• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2 way radio mounting ideas

88E30

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install an ICOM ID-5100A in my 2019 Tacoma and am trying to figure out the best location for the base radio part. This radio comes with a separate faceplate and radio base. The faceplate is easy as the included magnetic mount matches the holes on a RAM mount, so it will be placed on the upper part of the dash along with all of the other junk that I hang up there. The base unit will take some additional thought though. The challenge is that the mic attaches to the base, not the faceplate, so it needs to be mounted somewhere. The base also includes an internal fan to keep it cool, so it really needs to be in an area with at least a bit of air around it.

I've been considering mounting it under the drivers seat but also thinking about maybe along side of the console. I'd like to keep the base out of sight if possible so that when I pop the face plate off, nothing will show inside of the truck. Has anyone mounted this type of two part radio behind the dash or under the console? It's been a year or so since I had my head under the dash and I don't recall a huge amount of open space back there. I could mount it high too, I guess.

Anyone tackle this before and if so, what did you end up doing? Did you have issues with the chosen location afterwards?

Thanks,
Tim

I think that I'm going to try mounting behind the rear seat back against the bulkhead. A microphone extension cable is a simple Cat6 cable that I can make up as needed, so nothing difficult there.

I'm getting ready to install an ICOM ID-5100A in my 2019 Tacoma and am trying to figure out the best location for the base radio part. This radio comes with a separate faceplate and radio base. The faceplate is easy as the included magnetic mount matches the holes on a RAM mount, so it will be placed on the upper part of the dash along with all of the other junk that I hang up there. The base unit will take some additional thought though. The challenge is that the mic attaches to the base, not the faceplate, so it needs to be mounted somewhere. The base also includes an internal fan to keep it cool, so it really needs to be in an area with at least a bit of air around it.

I've been considering mounting it under the drivers seat but also thinking about maybe along side of the console. I'd like to keep the base out of sight if possible so that when I pop the face plate off, nothing will show inside of the truck. Has anyone mounted this type of two part radio behind the dash or under the console? It's been a year or so since I had my head under the dash and I don't recall a huge amount of open space back there. I could mount it high too, I guess.

Anyone tackle this before and if so, what did you end up doing? Did you have issues with the chosen location afterwards?

Thanks,
Tim
This is a good way,
You can just run the mic up besides the passenger seat and mount it on the front of the console.

Source: https://youtu.be/KDXayMZZLis

That's a nice setup. I'm thinking of doing the same style remote mic plug-in. My antenna is going to be a front mount, at the rear p/s corner of the hood. BTW, my truck is the same color, just with the short cab/long bed.

Back