• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Gandalf the Blue

ct__tacoma

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
*Updated 10-10-2022 - last edit(s) in red*
—————————————————
Gandalf the Blue, a 2017 TRD Sport - current as of September 2022

Wheels/Tires

-OEM TRD Sport wheels (17x7.5, +30)
-Nitto Recon Grapplers 255/80/17

Suspension/Drivetrain
-Elka 2.0 IFP coilovers and rear struts
-Dobinsons L59-111-R leaf packs
-SPC upper control arms
-TImbren Industries bump stops and U-bolt flip kit
-ECGS clamshell bushing

Lights/Electronics
-Cali Raised LED 40" and 32" light bars
-Clearance light pods - Midatlantic Offroad
-Solar Burn LED low beam replacements - Midatlantic Offroad
-Smoked sequential mirror turn signals - Midadtlantic Offroad
-Switches - Cali Raised LED and Custom Ebay for L/R scene with yellow pods
-Diode Dynamics SAE Sport fog lights

Function/Recovery
-ATH fab bed stiffeners
-Prinsu Top Rack
-Leer 100R cap
-Tacoma Twins paracord grab handles x4 on Prinsu
-Factor55 hitch link 2.0

Aesthetics
-Import Equipment amber delete 'TRD' vinyls
-OEM Sport Grille hit with Rustoleum high performance black enamel (Matte for grille, semi-gloss for badge)
-Black tailgate "Tacoma" inserts

Future Plans
-Hidden Winch Mount/Winch
-Front Recovery Points
-Relocate lower light bar
-Relocate spare hanger, upsize spare
—————————————————

Hey guys, I’m Joel, driver of a 2017 TRD Sport, manual transmission, in blazing blue pearl. As I write this, I’ve just paid off the truck, which has 104K on the dash and has brought me to (or through) 38 different states, 18 national parks, and back and forth to work about 1300 times.

Owning a Tacoma (or pickup in general) was never something I planned on. Take a look at my post in @Tacomadad18 thread “Why did you choose the Tacoma” if you want a verbose account of the how and why behind the purchase in chronologic disarray.

Having added to and subtracted from the truck over the past few years, I’ve gained a deeper appreciation for and understanding of want versus need, and form versus function. I’ve certainly enjoyed every step of the build, and with each iteration, the excitement of owning and using my truck continues to grow.

Oh and regarding the build page title— My previous vehicle, an ‘03 Corolla, was dubbed Gandalf the Grey—and since a name for the Tacoma hasn’t yet found itself worthy, Gandalf the Blue it is.

So here’s GTB, September 2017, fresh off the transport from Texas, less than 60 miles on the clock:

E4352171-65D1-4E0C-8C56-EF0C783011BA.jpeg

And that’s about how the truck looked until the first transcontinental voyage in spring 2019. The whole trip was based on attending the Cali Roots festival in Monterey, CA. In preparing for the trip, the world of [overlanding, vehicle based exploration, car camping, etc.] was completely foreign to me. I knew that I wanted to drive cross country, camp as much as possible, and try to connect with a few friendly faces along the way (and snag much needed showers at those check points). Little did I know that those 21 days behind the wheel, waking up to incredible new vistas in places I never fathomed existed in our country, would forever change the dynamic between this driver and vehicle. I'll save the details of the trip for another post, as I think it would be fun to share, but that collection of experiences served as the catalyst to "The Build" as I know it.

Here's one of my favorite photos from the trip. This is us, just arriving at Badlands NP in South Dakota, a moment that will always remain special for me as it was my first ever national park (and certainly it did not disappoint).

IMG_4463.PNG

Pictured here are the first four additions to GTB.
1. KB-Voodoo Hi-Rise Crossbars
2. Extang Solid-Fold 2.0 Tonneau
3. Smittybilt Overlander Gen1 RTT
4. Thule EasyFold XT 2 hitch mounted MTB rack (I think...it was a gift and I frankly forget which exact model, so google images most closely resemble that one).

A few months later in 2019, still buzzing off the high of cross-country travel, we made the trip out west once again. The truck hadn't changed, but the evening that the following picture was taken, the idea for the next set of additions was conceived.

tempImage8bvNry.png

This was somewhere in Capitol Reef NP, where we had set off to find some landmark before making it back to camp for the evening. Travel was slow over washboards, deeper ruts, and curvy, rocky and sandy climbs, all of which I had frankly zero experience maneuvering at the time. The TRD Sport stock Hitachi struts weren't too pleased with the terrain either. As we were turning around and making our way back to the trailhead, we saw a couple well equipped Tacomas making the evening journey out, boasting much more capable suspension and with arrays of forward lighting blasting serious lumens into the ever blackening desert night.

