• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Adjusting coilovers when the holes are stripped?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
This thing doesn’t turn. The holes are useless. Even if you figure out a way to not let the spanner strip the holes, you can’t turn it.

Is there anything I can do?

99CAEC27-9D64-41DD-A4C9-DAC8E502BF59.jpeg

Spray some lithium grease all over the threads (or pb blast) and get yourself some big boy channel locks and grab it. The lubricants on the threads will help. Alternatively if you can find a pin or a punch large enough to fit the hole and not slip out, you can use that method as well to avoid damaging the face of the spring collar with channel locks.

Upvote 0
Spray some lithium grease all over the threads (or pb blast) and get yourself some big boy channel locks and grab it. The lubricants on the threads will help. Alternatively if you can find a pin or a punch large enough to fit the hole and not slip out, you can use that method as well to avoid damaging the face of the spring collar with channel locks.
Pin/punch/steel rod that fits didn’t work. Channel locks/pipe wrench didn’t work the first time. But the only lube I tried was the WD-40 I had so I’ll try it with what you suggested.

Upvote 0
I’m wondering if I should try to hold the coil and turn the shock at the very top where it connects to the truck. I’d probably break it but if I end up at a last resort anyway, why not I guess. Because if I don’t end up figuring it out, I might replace them.

Upvote 0
I’m wondering if I should try to hold the coil and turn the shock at the very top where it connects to the truck. I’d probably break it but if I end up at a last resort anyway, why not I guess. Because if I don’t end up figuring it out, I might replace them.

Chances are there's a load of smudge built up in the threads and you just don't have enough leverage to get it to spin since it's not fixed in place..

I'd say PB Blaster, let it set for a few hours and then find a way to leverage the shock and keep it stable to break the collar loose. Might even be worth partial reinstall to the truck (off the ground) to get the necessary hold to grab it really tight with the huge channel locks and work it back and forth to free/clean the threads.

Upvote 0
Are you releaving pressure on the collar by compressing the spring when you adjust? I have to do that with my king shocks otherwise the collar wont move at all
No because I didn’t used to need to do that to with these. I guess they are haggard enough that I might need to now. I’ll be trying the pb blaster tomorrow and if that doesn’t work I’ll compress them.

Upvote 0
As with everything I do, it’s days later now, but I’m finally getting to this today. About to go buy the pb blaster that I somehow don’t already have lol

Upvote 0
The pb blaster looked promising because it made a lot of nasty drip out. I soaked it multiple times, let it sit, hit it with a hammer, etc.

I had a pretty decent grip using a big pipe wrench and a makeshift spanner tool that fits in the holes better. But there was still no turning it.

I was hoping to move the front of the truck up another inch since it has sagged from all the weight. That would also give me a little extra clearance for the 37s. But, whatever. I’ll come back to this in the future—I have too much other stuff going on with a higher priority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The pb blaster looked promising because it made a lot of nasty drip out. I soaked it multiple times, let it sit, hit it with a hammer, etc.

I had a pretty decent grip using a big pipe wrench and a makeshift spanner tool that fits in the holes better. But there was still no turning it.

I was hoping to move the front of the truck up another inch since I has sagged from all the weight. That would also give me a little extra clearance for the 37s. But, whatever. I’ll come back to this in the future—I have too much other stuff going on with a higher priority.

Damn. Locking screw is loose right? I've read that if you loosen it too far it can cause the collar to slip a tooth from the pressure of the spring, essentially cross threading. Hoping thats not the case. You can also try using a bit of heat to warm it up which may help loosen some sludge, but dont overdo it as you don't want to superheat the shock. Make sure the pb is good and dry before hitting it with a torch. Try threading up before threading down as well. Sometimes a good back and forth will crack a solid thread.

Upvote 0
Damn. Locking screw is loose right? I've read that if you loosen it too far it can cause the collar to slip a tooth from the pressure of the spring, essentially cross threading. Hoping thats not the case. You can also try using a bit of heat to warm it up which may help loosen some sludge, but dont overdo it as you don't want to superheat the shock. Make sure the pb is good and dry before hitting it with a torch. Try threading up before threading down as well. Sometimes a good back and forth will crack a solid thread.
The set screw was loosened but not too much for the reason you said. I tried to go up or down. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s cross threaded in there though. Maybe I had the screw too loose when I first adjusted them a few years ago.

Upvote 0
Back