• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

3 leaf AAL or full leaf pack for OEM King 2.5 and other RR shocks

ninong671

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Manual
White
What's everyone running? Will progressive AAL (no overlad) be better for 30+ mph choppy terrain run vs the full pack?

I don't have Kings, but when my foxes were installed I went with a full leaf pack. Dakars. They

What's everyone running? Will progressive AAL (no overlad) be better for 30+ mph choppy terrain run vs the full pack?
I’d always go full pack replacement if you can. Better overall performance gain. If you really just want the height/looks of it, I guess AAL is good to save you some money.

I’d always go full pack replacement if you can. Better overall performance gain. If you really just want the height/looks of it, I guess AAL is good to save you some money.

I got the icon progressive AAL now just waiting on the other stuff to arrive. I haul so much air and I don't want too much lift so it'll do.

Does anyone knows the rating of the Icon aal 3pack? I have 300-400 pounds constant load...should I look else where?

Does anyone knows the rating of the Icon aal 3pack? I have 300-400 pounds constant load...should I look else where?
Check out Deaver Leaf Springs . The U402 Stage 1 are rated for up to 300 lbs, then stage 2 are 400-600 lbs. What you're asking for is right between their two ratings, so if you go this route, you might need to get some accurate weights.

Ive been through a few different leaf pack sets:

Wheelers AAL - rough ride, only gave height, moved through the suspension too quickly with the stock leaf pack and the axle wrap was horrible
Dakar HD"s - Didnt last 2 years until they lost most of their progressive rate and flattened out. SUPER Squeaky, couldn't fix no matter how many bottles of lube or cleaning, gave decent lift but again they didnt last long.
(CURRENT) - Deaver U402 Stage 3, this is my current leaf pack and its by far the best. The ride quality is so much smoother than the previous AAL and Dakar even though they are heavier weighted. No axle wrap yet and extremely little chatter during wash-board dirt roads.

If you can afford the deavers they are your best option. AAL's in my opinion are temporary solutions until something better.

Mine are riding around in the back of my pick up bed, lol, waiting for other parts Still..... But I went with OME, Dakar Medium duty 400-600 pd range to cover for weight for ARE Cap, Which also has a 12 week order time due to Covid BS. They should be plenty strong for my use.

Attachments

• 20201204_160330[1666] (2).jpg
    20201204_160330[1666] (2).jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 62
I have the icons with a topper and junk always in it. They do a good job of supporting the weight of passengers and camping gear with our trailer and topper. It's a small lift without load and no lift with load.

I also have the Timbren bump stops. Unloaded the truck sits an inch above the stops and with a load it's BARELY above them.

-M

Check out Deaver Leaf Springs . The U402 Stage 1 are rated for up to 300 lbs, then stage 2 are 400-600 lbs. What you're asking for is right between their two ratings, so if you go this route, you might need to get some accurate weights.
So...I should add a rear bumper jack holder and tire carrier and go for 400+🤣 Maybe I'll go this route too...

Ive been through a few different leaf pack sets:

Wheelers AAL - rough ride, only gave height, moved through the suspension too quickly with the stock leaf pack and the axle wrap was horrible
Dakar HD"s - Didnt last 2 years until they lost most of their progressive rate and flattened out. SUPER Squeaky, couldn't fix no matter how many bottles of lube or cleaning, gave decent lift but again they didnt last long.
(CURRENT) - Deaver U402 Stage 3, this is my current leaf pack and its by far the best. The ride quality is so much smoother than the previous AAL and Dakar even though they are heavier weighted. No axle wrap yet and extremely little chatter during wash-board dirt roads.

If you can afford the deavers they are your best option. AAL's in my opinion are temporary solutions until something better.
Tks for the review! I'll pulled the trigger soon!

So...I should add a rear bumper jack holder and tire carrier and go for 400+🤣 Maybe I'll go this route too...
Yes. :LOL:
But it should be more of a guideline. The higher the weight rating, the more lift you will have with or without weight. For example, (purely speculating the numbers) if you went with the Stage 1, you might get 3” of lift with no weight in the bed, but might settle to 2-2.5” loaded up. If you want with Stage 2, you might get 3” of lift unloaded and loaded up.

Got it👍 It's a decision that can't be taken lightly...Mesure twice, cut once. Maybe I will buy a center bearing drop kit too and/or leaf shims.

Back