• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

AGAWA Boreal Folding Saws

NVTaco

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 Pro DCSB Auto
White
Anyone here have the AGAWA Boreal Folding Saw that has actually used it? If so, what size and what is your overall thoughts about it and its performance?

I typically carry a 12" Japanese folding saw in my vehicle at all times and the downside is blades can, and do get, bent on the push stroke if you get too aggressive. I like the idea of a bow saw better, however, the space it takes up has always been a concern. So seeing the Boreal has my interest peaked.... (Note: I do carry a Stihl if my plans are exclusive to wooded areas, however, I often stray...)

BorealSaw.JPG

just get a silky saw. I have the folding saw, and it is good but my silky blows it away.

I have a 12" folding Japanese saw, and love it, but the blades tend to bend, hence why I am looking for a hand saw with front blade support. I'll look into the Silky saws to see if their blades are any thicker then what I am currently using.

I have the boreal folding saw and have been happy with it. It is quicker than using an axe, but you will still need something to split wood. I use a crkt choosing tomahawk

I have a 12" folding Japanese saw, and love it, but the blades tend to bend, hence why I am looking for a hand saw with front blade support. I'll look into the Silky saws to see if their blades are any thicker then what I am currently using.
the silky saws work on the pull, so they dont bend that easy unless of course you go all ham fisted on the saw.

Also have the boreal. Works great, packs small.

I have the boreal folding saw and have been happy with it. It is quicker than using an axe, but you will still need something to split wood. I use a crkt choosing tomahawk
It would be used for trail clearing when needed, living in the desert, I carry firewood when camping.

the silky saws work on the pull, so they dont bend that easy unless of course you go all ham fisted on the saw.
The current saw I use cuts on both push and pull, so it is fast, but I've bent blades, hence why I am in the market.

It would be used for trail clearing when needed, living in the desert, I carry firewood when camping.

The current saw I use cuts on both push and pull, so it is fast, but I've bent blades, hence why I am in the market.
trail clearing is about all mine is used for also. I also carry a pair of rose snips for all of the mesquite and creosote bushes.

the only issue with the boreal saw that I have had was when the log being cut was a tad too large to cut all the way through, and then the blade would get pinched. I wouldn't cut any material over 5 inches with the boreal saw for that reason, and most down trees that I have come across where I usually go are usually bigger than that, so the silky saw was naturally a better choice, and for me seemed to cut better and faster.

for clearing trail trees and debris I prefer to have my chain saw. the only time I use the hand saw is for small debris in the trail or for cutting deadfall for fire wood. the reason I say the silky saw is because for me it has performed great for the last two years of using it, and you can get different lengths for the blades and handles. I have the bigboy 2000 silky and will probably add the katana boy to my kit as well in the future. but I also tend to do more Bushcrafty stuff when im out in the wilds.

Back