• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Review AAWireless - Wireless Android Auto Dongle

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
Purchase Date
Feb 14, 2023
Price of Product
Star Rating
5.00 star(s)
Would you ultimately recommend this product or vendor?
Yes
10/10 recommend. If you want to get rid of the wire with your wired Android Auto Head Unit this is the way to do it. Plugged in, 1 minute to set it up and 2 settings options later I'm satisfied. That's rare for me.

I didn't want to plug my phone in and have a wire running around. My previous setup was a wireless charger with a proprietary magnetic layout that matched the case. So no wires in the way. Upgraded phones had to get a new phone case. Pixel 6 Pro to Pixel 7 Pro. The company, Mous abandoned the layout and changed to the more versatile MagSafe layout. Swapped chargers. After my CTH Android HU bricked, I swapped to a Sony Head Unit. I'm now introduced with Android Auto. I don't see the big deal with it. But to use it, it required I plug in my phone. Now it's on a wireless charging mount with the usb cord.

I always knew wireless dongles existed for the wireless capability with Android Auto. I started looking into it and found a lot options. There was the cheap ones that seemed to work. But didn't give me confidence with reliability.

Factoring in cost of around $100, I narrowed it down to the AAWireless, Carsifi and Motorola MA1.

AAWireless has a companion app with a lot of settings to fine tune things. I believe the settings allow you to troubleshoot and settle on a more reliable product.
Carsifi has a toggle button to be able to cycle through multiple phones. Not much of a benefit at the same price.
MA1 is made by Motorola and I saw that it had Google's backing. An actual manufacturer. I saw more negatives from when it was launched than more recent ones.

I the plugged the AAWireless it into the USB port that has data to the head unit.
Opened the app and it immediately ran me through a simple step by step setup.
Fired right up and began working. It connects pretty quickly after starting the vehicle. I'd say 15-25 seconds and it connects and fires up Android Auto.

I did experience some type of error where it would randomly reboot or make the music go BRRRRR. Where it does a quick sound loop. Sometimes it's a split second, others it will reboot. But it kicks back in quickly.

Digging in further I found the settings fix the issues. It's capable of running it's WiFi functions on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. If there's issues with one, just switch to the other.
If there's too much interference in your area, it can cause these issues. Changing to 2.4ghz made things better. I didn't experience it as much or often. I changed back to the 5ghz option and set the channel to 153. Seems to be a more open channel and is able to keep stability. After that, things have been great.

Upvote 0
I hate having to plug my phone. Not to mention when I do (also a Pixel 7 Pro) the audio still glitches out all the time and it has little buffering gaps to interrupt the music. I guess we can thank the USB2.0 port on the headunit for that. No amount of settings changes have allowed either of my phones to connect to AA without the random and frequent pausing issue.

I tried the Carlinkit 4.0 wireless kit and that was a huge waste of time and an absolutely terrible company to deal with to get it returned. Absolutely do not recommend.

To fix that random error you're getting try setting both the Android Auto app and the AAWireless app to have no battery restrictions in the settings. Seems to fix a lot of random issues like that. That also got me the best performance with the Android Auto app even while directly connected - still randomly buffers while music screaming though - incredibly annoying.

Does the AAWireless dongle get rid of the annoying gap-in-the-music issue while being responsive and not laggy when using the touch screen functions on the headunit?

I hate having to plug my phone. Not to mention when I do (also a Pixel 7 Pro) the audio still glitches out all the time and it has little buffering gaps to interrupt the music. I guess we can thank the USB2.0 port on the headunit for that. No amount of settings changes have allowed either of my phones to connect to AA without the random and frequent pausing issue.

I tried the Carlinkit 4.0 wireless kit and that was a huge waste of time and an absolutely terrible company to deal with to get it returned. Absolutely do not recommend.

To fix that random error you're getting try setting both the Android Auto app and the AAWireless app to have no battery restrictions in the settings. Seems to fix a lot of random issues like that. That also got me the best performance with the Android Auto app even while directly connected - still randomly buffers while music screaming though - incredibly annoying.

Does the AAWireless dongle get rid of the annoying gap-in-the-music issue while being responsive and not laggy when using the touch screen functions on the headunit?
I went through and did the whole optimization and allow permissions for everything. Also since I the mount is a wireless charger, it will always be at full power use since it's being charged.
Use YouTube Vanced for Music. Also installed Fermata, YouTube Auto and S2A. So I could mirror. I could stream everything on the factory 19 JBL Entune 2.0 unit and the Android. Just have to get around to it with this unit. Got YouTube working. Netflix has some DRM block so it will stream the audio and black out the video. Awful that Google always locked out casting. Surprisingly it did mirror with Weblink that was on the Sony unit. Sucks how you can cast certain things but not mirror.

Can you describe what you mean by gap in the music? Does it stop and go silent you mean? The head unit itself has never been laggy for me with this.

I also sideloaded Android Auto 8.9 or whatever the newest Coolwalk is. But I haven't figured out how to split screen Waze and the media player.

Can you describe what you mean by gap in the music? Does it stop and go silent you mean? The head unit itself has never been laggy for me with this.
The music just stops playing every few minutes when I have a phone plugged into the headunit. Idk how else to describe it. I'll be singing my heart out and randomly it just has a 1 sec pause that puts me in an awful mood. It only seems to do this while running Waze + audio and it only does this when directly connected regardless of how fancy a cable I connect. Absolutely perfect via BT but then I don't have a map. Debating just grabbing the factory nav add-on because this is such an annoyance. The newest factory headunit is already laggy in stock form I don't think it can handle AA tbh.

