM charging update." I cringe at the thought of paying hundreds of dollars for .5 voltage increase though. I have a nice agm battery.

I agree with you about the thought of spending hundreds of dollars for that however, sometimes if you wanna do things the right way instead of half assed, it will cost money.

Upvote 0

Sunsetsearider

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#2,316
Reaction score
I agree with you about the thought of spending hundreds of dollars for that however, sometimes if you wanna do things the right way instead of half assed, it will cost money.
When you get a tune it's for a lot more than increasing the alternator output. It was literally an afterthought when they discovered the settings for it. It is very handy though.

Upvote 0