• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Access cab rear storage solutions

aes5455

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 Sport AC Auto
White
I'm too lazy to remember to bring my mountain bike gear with me so I keep it in the back of my truck. Trying to craft up a nice solution using the blank area between the seats (anyone take out both seats, how does that look?).

Was thinking about buying a grey man tactical molle panel and either hanging it with straps off the headrests or using screws into the plastic. Then misc hooks and clips for the gear.
The issues I see with this is it flopping around and being annoying while driving if I use straps. If i use screws the bottom portion of the back plastic is curved in so I'll need some giant screws and washers..

Also don't want to store the gear in any closed containers since I want air moving around them

Anyone have creative solutions for their gear in the access cab?

shoes & helmet.jpg
sizing.jpg

I pulled one of the seats out in my AC. Not that hard, I’ll probably pull the other one soon, and the seat belts. Definitely clears up some room, and drops 20 lbs per seat. Only down side I have found is road noise. I can definitely notice a difference where the seat was removed. I’m planning on putting some dynamat or something in there and building a custom board to mount accessories too, and getting rid of the back panel.
here is a thread from Tacoma world on it:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/removing-rear-seats-and-back-panel-from-2016-access-cab.411587/

Back window molle panels and maybe a diy box that is mounted? Have pull out drawers when you open the door, etc? Guess you could always do a rear seat delete and go wild then

I added a cargo deck to the back of my Access cab. It is easy to pop out with about 5 minutes of effort, if I need to use the seats. One side can pop out if needed. I've had it in there for about 4 years now and could not imagine not having that back there. Right now, in addition to a black tote with my general truck stuff, I have a piece of memory foam on one side for my dog.

As a bonus, I gained some additional hidden storage in the footwell area.

20200223_155847.jpg
20200321_135321.jpg
20200321_140508.jpg

That setup looks great!

Since I've made the post I got a dog and found similar platforms on Youtube and have been thinking this is the best way to go. Your's looks like it came stock, very impressive work, and I like the addition of the cargo net.

Thanks. I still need to add the lockable doors to wither side for easy access to the compartment underneath it that is normally the rear footwell. That will give me an easy place to put stuff if needed.

Last edited:
I am in the middle of doing the same thing. Nice work @88E30. Nice rig too.

Thanks. I love these trucks. Your truck setup is where I hope to get this one to eventually. Nice setup on that.

plans available? lol

looks great!

my dog would love it

Sorry, no plans. I made this out of an old play table that I made for my sons years ago. I'll try to get some pics of the underside supports. It was put together in two sections so I could take either side out if needed. My goal was to be able to remove a side in 5 minutes if I needed to carry someone. Also, I wanted zero permanent mods to the truck, so the back just tucks under the rear seat bases.

Sorry, no plans. I made this out of an old play table that I made for my sons years ago. I'll try to get some pics of the underside supports. It was put together in two sections so I could take either side out if needed. My goal was to be able to remove a side in 5 minutes if I needed to carry someone. Also, I wanted zero permanent mods to the truck, so the back just tucks under the rear seat bases.

Would you be willing to share just measurements of it?

I didn't worry much about measurements when I put that together. Each piece was made from a cardboard template. I just took a bunch of photos and will post those when I get on a real computer instead of working from my cell phone

These show how it goes together. I used brass door hinge pins to line it up and keep things from moving around.

20231023_163459.jpg
20231023_163611.jpg
20231023_163616.jpg
20231023_163623.jpg
20231023_163634.jpg
20231023_163644.jpg
20231023_163651.jpg
20231023_163714.jpg
20231023_163810.jpg

Back