• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

AC issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yotafeller83

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Was sitting idling for about 20 mins on a hot day with ac wide open. Suddenly what i assume was freon shoots up between my hood and windshield. Ac hasn't worked since. Y'all thinking expansion valve or busted hose? I can't feel any splits in the hose so who knows. I do all my own maintenance and def not looking forward to having to remove dash to get to expansion valve which I've heard is what's necessary. Thoughts?

?‍♂️

Haven't heard of anyone having a similar scenario, but what you've concluded seems pretty plausible.

Upvote 0
Was sitting idling for about 20 mins on a hot day with ac wide open. Suddenly what i assume was freon shoots up between my hood and windshield. Ac hasn't worked since. Y'all thinking expansion valve or busted hose? I can't feel any splits in the hose so who knows. I do all my own maintenance and def not looking forward to having to remove dash to get to expansion valve which I've heard is what's necessary. Thoughts?
It you arent getting cold air its a chance the line is no longer charged, especially since you have a visual. Could way to check this is hook a psi gauge to the line if you can find one with the right attachment, or buy a do it yourself bottle of freon/charge kit and check the psi of your lines compared to the owners manual, sometimes it will even say the psi on the freon lines. if its below this number it needs to be charge, and chances are doesnt have any freon. I wouldnt run the AC until you know. That being said if its not the charge, then youre looking at a leak test which takes some time.

Upvote 0
Back