• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Audio 3rd gen speaker upgrade

Tylewis25

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I have stock speakers in my 18 Tacoma and want to upgrade cause I can’t hear a damn thing when all the windows are down. Any recommendations?

I have stock speakers in my 18 Tacoma and want to upgrade cause I can’t hear a damn thing when all the windows are down. Any recommendations?
I’m making a video on this soon, I’d recommend checking out Crutchfield I got everything kicker for my setup and they send connections for a plug and play and brackets necessary for install, as far as tweeter upgrade I also got kicker those I found on amazon.com and there also a plug and play I think if I remember correctly it shows there for Subaru but it’ll still fit and as far as my subwoofer I also got a kicker that not sure how I’m going to mount that yet since our trucks have very little room so I’ll probabky mock up a box or something , hope that helps ?

I replaced and rewired all my door speakers. Installed a jl steathbox. Amped them all with a 5 channel amp. A little extreme but I can hear it all perfectly fine with the windows down

I threw in all kicker speakers and I got clear sound even at higher volume, they put out decent bass as well without the need for an amplifier
Currently not running a subwoofer

My setup:

I needed to type that out for something else, sorry if it's too much info :p
Let me know if you have any questions about wiring or setup.

20190214_145314.jpg
20190214_145643.jpg
20190214_145718.jpg

Last edited:
I did a lot and finally came to this:

Amp: Arc Audio 850.5XDi - D class 5 way

Front: Morell Tempo Ultra 692 components - I wired these

Rears: Morell Tempo Ultra Integra 602

Sub - Audison APS 10D - I purchased from a member on diyma

Sub Box - Mr. Marv birchwood with amp rack

tweeter adapters

I use the OEM head unit, and soldered my own harnesses that went from head unit to amp, then amp back to the OEM speaker wires. when I switched to the morels, I ran my own wires to the fronts, but kept the rears on the original harness, still running off the amp. When I decide to finally change out the head unit, I'll have a lot of clean up to do. You can see more in my build thread, there was an "evolution" if you will......
My "system" is loud, but very clear, with little ear fatigue. I mostly listen to books on my commute right now, but when the music comes on, the truck shakes.

https://tacoma3g.com/threads/coastierons-silver-build-bs.69/

mvimg_20180518_160635-jpg.1125

Last edited:
I replaced and rewired all my door speakers. Installed a jl steathbox. Amped them all with a 5 channel amp. A little extreme but I can hear it all perfectly fine with the windows down
Are there any videos showing how to change the speaker wires?

Good evening,

So I have looked most of the day at multiple different places looking for a sub and amp addition. I have a 19' OR double cab with the tech package, so I have the JBL system, which is lackluster at best. I am only going to be adding a sub and amp at this time and keeping the HU as is for now. Everything I looked up was pushing people to change the head unit out and doing a complete gut job of the sound system, but I don't have that amount of cash flow for it right now. I have a JL 12W3v3-4 with a box and a JL audio 5001/d amp. What can I do to make this as easy/streamlined as possible to just add it and not replace the HU. Thanks in advance.

Back