• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

285/75R17 Tires (No Lift)

Murdra

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Howdy all,

So last year i purchased my 2019 Barcelona Red TRD Sport Tacoma. Like any adventurous person i found a need for bigger, more aggressive tires.
After little research online I went ahead and purchased 285/75R17 tires for my TRD Pro 17" wheels with a +5 offset. I am starting to realize that perhaps more research was necessary. Tires are BFG K02.
I am posting this prior to installing my Rev Tek 3" Front/1.5" Rear Level Kit.

My purpose for this post is to ask if anyone out has had experience with this issue and noticed a lack of rubbing after installing this level kit.

Any help is appreciated. TIA

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 505
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    732 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Howdy all,

So last year i purchased my 2019 Barcelona Red TRD Sport Tacoma. Like any adventurous person i found a need for bigger, more aggressive tires.
After little research online I went ahead and purchased 285/75R17 tires for my TRD Pro 17" wheels with a +5 offset. I am starting to realize that perhaps more research was necessary. Tires are BFG K02.
I am posting this prior to installing my Rev Tek 3" Front/1.5" Rear Level Kit.

My purpose for this post is to ask if anyone out has had experience with this issue and noticed a lack of rubbing after installing this level kit.

Any help is appreciated. TIA

At that size it is going to rub. You're going to need a cab mount chop and likely a good amount of trimming. The lift alone won't be enough to fix it.

Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do the CMC but it seems the most logical choice is to just get 285/70R17 tires.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do the CMC but it seems the most logical choice is to just get 285/70R17 tires.

I appreciate the help.

It's likely that you'll need a CMC even at 285/70/17. These trucks don't easily fit larger tires.

I have 285/75-17 very much need to trim with this size of tires. But wheels do play a role which offset is the key. Still being a such a taller tire bigger than a true 33 close to being a 34. Roughly about 33.7 size. what I did was more aggressive stance and wheel offset. Me being at -38 offset 17x9 SCS wheels. Definitely have a poke and wider. For what I had to do to clear was a cmc, fender plastic cutting and then to make a game change I went with the SPC UCA this can help positive caster. I moved the caster 3.5 degrees forward, clearing the cmc. I use to at full lock and rub on ground and off-roading and now now more!

Like the other guys have said, the tires you got will rub. I have a TRD Pro and before I replaced the suspension, I got 255/85/16 (skinny 33s) and still needed a little trimming done.

Like the other guys have said, the tires you got will rub. I have a TRD Pro and before I replaced the suspension, I got 255/85/16 (skinny 33s) and still needed a little trimming done.
Oh no!!!! Was just about to order these. Read all over the place that these were the max for my pro with no rubbing.. Please tell me they only rub on the trail?!?!

Oh no!!!! Was just about to order these. Read all over the place that these were the max for my pro with no rubbing.. Please tell me they only rub on the trail?!?!
It may differ from brand to brand on these sizes. You'll have to compare the actual dimensions of the tires from the manufacture to determine if they might rub. I have the Toyo MTs and I think they are on the larger side of the skinny 33s. Also, when I got them installed, I had my steel bumper and winch already install, so that might have contributed to a slightly lower front end and rubbing. Before I replaced the suspension, they rubbed on the road anytime I was turning and driving across a bump, like a recess on a side street or something. Also, on a hard break and rarely on reverse.

Trucks will vary slightly but they will rub for sure. The 285/75/17 is equal to a 33.9" tire. It will very likely rub on the road when the tires are turned and more so offroad. To run these tires you will very likely need a cab mount chop (CMC), fender liner trimming, and a good alignment with aftermarket UCAS to get more positive caster. Even a 285/70/17 is pushing it, despite what all the bro-science Facebook Tacoma fanboys will tell you.

Trucks will vary slightly but they will rub for sure. The 285/75/17 is equal to a 33.9" tire. It will very likely rub on the road when the tires are turned and more so offroad. To run these tires you will very likely need a cab mount chop (CMC), fender liner trimming, and a good alignment with aftermarket UCAS to get more positive caster. Even a 285/70/17 is pushing it, despite what all the bro-science Facebook Tacoma fanboys will tell you.
Hey, I appreciate the help. I wasn't clear in my post, I meant his 255 skinnys. Bro-science is definitely alive and well haha!!! This is a nice little forum much clearer and way less shenanigans from what I see.
Im looking at,
Cooper maxx they are 32.8 in a 255
Bfg ko2s are 32.1 on a 17" rim still 255

I like the skinny idea for the snow (Canada) trying to go as big as I can... Well because..... The ko2 has the square look I'm after. Any suggestions? These fit or am I in bro land?

Thanks again!

Hey, I appreciate the help. I wasn't clear in my post, I meant his 255 skinnys. Bro-science is definitely alive and well haha!!! This is a nice little forum much clearer and way less shenanigans from what I see.
Im looking at,
Cooper maxx they are 32.8 in a 255
Bfg ko2s are 32.1 on a 17" rim still 255

I like the skinny idea for the snow (Canada) trying to go as big as I can... Well because..... The ko2 has the square look I'm after. Any suggestions? These fit or am I in bro land?

Thanks again!

My bad. Yeah a 255/85/16 is the equivalent to a 33.09, so it will likely still rub a bit but not nearly as bad as a 285/75/17. A good CM and some moderate trimming should clear them. *Hopefully 🤣🤣

Also, thanks for the compliment on the site. We try to maintain a solid and positive environment here where we can all improve our trucks without the extra BS.

I got my truck from the dealer with 285/70/17’s Terra Grapplers along with done XD Wheels that have a +18 offset. They put a 3” front and 2” block rear. The tires rubbed the UCA on turns and parking. No other rubbing and not even close. I made them correct the issue so they swapped out the tires for KO2 275/70/17. No more rubbing, same wheels. Truth be told tho, I plan on switching the wheels for some -10 SCS etc. all of the above is w the 3” lift of course so obviously it’s different w no lift.

Canadian tire had a sale on that ends today so I panic bought some ko2s... I can return them!!!

Not much of a sale! $1045 maple pesos for 4 255/75/r17. Thats a 32.1" diameter.

I'm sure we can do better, probably on price and maybe on size? This is a real midlife crisis! Have to stuff the biggest I can in there!!!! But I'm too busy to deal with cutting and rolling things.

Bro-Science crew sais 33s are do-able... They of course leave out make/manufacturer, mudflaps on/off, rub at articulation off road, definition of rub is apparently up for debate haha... Asked the guys these things that said its do-able on other forums but by that time the thread was on the moon hosting knife fights.

Got the pro to protect myself from myself messing with the truck but here I am, messing with the truck!

Back