• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

33s or 35s

TacoBori

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Quicksand
Im currently running 32.7 (285-70-17) and love them. But just curious as too whats needed to take it to the next level and get 35s?

Attachments

• 20180223_153712.jpg
    20180223_153712.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 972
- a serious cmc
- trimming fenders 2''
- beating pinch weld outwards so its flush.
- beating the firewall back.
- trimming/ removal of fender liners.
- ensure caster of uca to be 4*. you want as much clearance to be able to turn the wheel.

where you get these prices at? I heard it was 800 for parts and 1300 for install..

I paid around 1100 $ for nitro gear master sets. I paid 900$ for install which took 4 hours.

I was quoted from multiple places 1450$ for gears, and 1200-2000 for install and from 3-5 days they wanted my truck. I feel i got a decent deal. I used “martins mobile gears” in LA area. He has a shop in riverside i dropped it off at.

https://www.nitro-gear.com/Toyota-8-75-Nitro-Gear-Package-p/gptaco2016-4.88-8.75.htm

Dont forget more than likely atleast 4.56 gears if you dont already have them or 4.88 Gears 1100$ install 1000$
expensive thats at least 5k or under just to upgrade to 35" tires depending on the tires to. ill stick with my 33 for now, gotta save $ lol.

- a serious cmc
- trimming fenders 2''
- beating pinch weld outwards so its flush.
- beating the firewall back.
- trimming/ removal of fender liners.
- ensure caster of uca to be 4*. you want as much clearance to be able to turn the wheel.
Dam. Yeah thats not happening anytime soon lol

Dam. Yeah thats not happening anytime soon lol
you have the suspension and the UCA'S ALREADY. find a reputable shop that will do your cmc and go buy a heat gun and a baby sledge hammer and go to town. and have a dremel ready for trimming. if you dont put in the work, you will never see the RESULTS!!!!!!

you have the suspension and the UCA'S ALREADY. find a reputable shop that will do your cmc and go buy a heat gun and a baby sledge hammer and go to town. and have a dremel ready for trimming. if you dont put in the work, you will never see the RESULTS!!!!!!
Very true but its a big step lol maybe down the line once i get a few more years (and miles) on my truck

You wont need a regear "right away" but you would eventually. We have actually found that these third generation Tacoma's "shift" easier when using a 35" tire. For whatever reason the load on the drivetrain seems to help the transmission find gears a lot better. That being said everything else is correct (and we still recommend re-gearing if you can)! We do our gears here at 1000.00 for installation and we use complete housings from ECGS. Our last install included an ARB air locker in the rear and we got the housings for 3300 from ECGS and gave our customer the 800.00 return core charge. If you do the gears yourself and install them properly it will save you a ton. wE do complete housings typically as the guys at ECGS are masters and in that realm you really do get what you paid for. There's nothing like being on the trail and losing your rear diff haha.

You wont need a regear "right away" but you would eventually. We have actually found that these third generation Tacoma's "shift" easier when using a 35" tire. For whatever reason the load on the drivetrain seems to help the transmission find gears a lot better. That being said everything else is correct (and we still recommend re-gearing if you can)! We do our gears here at 1000.00 for installation and we use complete housings from ECGS. Our last install included an ARB air locker in the rear and we got the housings for 3300 from ECGS and gave our customer the 800.00 return core charge. If you do the gears yourself and install them properly it will save you a ton. wE do complete housings typically as the guys at ECGS are masters and in that realm you really do get what you paid for. There's nothing like being on the trail and losing your rear diff haha.
so in total how much for the regear?

so in total how much for the regear?

Definitely depends on if you are looking to do the gears or the built diff/3rd. For the built diff and 3rd with ARB rear locker including fluids for 3500.00 after core refund and it took us half a day.

I paid around 1100 $ for nitro gear master sets. I paid 900$ for install which took 4 hours.

I was quoted from multiple places 1450$ for gears, and 1200-2000 for install and from 3-5 days they wanted my truck. I feel i got a decent deal. I used “martins mobile gears” in LA area. He has a shop in riverside i dropped it off at.

https://www.nitro-gear.com/Toyota-8-75-Nitro-Gear-Package-p/gptaco2016-4.88-8.75.htm
I used Martins mobile gear for my re-gear and added locker , done in 4 hours also! This guy knows his trade, great job no issue's at all ! Highly recommend him to everyone thinking about re-gearing!

Back