• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

1983 double cab Hilux suspension

The.lost.road

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Looking for a good suspension for my LN46 1983 Hilux double cab 4x4. Ordered Rough Country 3” lift but am canceling as I’ve read nothing but bad reviews. Any other recommendations on a 3” lift that offers a good ride off road.

Yea definitely avoid Rough Country if you want a good lift / suspension. See if Bilstein has what you're looking for, if not try Fox. Those are the best (from what I hear) for suspensions and lift upgrades. Avoid RC and Icon as they aren't worth your money

Deffo stay away from RC. Personally I'd stay away from Fox also unless whatever you get can be custom tuned - their off the shelf valving is very stiff. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about that platform and what is available.

Bilstein is usually a safe bet - they put a ton of time into testing for ride quality vs performance.

It really comes down to what you want to spend.

Yea definitely avoid Rough Country if you want a good lift / suspension. See if Bilstein has what you're looking for, if not try Fox. Those are the best (from what I hear) for suspensions and lift upgrades. Avoid RC and Icon as they aren't worth your money
How do y’all feel about Iron man suspension

How do y’all feel about Iron man suspension
Never heard of it tbh... I always hear a lot about Bilstein which is what I'm going with. The 5100 package is what I want and hear is the best of the best. Ik I can rely on Bilstein, I can look into Ironman Suspension, but Idk what I'll find. I can tell you Bilstein has the best "flexibility" I guess is the word I'm looking for.. Travel time, etc

Having had an 81 Toyota Trekker and done a couple of SAS Toyotas it comes down to what you want to do with it.
Are you looking for a mild weekend trail runner for full on rock crawler?
For all around good ride I would recommend OME.
Congrats on finding a first Gen DC.
There are hard to find even in Australia

Having had an 81 Toyota Trekker and done a couple of SAS Toyotas it comes down to what you want to do with it.
Are you looking for a mild weekend trail runner for full on rock crawler?
For all around good ride I would recommend OME.
Congrats on finding a first Gen DC.
There are hard to find even in Australia
Ok, im going to go with OME+2” . And heres a picture of the truck i ended up importing it last year.

Attachments

• D08E19A6-4C23-4E4D-8E90-B625E3D51783.jpeg
    D08E19A6-4C23-4E4D-8E90-B625E3D51783.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 58
Back