• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

4.88 Gears Whens a good time?

Flinky

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCLB Auto
Midnight Black
2018 has been great for my truck...perhaps not for my bank account lol.

Added:
-Canopy
-Full prinsu (cab and canopy)
-Steel bolt on sliders
-Tepui awnings (2x5')
-Method NV 16" Wheels
- 265/75/R16 E rated K02's
(usually load it up with mtb, surfboards, gear etc)

With the addition of the canopy and sliders I noticed the truck doesn't drive quite as smooth (shifting and not as much pep when you punch it.) I understand the weight is going to have this effect on my gas milage, shifting etc (I expected that). What I am wondering is if it is time to upgrade to the nitro 4.88 gears or if that would be overkill.

I have hear of a few guys doing the 4.88 gears and the OV tune and having a good result with drivability and gas milage. Just wondering as I also have to drive a lot of highway km with this beauty.

Advice, opinions?

Have you already done your research on the 4.88s compared to the 5.29s?

Have you already considered starting with OVTune instead of regearing? It’s a little cheaper and will still give you the improvement you are looking for. Then you can see where you’re at and think about regearing and/or larger tires with regearing. That’s what my plan is.

Upvote 0

Have you already considered starting with OVTune instead of regearing? It’s a little cheaper and will still give you the improvement you are looking for. Then you can see where you’re at and think about regearing and/or larger tires with regearing. That’s what my plan is.
I want to get the ov tune in all honesty just to try it lol ?

Upvote 0
If you plan to go with bigger tires in the future, then I would look into the 5.29’s. I have the 4.88’s with 34’s and all steel armor, the truck runs pretty smooth, but I think the 5.29’s would be the sweet spot.

Upvote 0
If you plan to go with bigger tires in the future, then I would look into the 5.29’s. I have the 4.88’s with 34’s and all steel armor, the truck runs pretty smooth, but I think the 5.29’s would be the sweet spot.
Agreed, NITROgears themselves will tell you with the new 3.5 V6 in the 3rd gen that 5.29's are optimal for anything larger than a 33" tire

Upvote 0
Agreed, NITROgears themselves will tell you with the new 3.5 V6 in the 3rd gen that 5.29's are optimal for anything larger than a 33" tire

Interesting, I’ve been thinking to get 4.88s sometime in 2019. I will not be carrying a rack or any overlanding type equipment tho. Strictly for the weekend off-roading. I do not plan on any tires larger than 35s. Would their recommendations still apply?

Upvote 0
Interesting, I’ve been thinking to get 4.88s sometime in 2019. I will not be carrying a rack or any overlanding type equipment tho. Strictly for the weekend off-roading. I do not plan on any tires larger than 35s. Would their recommendations still apply?

For the current displacement of this engine 35”+ is recommended 5.29’s however you can be fine without rehearing. The problem lies with the low end torque which there pretty much is none. Add 35” tires especially E-Rated and you reduce that even more. Rehearing doesn’t really aid in your fuel mileage but more so with your torque. 4.88’s May work just fine for you. But in my opinion if you’re spending the money and planning to run 35s then you may as well go 5.29 since it’s similarly priced.

Upvote 0
If you overkill with 5.29s you’ll be fine. And you say you don’t want much gear or armor on your rig now, but if you ever did, you have that peace of mind. If you “underkill” with the 4.88s and end up with 35s and some unplanned extra weight, you might be wishing you just went with 5.29s like I see from some guys, *cough* @Victory4x4.

Upvote 0
If you overkill with 5.29s you’ll be fine. And you say you don’t want much gear or armor on your rig now, but if you ever did, you have that peace of mind. If you “underkill” with the 4.88s and end up with 35s and some unplanned extra weight, you might be wishing you just went with 5.29s like I see from some guys, *cough* @Victory4x4.
#Truth but to be fair, the only times I really need more gear is crawling or pulling the camper.

Upvote 0

Was probably going to do the OV tune first. Then when I up my tire size maybe look at re Gearing. Was just interested to see peoples opinions as I haven't seen a ton of posts about when its a good time to do this. I have heard great results though.

Upvote 0
Back