The music just stops playing every few minutes when I have a phone plugged into the headunit. Idk how else to describe it. I'll be singing my heart out and randomly it just has a 1 sec pause that puts me in an awful mood. It only seems to do this while running Waze + audio and it only does this when directly connected regardless of how fancy a cable I connect. Absolutely perfect via BT but then I don't have a map. Debating just grabbing the factory nav add-on because this is such an annoyance. The newest factory headunit is already laggy in stock form I don't think it can handle AA tbh.

Sounds like it's a Toyota side issue. Not Google/Android. If you're willing to spend 5-15 minutes to try and fix it, I could run you through updates. See if you are on the latest and hopefully it's an easy fix so you can check it off the list.

What's the factory nav add-on? Assuming you have the factory head unit. Do you mean swapping from the non-nav unit to nav unit? If it's something you're gonna have to buy, I'd recommend against factory navigation options as most auto manufacturers are straying away from it. That includes the lack of support, development and updates. So it get's obsolete pretty fast.

Have you checked for updates on the head unit? Just run through options. There might be an OTA available. Most of the Entune updates were to fix connectivity issues. It did seem to make my Bluetooth connection better when I was using my factory head unit.

Quick way would be to check: Home | Toyota Software (https://www.toyota.com/firmware-updates)
Sometimes even after checking for an OTA update and the Toyota Update Site it can be out of date. Seems they'll push out the update and only show on the site for more common issues. Since a lot of people don't use all the features or even notice the issues, they'll hold more recent updates and only install them as they come to the dealership.
If you give me the model and version numbers, I could check for you. I did some digging and familiarized myself with it. Figuring out Entune version, model, head unit make. The TSB's they released weren't completely accurate when listing versions. Manual update is easy to do and it can't be messed up because it is automated. It won't update without the correct file.

It'll be under Setup > General > Software Update > Update History?
It looks like this:
images

These are the 2 TSB's I used to figure out which update I needed. OTA and Toyota website said I didn't have an update available. But there was one available and mine was 2 versions behind from the latest. They didn't list the accurate years on the TSB corresponding to the updates. Downloaded it, threw it on a USB drive and flashed it. It fixed my Bluetooth issues. Then I believe there are even more recent files that aren't listed on updated TSB's.

Those TSB's don't apply to the 2021. It's a different unit with an automated check for updates and every time I look it says I have none. Every time I've looked online it also doesn't show any updates newer than what I had. Its media interface is still a usb 2.0 connection which I think is where the issue is. I don't think it can keep up. Many have reported this same issue on the other forum and nobody has found a fix yet. The previous model does not seem to have the same issues. I'll check the link again though and see if it has anything this time. I forget my model and I don't have the truck at work today because it's in the garage in pieces (per normal) so I'll check later.

I am planning to keep the OEM unit as long as possible just because so much is integrated into it and it fits the best. The aftermarket options are just tablets and look like crap. I'm just really ticked off with how terribly it works with the AA integration (while Carplay works flawlessly from what I've seen). Toyota has never been cutting edge with their audio electronics but this is ridiculous. Hopefully I'll be able to finish my audio overhaul this weekend and unless it sounds terrible with the stock headunit I don't plan to change it. I'm fine with Bluetooth audio it would just be nice to have the map on the screen without throughput issues.

Those TSB's don't apply to the 2021. It's a different unit with an automated check for updates and every time I look it says I have none. Every time I've looked online it also doesn't show any updates newer than what I had. Its media interface is still a usb 2.0 connection which I think is where the issue is. I don't think it can keep up. Many have reported this same issue on the other forum and nobody has found a fix yet. The previous model does not seem to have the same issues. I'll check the link again though and see if it has anything this time. I forget my model and I don't have the truck at work today because it's in the garage in pieces (per normal) so I'll check later.

I am planning to keep the OEM unit as long as possible just because so much is integrated into it and it fits the best. The aftermarket options are just tablets and look like crap. I'm just really ticked off with how terribly it works with the AA integration (while Carplay works flawlessly from what I've seen). Toyota has never been cutting edge with their audio electronics but this is ridiculous. Hopefully I'll be able to finish my audio overhaul this weekend and unless it sounds terrible with the stock headunit I don't plan to change it. I'm fine with Bluetooth audio it would just be nice to have the map on the screen without throughput issues.

That's the discrepancy I ran into. Did you check and compare the build and model numbers? It was the same as my 2019. The TSB didn't even include the 2019 as a Tacoma or even the manufacturer mentioned. So I was just wouldn't hurt to just check. Then there's also the update files out there that aren't on the TSB. Like they developed the updates and just didn't get around to creating the TSB and making it official. Also the automated check doesn't always work and it can be behind or not even sync. Since it's data file, I believe that's something that goes over the data network. So it requires Toyota's Entune App, but Toyota discontinued the Entune App Suite or whatever it was. Don't know if they worked it into the new apps.

UPDATE: AAWireless Dongle was updated. AAW001 to AAW002.

They were originally manufactured in China for the initial batch and production year.
This came in a white box with colored logo. USB end is large.
pxl_20220713_102844088-jpg.166568

Recently they moved production to Europe. I'm guessing AAW002 is from Europe. It's now packaged in a brown box with logo. Includes a different USB Cable with the AAWireless logo.

I'll get a picture sometime.

I swapped my AAW001 the AAW002 and new cable. The random "brrrrrr" haven't happened since. Using the factory settings and didn't change anything.
Issue could have been the first version's included cable. A lot of people reported after switching to a different quality cable their issues also stopped. I can't say for sure if it was the unit's hardware or cable. But swapping both makes it everything I expected it to be.

FINAL UPDATE: Been using the newest version of the dongle. Works flawlessly. No issues. Hasn't skipped or reset since swapping the unit and cable. Don't know if it was the unit or the cable. But it is working as advertised.

Back