• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

4.88's or 5.29's for your Tacoma?

Battle Born Offroad

battlebornoffroad.net
Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.battlebornoffroad.net
Nitro-Logo.jpg

Overview
While most people jump on suspension, armor, and lighting right off the bat, people always forget about their differential gears!!! The Tacoma stock comes with a 3.5L V6 that produces an impressive 278 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque. The problem is, with all that power, 3.90 Gears are not the right gearing for this truck! Although Toyota put in a great 6 speed transmission, it rarely hits 6th gear...... and why is that? Its the gears! So what's the point of the more efficient and more powerful 3.5L with a 6 speed transmission if you can't use its potential? This leads us to the bigger question on where to start to replace the gears. Many will argue, 4.88's or 5.29's for the tacoma? Many people believe jumping to 5.29 gears is a huge jump from the stock 3.90, but since toyota didn't put the best gears possible for the start, it's not as big of a jump as most of you would think. Below, we're going to explain some of the reasons why you should go 4.88 gears and why you would go 5.29s in some cases.

4.88 Gears from Nitro
-Tire Size: If you have stock tire size or anything up to a 33" Tire (285/70/17) this is where you want to be, but there is a catch. If your complete stock with no additional weight, this is where you want to be. If you have a bed rack, tent, armor, bed systems etc. and have 33" tires, head down to the 5.29 section.
-Armor: No steel bumpers and some minor armor such as skid plates or a hybrid bumper.
-Lighting: Although we love lighting, this wont make a factor on your gears decision :)
-Supercharger: Although no supercharger exists (yet......) if anyone sees this thread in the future, a gear upgrade will bring your supercharger to its full potential.

5.29 Gears from Nitro
-Tire Size: 33" (with additional weight 400lb+) or anything larger such as 34" (285/75/17) or a 35" tire or beyond
-Overland Gear: Overland gear such as fuel, tents, bed racks, camping gear etc adds addtional weight to your vehicle. If your one who is always ready for their next adventure, 5.29s are the gears for you!!!
-Armor: 5.29 Gears will help with the additional weight that is brought on from Bumpers, Skid Plates and Cages
-Supercharger: Although no supercharger exists (yet......) if anyone sees this thread in the future, a gear upgrade will bring your supercharger to its full potential.

Where to Buy and How to Install!!!
There are many places to buy Gears but Battle Born Offroad is the top destination! As an authorized Nitro Gear Dealer, we are glad to set you up with the best gears in the business! Please use the link below to purchase and use Promo Code T3G at checkout for a forum discount! All Gear Orders ship free within the continental US. We do ship international and to Alaska & Hawaii but a shipping charge will apply. Please note if you have a factory E-Locker or if you dont have a factory E-Locker before purchasing as they are different kits, if you are looking for No Factory Locker Versions, please PM us here (CLICK HERE).

Nitro 4.88 Gears with Factory E-Locker (Click Here)
Nitro 5.29 Gears with Factory E-Locker (Click Here)

Installation on gears is a difficult install and should not be taken lightly. We always recommend professional install. Installation prices will vary but we see them range from $700-$1300 depending on the shop. If you decide to tackle this task on your own, please remember this is not an install for the faint of heart.

QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
If you have any questions or concerns, please PM us here (CLICK HERE) and we would be glad to help! If you are wanting a package deal on a ARB Locker and Gears, feel free to shoot us a pm as well! We look forward to helping you as always!

full steel bumpers skids and cap with drawer system in the bed, I'm getting desperate for 5.29's lol. Probably gonna do it with 35s though when I eventually save up the pennies.

What are the consequences of running 5.29's in a stock configuration, before you start getting all the overlanding gear and 33's?

Thanks in advance

Well first gear would be super low, and 75 on the freeway Im sure would be screaming in the 3-4k rpm range with 5.29's. Im running 32" now and want to do the 4.88's, but one thing will lead to another, after that, then once I try to put a larger tire on, then comes a lift then???

