• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

285's or waiting

airtaco31

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Hey ya'll i'm upgrading my suspension soon and would love some input. 3'' lift, upgraded UCA's, Icon RXT leaf pack, and 285 tires. However, I've been having second thoughts about the 285's after hearing people saying to regear first. Should I put off the 285's and 3" lift until I can get regeared too?

I am currently running 265 Toyo Rt's, and I'm thinking of alternatively going for a 2.5" lift, and instead of spending money on the tires, buying Archive hammer hangers and shock relocators and dropping a few extra bucks for 12'' rear shocks.

What are your opinions on this? I really want the 285's and 3' lift but down want the taco bogged down and even more super whack mpg.

You'll lose power and mpg on 33s but many people still drive on them with stock gears. I'm a 6MT so I have taller gears so I don't "need" to regear.

some also like 255s "pizza cutters" as 33 inch alternative but front view looks too skinny to me.

Back