• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

1st post new member - suspension questions

bvann

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Howdy, 1st post on here and I’m super glad I found a forum just for 3rd gens :love:

I am the owner of a 2018 QS DCLB OR and have been for almost a year now. I’m finally ready to upgrade my suspension. I have been looking at a lot of combinations and can’t seem to decide. As of now I am leaning towards this:

Coil selection:
- 887x

Strut selection:
- 90021 soft ride strut

UCAs:
- Light Racing UCAs

HD Dakar leaf pack

I had a few questions regarding lifts in general. I am looking to get roughly 3” front 2” rear. Will this be achievable with this set up? I have seen others add a 1/4” spacer to the front to bump it up more. It is my daily so I don’t want to go too crazy but I want to have a durable set up for when I off road and camp out on the weekends. I also would like to be able to run 285 70/75 16 tires on stock wheels, would this be an issue? Thanks in advance :D

I would go with the 886 coils and the firm shocks.

I would go with the 886 coils and the firm shocks.
You won't get 3 in the front with almost any kit
1/4"spacer on the top gate will give you 1/2"more
And a 1/2" spacer shall give you about 1" more lift wether it's good or not meh I'll be adding 1/2to my icons

If you plan on adding a bumper in the future 887s won't cut it to . So think ahead of what you want out of your Tacoma and build the suspension as closely to that as you can so you can potentially avoid spending more in the future

Good points better to do it right the first time. I will probably do 886 with the 1/4” spacer, firm shocks.

Any thoughts on the tire size with stock OR rims?

Good points better to do it right the first time. I will probably do 886 with the 1/4” spacer, firm shocks.

Any thoughts on the tire size with stock OR rims?
That's up to you bud if it's a daily and family camp rig then I'd go with 32 allterrians
Simple clean more affordable size , better fuel economy compared to running larger , etc..

That's up to you bud if it's a daily and family camp rig then I'd go with 32 allterrians
Simple clean more affordable size , better fuel economy compared to running larger , etc..
And I forgot to mention next near no rubbing issues if you width is good

Howdy, 1st post on here and I’m super glad I found a forum just for 3rd gens :love:

I am the owner of a 2018 QS DCLB OR and have been for almost a year now. I’m finally ready to upgrade my suspension. I have been looking at a lot of combinations and can’t seem to decide. As of now I am leaning towards this:

Coil selection:
- 887x

Strut selection:
- 90021 soft ride strut

UCAs:
- Light Racing UCAs

HD Dakar leaf pack

I had a few questions regarding lifts in general. I am looking to get roughly 3” front 2” rear. Will this be achievable with this set up? I have seen others add a 1/4” spacer to the front to bump it up more. It is my daily so I don’t want to go too crazy but I want to have a durable set up for when I off road and camp out on the weekends. I also would like to be able to run 285 70/75 16 tires on stock wheels, would this be an issue? Thanks in advance :D

Welcome to a great forum & congrats on your purchase man

Your rear leaf pack is good but for the height you want, adjustable coilovers in the front would be better. That way you can dial them up when they're on the truck.

Stock wheels are good up to 285/75 or 255/85 pizza cutters as mentioned.

Update:

Finally decided to order lift. Marie from Headstrong was super helpful. Ordered full OME kit 886 coils, firm struts, SPC light racing UCAs, Dakar HD leaf pack. Will be keeping stock OR wheels for a while. Only decision left is whether or not to go with 285/75 or 255/85, leaning towards the thin guys tho :D. hopefully everything installed over the next two weeks. Stay tuned for pictures!

Back