Thank you for that info. I plan on getting a Taco in about a year so I'm trying to plan out how I want to attack the upgrade process. I appreciate the reply!!!

Been watching a lot of videos and reading up about Re-gearing. Specifically the youtube video that Nitro Gear put out on installing the 4.88 on the stock TRD Offroad.

Quick question i guess - i'm running 285/70/17s now and currently don't have any racks/RTT installed, however i'm thinking about going that route in the near future (budgets permitting). Should i just opt with 4.88 or preemptive plan on the 5.29?

Been watching a lot of videos and reading up about Re-gearing. Specifically the youtube video that Nitro Gear put out on installing the 4.88 on the stock TRD Offroad.

Quick question i guess - i'm running 285/70/17s now and currently don't have any racks/RTT installed, however i'm thinking about going that route in the near future (budgets permitting). Should i just opt with 4.88 or preemptive plan on the 5.29?
Id go with 4.88. those wont be enough for 5.29 to really be needed. if you plan on going up to 35" tires i would consider it, but for your build, id go with the 4.88. youll be happy! When you're ready to buy, shoot us a pm and we'll give you the group discount!

so my trucks fat ass needs 5.29's even though im not gonna run a 35"

I too am trying to decide what gears I should go with. Right now I'm running about 350lbs of armor on the truck with 33 inch tires. Eventually I will probably add a steel rear high clearance and possibly 34's or 35's, but that's not happening anytime soon. I also live in Denver and drive into the mountains about 3 times a month. I'm leaning towards 5.29s but not totally sold on the idea. Would I be making the right decision?

I too am trying to decide what gears I should go with. Right now I'm running about 350lbs of armor on the truck with 33 inch tires. Eventually I will probably add a steel rear high clearance and possibly 34's or 35's, but that's not happening anytime soon. I also live in Denver and drive into the mountains about 3 times a month. I'm leaning towards 5.29s but not totally sold on the idea. Would I be making the right decision?
I would go with 5.29 based on the description of your rig. it will work well with what you have now, then still have enough wiggle room if you add more armor/bigger tires. Either way we can help you save some money on gears!

@Battle Born Offroad - Like everyone above, I’m on the fence between the two options. I have a 2” lift and 285/75/16s. I carry camping gear and have roof racks, It is my daily driver however. I plan on towing a camper in the future. Any recommendations? Also, any recommendation on a shop in Salt Lake City, UT?

@Battle Born Offroad - Like everyone above, I’m on the fence between the two options. I have a 2” lift and 285/75/16s. I carry camping gear and have roof racks, It is my daily driver however. I plan on towing a camper in the future. Any recommendations? Also, any recommendation on a shop in Salt Lake City, UT?

I had my gears done by Midnight 4x4 in Salt Lake.

I have 488 Nitro’s that are REM polished. They didn’t have 529’s, when I did mine. Otherwise, I would’ve went that route. I’m not disappointed by any means. I just would’ve preferred the lower range.

I'll eventually be running 285/75-16 in a TRD OR Auto with 2 adults and 2 kids and gear with a trailer at times for Overlanding and light 4 wheeling. I'm thinking the 5.29s will be good.

-M

I've got a 2019 Tacoma, V6, Manual 6 speed, TRD Off-Road. I've also got a camper shell on the truck.
I live in Houston, TX., and recently got back from a trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, Devils Tower and Mt. Rushmore.
Awesome sights!
Anyway, I pulled a Mallard M185 Camper all the way. With the factory 4.30 gears, I could never get into 5th gear. (I would never pull that trailer in 6th).
Some of the hills between Houston and the Amarillo, TX. area forced me into 3rd gear.
A lot of the mountain passes in Wyoming and Montana forced me down to 2nd gear.
I don't plan on putting larger tires on the Tacoma, I just need more uummpphh!
Any recommendations on 4.88 or 5.29 gearing?

