• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2020 trd off-road won’t leave 4th gear for LONG time

Bulletproofmafia

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Voodoo Blue
Hello, I just bought a 2020 trd off-road from the dealer a month ago, the truck has a 3in toytech full suspension lift with upgraded leaf springs, it’s sitting on 17in fuel wheels with 285/75/17 BFG tires, everything was put on by dealer prior to purchase, truck now has 3k Miles on it, I am having an issue when truck is cruising at 80mph it will not shift out of 4th gear most of the time and be ringing it’s neck at 5300 RPM for 5 plus minutes on a flat even highway even with a slight road decline, taken to dealer twice for them to just tell me it’s normal! I’m getting 11mpg I believe it needs to be re geared, dealer will not help although they built this truck and had it on display as their “dealer special upgraded truck” paid 47k for truck and they won’t do nothing, any help or ideas? I will attach link to video of exactly what it’s doing!
Original link: https://youtu.be/KAGDk3NuuYY

Sounds to me like whatever dealership sold it to you had no idea what they were doing. Anyone can slap on parts but you have to know what you’re doing to make everything work correctly. I would say you definitely need a re gear. In my experience on working with transmissions, significantly bigger tires always messes with the transmission in some way, to put it in layman’s terms. Personally I haven’t dove deep enough into my truck to offer much more advice but I would say look into some posts here talking about re gearing.

Upvote 0
Go talk to some local transmission or differential shops in your area, ask some questions, present your issue, and take that information to the dealer.

Upvote 0
Take it out of cruise control. The cruise control on these trucks is notorious for staying in 4th.

Upvote 0
Can't be all that bad. You've put over 3000 miles on it before you made your first payment.
Re-gear to 5:29, slow down it's a truck and leave cruise control off.

YMMV RON

Upvote 0
Back