• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Addiction

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
Anyone face non-substance addiction? Like really bad.

Buying and gaming. It's so bad I disappear. Wanted to see if anyone else experience something similar and what they did.

I've had addictive tendencies all my life, have had to toss things out (primarily video games as a younger guy). Three main things got me back on track: 1) a robust living of Christianity, 2) replacing the addictive behavior with something unrelated but just as easy to pull out and start doing (quote or sing something, small pocket sized book, etc.) and 3) getting rid of access to the thing.

I've never had a struggle with addiction aside from Copenhagen. But I get what you're saying. Losing yourself in something can take its toll. Have you tried shifting money? Any time you feel the urge to buy a new game, take the cost and move it to savings. Over time you'll see the money pile up and you'll appreciate it. I did that when I was younger with Monster energy drinks. Every day I thought I needed one so I slid 2.50 away. Once I saw the cash I was thankful and disgusted I was spending that much on them haha. Havent drank one in years

I have my share of problems with addiction and in my case it's escapism. Trying to improve my mental health while the world is throttled by COVID feels like an uphill battle, but absolutely necessary if I want to be better. There are myriad ways to develop addictive behaviors so addressing the cause seems to me the best approach. For me therapy and meds are the ticket. Have you talked to any professionals?

I saw a counselor before for the spending addiction. I kept telling her it was an issue. But she said it wasn't and I'm just treating myself. Even when I gave her the numbers. She said it was fine. Even though it was fine, it still didn't feel right. Maybe that's just conflict.

Games... It's the same couple games. Work has been mandating like crazy. So I could end up working 16 hours days unexpectedly. So during off hours I'm limited to what I can do.

Anything truck related just went on hold. Held off to not spend money. But a new Laptop or Staccato seems real nice. Then with the mandated and being forced to work, that's more money. Just a vicious unhealthy cycle. Especially in my workplace/field.

Might just have to find another career. Would be a start.

It sounds like maybe that counselor wasn't a good fit, unless worrying about your spending habits is part of the problem. I would definitely shop around for a therapist of some kind that works well for you. Have you been evaluated for OCD? I know it can manifest in many more ways than obsessively washing hands and flipping switches certain numbers of times.

Me, big time. I don't know if I want to say what it is here, but if you want to know I guess you can PM me. It's not harmful or weird or anything like that. It's basically something you would expect from a Marine vet, if that's a hint for you, lol. It will get to the point where I literally cannot go about the day until I get my "fix" (again; this isn't drugs or anything). My mind will get so obsessed/distracted from the world around me. It isn't inherently harmful like I said, but it definitely affects mental health.

Aside from that, I do something else. I regularly think I found myself a new hobby that I'll spend hours/days/weeks researching. I'll learn all the do's and don'ts, the best beginner whatever to buy, etc. Like, sometimes I can stay up through the night doing this. The sun comes up and I'm still looking into R/C scale crawlers, or mountain bikes, or cameras, or designing websites, or something else I'll want to get good at. Eventually, I'll lose interest and I'll move onto my next big idea. I think it's the dopamine from the excitement of doing the initial research that gets me.

It sounds like maybe that counselor wasn't a good fit
This is such a hard thing to figure out.

When a counselor isn't a good fit (and in my experience, they mostly aren't for me), you just want to give up. The process of starting fresh, only to get with another counselor that isn't a good fit, makes you want to give up.

Find some new hobbies man. I game just about everyday but usually only for 2-3 hours and only if my friends are online to game. I used to game all day and night till the sun came up when I was younger. Now I try to find things to do during the day and then game at night for a little. Wood working can be a fun hobby. There’s all different kinds you can get into. Can be done with simple hand tools or spend money on bigger electric tools. I’ll be building a custom desk for myself next and a dog bowl stand as well. You could go to the gym instead of gaming as well. Work on yourself instead of the games. You just have to build up the resistance to gaming. Won’t happen overnight but one day at a time.
Aside from that, I do something else. I regularly think I found myself a new hobby that I'll spend hours/days/weeks researching. I'll learn all the do's and don'ts, the best beginner whatever to buy, etc. Like, sometimes I can stay up through the night doing this. The sun comes up and I'm still looking into R/C scale crawlers, or mountain bikes, or cameras, or designing websites, or something else I'll want to get good at. Eventually, I'll lose interest and I'll move onto my next big idea. I think it's the dopamine from the excitement of doing the initial research that gets me.
I do this a lot as well lol. Glad I’m not alone lol. I research the crap out of things. It usually ends up being more research than me actually acting on the research. Sometimes I think maybe I’m just lazy and that’s why I don’t end up acting on the ideas. But idk, maybe it’s just like you said and it’s the initial excitement that gets me and then when it’s gone it’s gone. I also definitely have some anxiety and social issues caused by the military now and have tried to see counselors about it but they didn’t do shit lol. So I’m sure those issues hold me back a bit from acting on some new ideas.

I've never had a struggle with addiction aside from Copenhagen. But I get what you're saying. Losing yourself in something can take its toll. Have you tried shifting money? Any time you feel the urge to buy a new game, take the cost and move it to savings. Over time you'll see the money pile up and you'll appreciate it. I did that when I was younger with Monster energy drinks. Every day I thought I needed one so I slid 2.50 away. Once I saw the cash I was thankful and disgusted I was spending that much on them haha. Havent drank one in years

Oh man! I used to wore ship Copenhagen. I think about it every day. I miss nicotine so bad.

It's the full dive obsession. Then onto something new or something happens and I just fall off for a while.
There's just no give and compromise is just so gray.

I am not addicted to anything, I just wanted to drop my two cents. This is the bravest thread I have seen on the forum, addiction is a term that carries a lot of stigma and misunderstanding. Bravo to those of you that are able to speak about it in public.

I am not addicted to anything, I just wanted to drop my two cents. This is the bravest thread I have seen on the forum, addiction is a term that carries a lot of stigma and misunderstanding. Bravo to those of you that are able to speak about it in public.
Thanks. I wouldn't say it's brave as what I know my addictions are may just be silly to others. I might just be making excuses saying my addictions are what keep me going day to day. I have my dog and nothing else. Might just be my personality type and I'll never be able to kick it unless something else takes it's place.

Back