I've got a 2019 Tacoma, V6, Manual 6 speed, TRD Off-Road. I've also got a camper shell on the truck.
I live in Houston, TX., and recently got back from a trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, Devils Tower and Mt. Rushmore.
Awesome sights!
Anyway, I pulled a Mallard M185 Camper all the way. With the factory 4.30 gears, I could never get into 5th gear. (I would never pull that trailer in 6th).
Some of the hills between Houston and the Amarillo, TX. area forced me into 3rd gear.
A lot of the mountain passes in Wyoming and Montana forced me down to 2nd gear.
I don't plan on putting larger tires on the Tacoma, I just need more uummpphh!
Any recommendations on 4.88 or 5.29 gearing?

I just did the same trip but from Chicago, if you are not gonna lift or bigger tires, 4.88s should do.

Just wanted to confirm which direction I need to go - I'm thinking 5.29s.

I have skinny 33s (255/28/16) and I don't plan on getting anything larger than those with about 2.5" lift all around. As far as loads on the truck that are constant, they are the front steel bumper with a winch, bed rack with road shower, maxtrax and a shovel mounted. I do plan on adding a roll up tonneau cover as well. My RTT is only mounted on my truck when I plan on loading up for a trip. This is my daily driver and I'm on pavement probably 90% of year. So, do I have it right going with 5.29s?

2018 Offroad (MT) pulled a 6000lb Airstream from Philly to Oregon the winding way (10k miles) and burned out the clutch crossing the last pass from Idaho into Oregon. Pretty sure the Tetons finished her off. Anyway stock wheels/tires, OME Dakars on back, 886s up front - always fully loaded GAVW 11500lbs.

I would have guessed 5.29s (with 91 KDMax tune and HD flywheel) but perhaps 4.88 might be better. I’ve run the gear ratio calculations but unclear on how load impacts this decision. May make modest increase in tire size to a 265-75R16 on the stock rims.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OK, having run 5.29s on 295/70R17s for a couple of months now, I have found no downside. Have been all around Michigan, road tripped to Colorado, did some wheeling out there, drove back, etc, etc... I typically highway cruise at ~75mph. RPMs are fine.

Is this the full kit? Has everything for the front and rear?
GPTACO2016-8.75-5.29

How do you know if you have the factory E-locker? Is it all 2016+ O/R have it?

Part of the TRD off road package for the 4x4’s have the rear e-locker.

I have had 5.29’s from almost the start of my build. Now that I am almost done i am glad I have them in. If anything it could be lower in my opinion

I have had 5.29’s from almost the start of my build. Now that I am almost done i am glad I have them in. If anything it could be lower in my opinion

I've been debating on doing it. Seems so troublesome.
Stuck between that and something else I've had my eye on. Ugh.

After going 5.29, does your speedometer read correctly? You get a speedometer calibrator?

Last edited:
I've been debating on doing it. Seems so troublesome.
Stuck between that and something else I've had my eye on. Ugh.

After going 5.29, does your speedometer read correctly? You get a speedometer calibrator?

Gears don’t affect your speedo. Tires do. That’s where your speed is read.

Gears don’t affect your speedo. Tires do. That’s where your speed is read.

What registers the speed and mileage? I know size of the tire changes it...
Large displays slower due to less rotation.

But how does the truck receive that data to display. Is it the same sensor that calculates both?

What registers the speed and mileage? I know size of the tire changes it...
Large displays slower due to less rotation.

But how does the truck receive that data to display. Is it the same sensor that calculates both?

the only limitation that’s effected without a tune is you are limited to 87mph ish on top speed. I forget where that speed is taken. I know hearing effects that governors speed because it’s spinning faster at due to lower gears and kicks in at a lower speed than normal. I have 285:75/17 tired and I am always only 2-3mph off of gps speed

the only limitation that’s effected without a tune is you are limited to 87mph ish on top speed. I forget where that speed is taken. I know hearing effects that governors speed because it’s spinning faster at due to lower gears and kicks in at a lower speed than normal. I have 285:75/17 tired and I am always only 2-3mph off of gps speed
So basically on factory ECU governor cuts at 87mph?
I do have VFTuner. Guess I would just need to flash from the tune I'm on now to the 5.29 one.

Back