• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2022 Nissan Frontier Project 72X and Project Hardbody

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I don't know anything about Nissan or the Frontier but I just saw these trucks on YouTube and thought they were pretty neat. Nissan made a few concept trucks, Project 72X and Project Hardbody, which are tributes to older trucks, thus their retro aesthetic.

Project 72X:
Project 72X is a modern take on one of Nissan's most popular trucks, the Datsun 720. First introduced in fall 1979, the 720 eventually became the first vehicle assembled by Nissan in the United States when it rolled off the line of the new Smyrna (Tennessee) Vehicle Assembly Plant in 1983. Known as the "Lil Hustler," it was a bare-bones, affordable truck designed for fun and was advertised as ideal for outdoor enthusiasts.

For the 2022 interpretation, the design team used gray exterior tones and graphics for a sense of modern, cool attitude – a look reinforced by the white-painted steel wheels, which are actually 2022 Frontier spare wheels, with PRO-4X tires. Other key modifications include a 2.5-inch lift kit with adjustable front upper suspension arms and a sport bar behind the cab.

1646100289955.png

1646100308107.png

1646100325488.png

Project Hardbody:
Project Hardbody, as the name suggests, pays homage to one of the most iconic Nissan trucks ever, the Nissan D21 "Hardbody." It was the first truck design completed at NDA.

"It is still unmistakable on the road as a pure, modern design, even today," said Patel. The "Hardbody" name came from its double-wall bed and aggressive stance and was a champion in on- and off-road in competitions and on the beaches of Southern California.

Project Hardbody is built on a 2022 Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4. It features a 3-inch lift kit with adjustable upper control arms, overfenders from the current PRO-4X model, classic Hardbody block-style wheels designed and milled at NDA mounted with 33-inch tires, bed-mounted spare tire carrier, sport bar with modern 10-inch rectangular LED lights, blacked-out front end and door graphics with '80s-style shadow outlining.

1646100470149.png

1646100490234.png

1646100507765.png

Again, I don't know anything about the Frontier in general, but these concepts are rad! I love retro aesthetics on newer trucks when done right. I'd love to see Toyota do a 3rd gen that you can actually buy. What do you guys think?

Bonus pic:
1646100626618.png

That latest Frontier actually looks decent. They're good trucks for better prices than Toyotas. But parts availability is not as vast as it is with Toyota. For what we do, that's a pretty big deal. To be able to get off the shelf gear to build your "rig" is pretty nice.

That latest Frontier actually looks decent. They're good trucks for better prices than Toyotas. But parts availability is not as vast as it is with Toyota. For what we do, that's a pretty big deal. To be able to get off the shelf gear to build your "rig" is pretty nice.
I love the old school wheels on the red one. I remember seeing the Pathfinder with those wheels when I was young, always thinking it was a cool truck.

E6F45F7B-3570-4889-94D4-9E1E9FEFF2EC.jpeg
F18CCC6C-5F92-4881-8436-426531B50E03.jpeg

I really like the new Frontier. If the new body style was available when I was buying I probably would have considered it. But probably wouldn't have purchased given Nissan's track record that I've personally dealt with. My parents had a Maxima, that thing was the biggest turd. Something always wrong with it. They ended up buying a Honda after that, and it's been trouble free.

I wonder if Honda will ever join the "real" truck game. The Ridgeline is not a truck, it's and Odyssey with a bed.

Back