• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! 2020 Tacoma Frontend Popping Noise

Calikid74

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to the world of Toyota, as my 2020 Tacoma Sport is my very first Toyota purchase ever. I really want to love this truck, but with less than 500 miles, I have already experienced a ton of issues. Aside from the noisy dash, which unbeknownst to me apparently comes standard in all Tacoma models, my frontend intermittently pops and cracks when steering and making turns. It’s loud and very noticeable. Has anyone else experienced this issue and did anyone find the culprit? I took it to Toyota once and they were of course unable to reproduce the issue.

Can you describe the noise a little more? When does it happen? Is it more of a creaking? Metal on metal?
My front end creaks when I turn hard in reverse.

Upvote 0
I’ve been trying to hang my phone out of the window while driving to grab a video of the noise at its worst, but haven’t had much luck. I did get a little snippet of the popping noise while slowly backing out of a driveway. I just began to turn the steering wheel to the right and you can hear a double popping noise. The noise after that is me putting the truck into drive.

View attachment 23602

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I’ve been trying to hang my phone out of the window while driving to grab a video of the noise at its worst, but haven’t had much luck. I did get a little snippet of the popping noise while slowly backing out of a driveway. I just began to turn the steering wheel to the right and you can hear a double popping noise. The noise after that is me putting the truck into drive.

View attachment 23602
A lot of us have dealt with similar noises, although less commonly on completely stock trucks.

But it shouldn’t be hard to target the source, we’ll just need to do it in steps.

I’d start with checking your upper control arm mounting bolts being loose or not properly torque. Right after I would do the same for all of the other major bolts on your control arm and suspension components.

If nothing, it could be a steering component, although that would be even more surprising for a new truck.

Try to have someone else slowly back up while you visually inspect and try to target the location of the sound itself. Meaning what side it might be coming from and if it is clearly near the front axles or in another location further back.

Report back with your findings.

Upvote 0
Same noise here! DCSB TRD OR 700 miles! I feel it comes from the driver front side. Thursday the dealer is going to look at it. And a vibration in the seat...and a tsb for the transmission!

Upvote 0
Aside from what others have mentioned I'd check the front body mounts. Mine when bad quickly due to them being installed poorly from the factory. I replaced them with energy suspension poly bushings which should last forever.
Old bushings vs new. Only 25k miles when I swapped them. No more clunking.
20180527_132527 (1).jpg
20180527_124533 (1).jpg

Also a noisy dash isn't normal. I had a little noise and it turned out to be my windshield cowl trim piece (the part the wipers come through). I was able to secure it and get rid of the noise.

Upvote 0
Mine is coming from the front suspension somewhere sounds like the passenger side. I have taken it to the shop 3 times first Toyota dealership said it’s normal for it to make noise it’s a truck. My last truck was a 2016 Tacoma no noise. Second time they lubed up the left side of the suspension worked for about a week. 3rd time they couldn’t get it to replicate of course. It makes noise just about every drive literally drives me insane. This is a 2020 been making noise since I got it. Anyone have these noises?

Upvote 0
My 2021 sport does the same thing. 4k on it but when it's sat over night and I back out of my garage and turn the wheel the first time I get a clunk like part of the steering is binding. I am pretty sure it is front passenger side. I am going to take it in soon but I can't find anything wrong personally.

Upvote 0
Back