• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

4.88's or 5.29's for your Tacoma?

So basically on factory ECU governor cuts at 87mph?
I do have VFTuner. Guess I would just need to flash from the tune I'm on now to the 5.29 one.

I know that you have to add that as an option on the tune, I did that for alternator output for my agm battery as well

Great write up! I am on 33s but running with about 600 lbs of crap in the back, some in the front. I upgraded to 5.29s a year ago and I have some acceleration back, while off roading hills have become much easier. I was a great upgrade!

What registers the speed and mileage? I know size of the tire changes it...
Large displays slower due to less rotation.

But how does the truck receive that data to display. Is it the same sensor that calculates both?

The ABS sensors measure the speed and I assume the distance traveled. If you only change your gears, then no worries.

What if you change tires?

If you go with bigger tires, then your speedo and odometer will be off. You can use a product from Hypertech (I think it’s called) that you put inline with the existing factory harness inside your dash that will correct it.

If you go with bigger tires, then your speedo and odometer will be off. You can use a product from Hypertech (I think it’s called) that you put inline with the existing factory harness inside your dash that will correct it.
So would that also affect consumption? MPG and distance to empty readings?
If it does, would that make MPG average lower and you'd have more distance before it's empty than what it reads?

This will still read incorrectly depending on your “non-stock tire size” and “non-stock weight” your truck modifications added to your stock curb weight.

Last edited:
If it does, would that make MPG average lower and you'd have more distance before it's empty than what it reads?
I have 5.29s on 33” tires and at 70mph my GPS reads 73 mph, so any speed/fuel discrepancy is going to be minimal.

I have 5.29s on 33” tires and at 70mph my GPS reads 73 mph, so any speed/fuel discrepancy is going to be minimal.
I get what you're saying. Just me being weird. When driving 73mph, you're speedometer reads 70mph. That's 4.1%. The faster you go, the greater the discrepancy becomes. So from my understanding it would throw the odometer off. Minimal yes. Highway miles would slowly throw it off.
Might just be me as I was a Database Management major. I'm just very a literal, systematic, and logical person when it comes to data. It would just always bug me. I'm just being too much. I know.

I’m running 285/75/17’s and I’m off about 10% on everything. I just got used to it. For example, if your odometer reads 200, then you multiply that by 1.1 for the actual mileage. The same hold true for your average MPG. If your truck reads 14.6 (like mine), then multiply that by 1.1 for the actual.

Conversely, if you wanted to travel 200 miles, then you would multiply that by .91, which is the inverse of 1.1, so your odometer would read 182.

BTW. I have 488’s.

I get what you're saying. Just me being weird. When driving 73mph, you're speedometer reads 70mph. That's 4.1%. The faster you go, the greater the discrepancy becomes. So from my understanding it would throw the odometer off. Minimal yes. Highway miles would slowly throw it off.
Might just be me as I was a Database Management major. I'm just very a literal, systematic, and logical person when it comes to data. It would just always bug me. I'm just being too much. I know.
Yeah, I am very much a “close enough” kind of guy. Plus, 75 is about top speed for me in my rig. Just too much weight and a RTT.

I’m running 285/75/17’s and I’m off about 10% on everything. I just got used to it. For example, if your odometer reads 200, then you multiply that by 1.1 for the actual mileage. The same hold true for your average MPG. If your truck reads 14.6 (like mine), then multiply that by 1.1 for the actual.

Conversely, if you wanted to travel 200 miles, then you would multiply that by .91, which is the inverse of 1.1, so your odometer would read 182.

BTW. I have 488’s.

Hey now! Just because I'm Korean doesn't mean I like the maths.

Id go with 4.88. those wont be enough for 5.29 to really be needed. if you plan on going up to 35" tires i would consider it, but for your build, id go with the 4.88. youll be happy! When you're ready to buy, shoot us a pm and we'll give you the group discount!
Have you witnessed any issues with the 8" differential?

Yeah, I am very much a “close enough” kind of guy. Plus, 75 is about top speed for me in my rig. Just too much weight and a RTT.
I found that calibrating the speedo had a positive effect on shifting and performance as well as correcting the fuel range calc and MPG calculations.

-M

OK, having run 5.29s on 295/70R17s for a couple of months now, I have found no downside. Have been all around Michigan, road tripped to Colorado, did some wheeling out there, drove back, etc, etc... I typically highway cruise at ~75mph. RPMs are fine.

OK, having run 5.29s on 295/70R17s for a couple of months now, I have found no downside. Have been all around Michigan, road tripped to Colorado, did some wheeling out there, drove back, etc, etc... I typically highway cruise at ~75mph. RPMs are fine.
I live in Michigan too. Could you tell me where you had this done? Or you did it yourself?

2022 TRD Off road with 285/70/17s with bed rack and overland tent...went with 5.29s. Acceleration is great hwy cruising at 75 is good at around 26-2700rpms. I noticed that I can't go over 83mph now. Thinking of getting a tune short term and going with a supercharger in the future. The 83mph limit is the only thing that bugs the crap out of me.

2022 TRD Off road with 285/70/17s with bed rack and overland tent...went with 5.29s. Acceleration is great hwy cruising at 75 is good at around 26-2700rpms. I noticed that I can't go over 83mph now. Thinking of getting a tune short term and going with a supercharger in the future. The 83mph limit is the only thing that bugs the crap out of me.

This is really interesting. Maybe it has something to do with the built-in speed limiter? Or do you just run out of power and it wont accelerate?

This is really interesting. Maybe it has something to do with the built-in speed limiter? Or do you just run out of power and it wont accelerate?
It's the built in speed limiter. The new gearing throws off the system and it thinks you're going faster that you are. A tune option will fix it

I think the assumption was that it was designed to limit the driveshaft or output shaft speed. I have mine tuned out and haven't seen any issues, but I don't often push past 83 mph.

Back