• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2019 TACOMA SR5 2WD REAR TIRES LOCKED?!?

Andy_Brink

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 SR5 DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Washed my truck last night as I usually do when it gets dirty. Backed it up into the garage right after. When I was leaving for work this morning, it did not want to move. Stepped on the gas hard and my rear tires were not moving at all. Left some 5ft skid marks down the driveway. Has this happened to anyone? Had to Uber to work. I am freaking out.

Washed my truck last night as I usually do when it gets dirty. Backed it up into the garage right after. When I was leaving for work this morning, it did not want to move. Stepped on the gas hard and my rear tires were not moving at all. Left some 5ft skid marks down the driveway. Has this happened to anyone? Had to Uber to work. I am freaking out.

Upvote 0

Was it cold this morning? Sometime water will get in the drum and “lock” it for a brief period. You can try rocking it back until it loosens up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Low 60s this morning if anything. I left it in the driveway so I’ll check it out when I get home later this afternoon. Don’t have 4x4 though.

Upvote 0
Low 60s this morning if anything. I left it in the driveway so I’ll check it out when I get home later this afternoon. Don’t have 4x4 though.

My bad! I even read your title and put that. Work meeting is taking a toll on my brain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is my take and experience with anything with drum brakes. Your brake shoes usually contain some sort of organic compound which will swell when exposed to moisture. You aggravated (unknowingly) the situation by washing then parking.

Here is how I have fixed this in the past,as you have already tried acceleration through the stuck brakes. Take the wheels off of the rear. With a dead blow hammer or metal headed hammer, tap around the outer edge of the drum. DON'T GO SWINGING FOR THE FENCES HERE. In conjunction with drying the strikes will help to loosen the brake shoe/drum bond.

Rocking the vehicle back and forth can loosen the drums however you are putting a large amount of stress on the inner components and in time they could fail prematurely.

Best of luck, and don't freak out.

Upvote 0
Was it cold this morning? Sometime water will get in the drum and “lock” it for a brief period. You can try putting it in 4 high and only go back and forth until it loosens up.
Here is my take and experience with anything with drum brakes. Your brake shoes usually contain some sort of organic compound which will swell when exposed to moisture. You aggravated (unknowingly) the situation by washing then parking.

Here is how I have fixed this in the past,as you have already tried acceleration through the stuck brakes. Take the wheels off of the rear. With a dead blow hammer or metal headed hammer, tap around the outer edge of the drum. DON'T GO SWINGING FOR THE FENCES HERE. In conjunction with drying the strikes will help to loosen the brake shoe/drum bond.

Rocking the vehicle back and forth can loosen the drums however you are putting a large amount of stress on the inner components and in time they could fail prematurely.

Best of luck, and don't freak out.
Will do this the second I get home. Thank you! 🙏🏽

Upvote 0
IT WORKED!! Did exactly what HiterSixOne said to do. Thank you so much!!!
Glad it worked. I would suggest to prevent it from occurring in the future is that after a wash take the taco for a quick drive with some moderate braking. That will dry things out and be good for storage.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with my 2019 Tacoma, 2 wheel drive with 11k on the odometer. I washed my truck with a garden hose (as l have many times before), drove it around the block to get the excess water off before I dried it, then parked it in our garage. The next day, I tried to back it out of the garage, but the driver's side rear wheel would not turn. I pulled the parking brake lever on and off several times and put the truck in drive and reverse to no avail. I then drove my wife's car to where l had to go. The following day, I gathered my tools and jack to do what Hitersixone suggested. Before jacking up the rear end, I tried one more time to start the truck, put it in gear and see what happens. Lo and behold, that tire turned like there was never an issue. I don't know if everything needed time to dry or what. I'm now aware of this situation and am keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Upvote 0
Back