• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Adjustable Remote Bypass Shocks

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I've been looking to upgrade to coilovers. I was debating on Kings or Elka. I've pretty much made my choice and I'm going with Elka coilovers. My dilemma is this. Do I really need a coilover with a tunable remote reservoir. My truck doesnt live off road but when I do wheel it I'd like to have the most comfortable ride possible. I know the the tunable bypass would give me the ability to adapt the suspension to different terrain and driving styles. But is it absolutely necessary? The OME nitro chargers and Med duty coils work well but dont offer a very comfortable ride on rocky trails over 10mph. If I can get a better ride with a higher quality non bypass coilover that would be great. For those of you who went with a tunable bypass... how did your life change after? Was it worth the extra coin?

I run kings with adjustable compression adjusters, hands down one of the best things I love on the truck is the ability to tune the suspension...yes, it makes that big of a difference depending on your driving style (high speed, crawling, daily driving, etc.) Plus if you remove your sway bar you can use the tunability to get rid of any body roll. Also depending on how much weight you have the rear they can really help tune how your rear end handles off-road unloaded vs fully-loaded.

Sounds like the adjustment and tuning provided with a tunable bypass is the answer to what I ultimately need in the long run. How well are your Kings holding up with the winter weather in Michigan? Ohio loves any deicing agent they can get their hands on. One reason I'm leaning so hard towards Elka is the aluminum construction.

Sounds like the adjustment and tuning provided with a tunable bypass is the answer to what I ultimately need in the long run. How well are your Kings holding up with the winter weather in Michigan? Ohio loves any deicing agent they can get their hands on. One reason I'm leaning so hard towards Elka is the aluminum construction.
Theyre holding up pretty good, some minor surface corrosion but your gonna get that even with aluminum shocks, the weather up here is just nasty no matter what. I fluid film my shocks every winter which helps seem to protect them.

Back