• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

3rd gen big brake upgrades? (Powerbrake X1 install)

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Anyone done a big brake upgrade to their Tacoma? I've been looking around at options. I see there are a few here 2005-2021 TACOMA | SOS Performance, Tundra Racing, Stoptech Big Brake Kit Rear Disc and also here Wilwood Disc Brakes.

More expensive than I was expecting but I kind of don't have a choice. Most people definitely don't need racing brakes from a racing company but with how heavy my truck is, I think I do. There other thing is that they are apparently around 40 lbs lighter than stock brakes, which is huge for my heavy ass truck.

Anyone else running something else?

I am very interested in this topic. I assume you are just talking about swapping out the front and keeping the drums on the rear or do you want to do all four? Is it possible to do all 4 without a massive overhaul? I don't know shit about shit but I am curious about what people have done.

check out this power brake system. seekoutbeauty had posted about it on his Instagram story and
I think they are the nicest upgrade out there. None of these big brake upgrades are cheap buy any means. You know how if goes though, buy once cry once lol. And And I wouldn't cheap out on something that could save your life.

Powerbrake X1 Big Brake Kit Stage 1 for 2005+ Toyota Tacoma

I am very interested in this topic. I assume you are just talking about swapping out the front and keeping the drums on the rear or do you want to do all four? Is it possible to do all 4 without a massive overhaul? I don't know shit about shit but I am curious about what people have done.
I don’t really want to do all 4 for now. They do make kits to do that (in the first link I posted, I think) but you should also put in a bigger master cylinder (from a Tundra, perhaps), if you do that.

Even though my truck is very much overweight and on big tires, I don’t think I need to convert the rear. Especially when you consider the stopping power I would probably (hopefully) get from a $1,200 front kit.

I don’t really want to do all 4 for now. They do make kits to do that (in the first link I posted, I think) but you should also put in a bigger master cylinder (from a Tundra, perhaps), if you do that.

Even though my truck is very much overweight and on big tires, I don’t think I need to convert the rear. Especially when you consider the stopping power I would probably (hopefully) get from a $1,200 front kit.
That said, is there a “big drum” kit? I don’t think so. Would it make a noticeable difference? I’m not sure. But the idea is intriguing.

check out this power brake system. seekoutbeauty had posted about it on his Instagram story and
I think they are the nicest upgrade out there. None of these big brake upgrades are cheap buy any means. You know how if goes though, buy once cry once lol. And And I wouldn't cheap out on something that could save your life.

Damn, I thought the Wilwoods I linked to were the most expensive/best option. These just made those look like bicycle pad brakes, lol.

I’ll do my research on these. Like you said, safety shouldn’t be half assed.

My truck is REALLY heavy now. And we don’t want to die. Therefore, we’re able to justify the price of this kit or maybe even the more expensive X2 version.

I’m just waiting on some questions to be answered by Powerbrake. I’ll update soon.

966C784D-A742-4100-8837-E1A0C6245FFD.jpeg

I decided to go all in on this. Big $$$, big brakes, big safety. Installing them today.

1627907293051.png

oh snap thats the big boy kit!!

Yeah our heavy trucks need these types of brakes badly, I hope to do the wilwood kit later this winter. They really under-rated the tacoma's brakes when engineering the truck. Especially the rear, ive had nothing but issue with the drums too.

oh snap thats the big boy kit!!

Yeah our heavy trucks need these types of brakes badly, I hope to do the wilwood kit later this winter. They really under-rated the tacoma's brakes when engineering the truck. Especially the rear, ive had nothing but issue with the drums too.
I got the biiiig boy kit cause I think I might literally have the heaviest 3G Taco on the road. I have to have it weighed this week.

I reallllly hope these big boys make a huge difference because my truck obviously doesn’t stop well.

I think the Tacoma uses 80:20 for front:rear braking. Do you know if that’s true? Cause I think my drums are shot too if they only do 20% of the braking, I guess there wouldn’t be a huge reason to try to upgrade them as opposed to sticking with OEM.

I got the biiiig boy kit cause I think I might literally have the heaviest 3G Taco on the road. I have to have it weighed this week.

I reallllly hope these big boys make a huge difference because my truck obviously doesn’t stop well.

I think the Tacoma uses 80:20 for front:rear braking. Do you know if that’s true? Cause I think my drums are shot too if they only do 20% of the braking, I guess there wouldn’t be a huge reason to try to upgrade them as opposed to sticking with OEM.
Haha I weighed in at 6780 the other day as we were leaving for a trip (Full 9 gallons spare fuel, 20 gallons water, all the camping gear crap, etc.) ...About time the truck and myself lose some weight :p I cant imagine what your rig must weigh!!

