• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Advice

davidjepsen1

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Barcelona Red
I have had my 2018 TRD Off-Road for two years now and am wanting to do some mods to the truck. The problem I am having is that I have zero clue what I am talking about and/or doing. I want to get new wheels and tires and either a lift kit or a leveling kit. I just have no clue what the difference of them are an how they will look in the end. Any advice to get started will really help. Thanks
IMG_6542.JPG

You have made the correct first step by finding this site. There is a wealth of great info here.

I'm no expert either, but I can briefly explain how much I understand as far as what you're inquiring about. Anyone feel free to correct me.

Level kits would typically be a couple of spacer blocks that would add an inch or two to the front and/or back. It just changes the stance of your truck so that the front end and the back end of your truck are at the same height. I think our trucks have more height in the back so a level kit added to the front would make the front and back of the truck at the same height. A level can also be achieved through suspension upgrades.

I would consider a lift kit as everything you need to get your truck to lift a determined amount. This kit may be various combinations of spacer blocks, front and/or back suspensions, leaf springs, etc. Depending on how much off road you may be taking your truck, the recommended way to lift your truck is going the suspension route.

As I'm typing this, it has kind of opened up a rabbit hole, we can go on and on. haha. Sooo... I think the better start to help give you advice is what do you plan on doing with the truck? Mild off roading, overlanding, rock crawling? Knowing this will help some of the more experienced guys on here help you towards a certain direction.

I'm no expert either, but I can briefly explain how much I understand as far as what you're inquiring about. Anyone feel free to correct me.

Level kits would typically be a couple of spacer blocks that would add an inch or two to the front and/or back. It just changes the stance of your truck so that the front end and the back end of your truck are at the same height. I think our trucks have more height in the back so a level kit added to the front would make the front and back of the truck at the same height. A level can also be achieved through suspension upgrades.

I would consider a lift kit as everything you need to get your truck to lift a determined amount. This kit may be various combinations of spacer blocks, front and/or back suspensions, leaf springs, etc. Depending on how much off road you may be taking your truck, the recommended way to lift your truck is going the suspension route.

As I'm typing this, it has kind of opened up a rabbit hole, we can go on and on. haha. Sooo... I think the better start to help give you advice is what do you plan on doing with the truck? Mild off roading, overlanding, rock crawling? Knowing this will help some of the more experienced guys on here help you towards a certain direction.

I do very little off-roading as it stands today; however, it is something that I want to do more of. Currently I will just take it to the dunes, and the occasional camping trip, but want to take more advantage of the off-roading features this year... When it comes to level kits with spacer blocks is that something that is mainly just for looks, and the suspensions f=more for functionality? thanks for the help.

it is really important to decide on what you want from the truck. Its not a cheap thing to replace something you just put in because it doesn’t work for you, lol
i knew what I wanted from my truck, so I did all my research, then purchasing, then install.
if you will work gradually, suspension is you biggest and best improvement. Tire size will play a factor in your height as well as gearing and tuning,(yes, O.V. Tune is something you should look into 1st)
are you going to run dunes, or crawl around rock, narrow woodland trails, adding weight etc.
anywho, for me it was a blast deciding on my set up, emptying wallet, and getting out there
there are a lot of good vendors here on this site that are very helpful as well as a good crew of guys and gals as well.

I do very little off-roading as it stands today; however, it is something that I want to do more of. Currently I will just take it to the dunes, and the occasional camping trip, but want to take more advantage of the off-roading features this year... When it comes to level kits with spacer blocks is that something that is mainly just for looks, and the suspensions f=more for functionality? thanks for the help.
You've pretty much summarized it. Level kits mainly for looks and suspensions for performance and functionality.

Budget is another thing to consider when looking into a suspension upgrade. There are budget friendly suspension upgrades that have received really great feedback here and there are mid to high end upgrades that go from $2-3K+.

Lift and reasonably sized tires (maybe 275/70's) and avoid the costs of regearing and tuning. If youre looking to use it and not really abuse it. That being said if you lift it and tires, you should be considering armor if youre going to be tackling more obstacles. Thats my two cents. Or else like everyone says you will go down a very deep and long rabbit hole. But then again if your truck is an auto you may want to regear it in the first place haha, im sure youve seen how poorly geared and tuned the autos are.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, lots of company down here...

Lift and reasonably sized tires (maybe 275/70's) and avoid the costs of regearing and tuning. If youre looking to use it and not really abuse it. That being said if you lift it and tires, you should be considering armor if youre going to be tackling more obstacles. Thats my two cents. Or else like everyone says you will go down a very deep and long rabbit hole. But then again if your truck is an auto you may want to regear it in the first place haha, im sure youve seen how poorly geared and tuned the autos are.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, lots of company down here...
I love our rabbit hole!

Back