• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2GR-FKS engine failure

duopscss

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 Manual
White
Just a heads up about my engine replacement ordeal:

My 2017 Taco has just over 110,000 miles when it threw a code while on a road trip. I had pulled into a gas station (everything was performing normal), and filled it with gas when I was at ~1/4 tank. I started the truck after the fill and it had a suuuuper rough idle. It barley ran, so I pulled behind the gas station and began to troubleshoot. My OBDII showed a P0305, P0300, P0301, P0306 code. The engine had relatively new OEM spark plugs, and I replaced the crankshaft position sensor in a last ditch effort to maybe fix something. I eventually had it towed a couple hundred miles to a Toyota dealership. They did a compression check and showed that there was no compression in cylinder 5 & 6. They suspected valve-train failure, but had never seen it before. Of the various routes I could have gone down, the best option was to replace the engine....note that I was 400 miles from home on a holiday weekend. They replaced the engine but never fully tore into the old one. So in the end I never really learned anything from the experience other than the 2GR-FKS engine is not as reliable as the 1GR-FE. I have a new engine, but cannot place any trust in it. I just wanted to put the info out there... The 2GR-FKS is a ticking time bomb.

On a slightly positive note...I talked with Toyota corporate about this issue. They were more than embarrassed and offered to pay ~25% of the cost of the repair. This is highly unusual considering I was waaay out of warranty.

My 2017 Taco has just over 110,000 miles when it threw a code while on a road trip. I had pulled into a gas station (everything was performing normal), and filled it with gas when I was at ~1/4 tank. I started the truck after the fill and it had a suuuuper rough idle. It barley ran, so I pulled behind the gas station and began to troubleshoot. My OBDII showed a P0305, P0300, P0301, P0306 code. The engine had relatively new OEM spark plugs, and I replaced the crankshaft position sensor in a last ditch effort to maybe fix something. I eventually had it towed a couple hundred miles to a Toyota dealership. They did a compression check and showed that there was no compression in cylinder 5 & 6. They suspected valve-train failure, but had never seen it before. Of the various routes I could have gone down, the best option was to replace the engine....note that I was 400 miles from home on a holiday weekend. They replaced the engine but never fully tore into the old one. So in the end I never really learned anything from the experience other than the 2GR-FKS engine is not as reliable as the 1GR-FE. I have a new engine, but cannot place any trust in it. I just wanted to put the info out there... The 2GR-FKS is a ticking time bomb.

On a slightly positive note...I talked with Toyota corporate about this issue. They were more than embarrassed and offered to pay ~25% of the cost of the repair. This is highly unusual considering I was waaay out of warranty.

Update to this?

Upvote 0

Weren’t you the guy who made a website on why
Not to buy a Tacoma? I think you are leaving out some details on why your engine blew.

Upvote 0
Gotta give it to him. If feel better rough if my engine blew, likely to vent.

Upvote 0
Back