Im not sure the bias the tacoma brake system has. The only reason I would replace the drums to disc is because of quick inspection and service when off-roading. Its hard to see whats going on until failure with the drums. If you dont replace your drums, at least carry a spare wheel cylinder with you in case shit hits the fan

Haha I weighed in at 6780 the other day as we were leaving for a trip (Full 9 gallons spare fuel, 20 gallons water, all the camping gear crap, etc.) ...About time the truck and myself lose some weight :p I cant imagine what your rig must weigh!!

Im not sure the bias the tacoma brake system has. The only reason I would replace the drums to disc is because of quick inspection and service when off-roading. Its hard to see whats going on until failure with the drums. If you dont replace your drums, at least carry a spare wheel cylinder with you in case shit hits the fan
True about the drums. I have never opened mine up but they must be disgusting, especially after that time I got stuck in the Salton Sea. But besides the corrosion and probable damage (lol), I think the pads are probably fine for now. I do want to inspect them soon though.

I’m gonna see if I can find the thread where I posted the weight of my truck before I got the camper. Please hold . . .

@New Holland Overland — finding the thread was faster than expected.

Based off of what I said back then (quoted below), I think my truck might be right in that estimate of 7400 to 8000 as it sits now with the fully built camper, full-time living gear and belongings, and 37s.

Don’t tell anyone :censored:

But yeah, I’m super curious to see what it actually weighs later this week.

I weighed my Tacoma before I got my camper, which otherwise had the same mods it does now, and it came in at 5,800 lbs.

I weighed it again today with the camper and a small amount of stuff inside the camper and it came in at 6,720 lbs. I think the camper itself weighs 830 lbs which means I have about 90 lbs of stuff in the truck (which I would consider to be missing most of my usual gear).

This last number is a total guess, but when my truck is packed out to be lived in, including all gear, water, gas cans, people, dogs, etc, I'd think that would be another 800ish lbs? Probably a bit more?

Therefore, I can assume I will be traveling the world in a 7,400-8,000 lb Tacoma.

Will those bad boys work with 16in wheels.

I’ll take some pictures of the caliper inside the wheel tomorrow.

I am Interested in this kit! Anyone upgrade their master cylinder as well to compensate?
Quick response (I can go into further detail when I have more time):

For my kit, there is no need. The owners of the company are brothers from South Africa. It’s a family business and their engineering is based off of the Dakar race trucks, which the family is involved in. One of the brothers is living in NC now and I got to meet him a few times. He’s one of the nicest and most knowledge guys I know, and if you want I can put you in contact with him so he can explain it all.

Quick response (I can go into further detail when I have more time):

For my kit, there is no need. The owners of the company are brothers from South Africa. It’s a family business and their engineering is based off of the Dakar race trucks, which the family is involved in. One of the brothers is living in NC now and I got to meet him a few times. He’s one of the nicest and most knowledge guys I know, and if you want I can put you in contact with him so he can explain it all.

That’s awesome you gotta meet and chat with them!

I heard people add the Tundra disc brakes on the Tacoma… replacing the drums …?

After my lift, camper top and larger tires, I can feel the Tacoma on down hills …wanting to speed up ,more then before…therefore I now need to press the brakes a lot harder….l live on a mountain side….

Always nice to have a better braking system….for much heavier Tacoma’s ….
The mods never end…lol

After my lift, camper top and larger tires, I can feel the Tacoma on down hills …wanting to speed up ,more then before…therefore I now need to press the brakes a lot harder….l live on a mountain side….

The mods never end…lol
I am definitely not as heavy as some but I live in the mountains as well. I definitely need something. My truck made the tune and 5.29s seem like nothing so I am heavy enough I guess haha

The mods never end…lol
Until you get some new brakes, definitely shift down to 2nd/3rd gear when going down steep grades if your truck is automatic. It helps tremendously.

@Tyler After some time with the powerbrakes how are you liking them??
15,000+ miles on them already and they are still killer. I intend to do a more detailed write up about them but if anyone has any questions in the mean time, let me know.

As heavy as my truck is, it genuinely stops like a stock truck. But people think there’s no way.

15,000+ miles on them already and they are still killer. I intend to do a more detailed write up about them but if anyone has any questions in the mean time, let me know.

As heavy as my truck is, it genuinely stops like a stock truck. But people think there’s no way.
im chewing through front and rear brakes (Both only last 15-20K miles right now) so I need to do what you did for the BBK in front...working on a rear disc conversion for the rear since those seem to not last either.

Excited for your writeup! Ive been eyeing the powerstop brakes for years now, but the new powerbrake setup you have looks amazing!

Back