Now this was also the time that instagram started intelligently sneaking builds into my feed. Needless to say, I was influenced, and influenced hard. The next phase of the build began to address some of the items I felt the truck lacked based on our most recent trip. It was also during this time delving into truck social media, that I made a couple key connections on the that would provide helpful insight when it came time to work on the lower half of the truck.

IMG_4141.JPG

46933E67-6074-44C3-A1F7-70232ACAF430.JPG

Notable additions at this point included:

1. Prinsu Cab Rack
2. Cali Raised LED 40" combo light bar in amber
3. Cali Raised LED 32" dual row combo light bar in amber mounted on the hidden lower bumper mounts (also Cali Raised)
4. Amazon purchased modular RV leveling bricks. Can't recall the brand, but they look like the flat lego 4 pieces, and continue to be incredibly useful.
5. Apache 9800 weatherproof rifle case used to store miscellaneous recovery gear, tow ropes (Rhino), air compressor (Viair 88P).
6. Nitto Ridge Grapplers in OEM size 265/65/17.
7. X-Bull traction boards from Amazon (when I briefly thought I was going to go with a yellow accent scheme).

GTB remained in this form for the better part of a year, with a few aesthetic changes (some transient) shown here:

IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0737.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_4925.JPG

In no particular order:

1. Spidertrax 1.24 hub-centric wheel spacers
2. Faux TRD Pro grille (Cali Raised Offroad) with Smoked/Amber Raptor Lights
3. Import Equipment Amber Delete 'TRD' Vinyl
4. Smoked sequential mirror turn signals (Mid-Atlantic Offroad, now Thrashed Offroad)
5. Diode Dynamics SAE Sport Fog Lamps

I scored a great combo deal on the next addition to GTB by sheer luck, thanks to a well timed scroll though the Noreast Yota's Facebook page. To top if off (no pun intended), this was one of the things I knew from very early on I would eventually like to purchase. The deal was made even sweeter by what came already mounted:

IMG_1315.JPG

There she is, in all her glory - the Leer 100R cap with Windoors (a MUST in my book) and a Prinsu Top Rack to match the Cab. Not pictured are the ATH Fab stiffeners I snagged on a killer sale to protect the composite bed. I wish I had a photo from before I had the cap paint matched. It came off a Quicksand, and the contrast actually looked pretty cool, like a hard version of the tan Softoppers.

Now, having a constant load of around 200 sitting on the bed, the stock suspension's shortcomings (and overall wear from regularly overloading the leaf packs) became woefully apparent. After a great deal of research, process of elimination, and chatting with quite a few folks with far more experience than I, several orders were placed in early 2021 to address the all important interface between machine and terrain.

IMG_7331.JPG
IMG_7330.JPG
IMG_7329.JPG
IMG_7332.JPG
IMG_2237.JPG
IMG_7535.JPG

1. SPC Light Racing UCAs
2. Elka 2.0 IFP coilovers and rear struts
3. Dobinsons L59-111-R leaf pack rated for 600 lb constant load
4. Timbren Industries Active Off-Road rear bump stops and U-bolt flip kit.

Night and Day. Couldn't be happier with this setup, which checks all the boxes for my needs. Specifically, big needs for suspension were off-road capable (weekend warrior, not rock crawling or dune hopping), while remaining responsive and fun on pavement. I also needed something that would stand up to New England winters with their glorious road salt, hence the all aluminum Elka. Lastly, I needed the added adjustability and added load capacity to accommodate camping gear, hardware store hauls, and future possible changes in tire size, armor, and mounted recovery items (winch in particular).

So, this more or less brings us to today, with a few notable recent changes. As GTB has grown, I've tried to be mindful of the items I use (or don't) and the impact of keeping them on or in the truck. I've also noted a shift in the overall style that I find most pleasing on the truck. With that in mind, here are the most recent photos I have of Gandalf the Blue (minus a very recent debadge), as well as the complete list of current modifications. As always, thanks for reading!

IMG_0588.JPG
587B399D-4AB3-4043-AAB0-785D147B707A.JPG
FD5D7ECD-0BF7-4424-94C7-04EC6D3F71B2.JPG

Last edited:
How do you like the M/T transmission?
I assume you still have the 4.30 gears, they are well suited.

I have a Sport with the M/T the only thing I find a bit strange is how reverse is equal to 2nd gear more than 1st.
Good on the road but you need to work it off road in the stuff.

However SOMETIMES speed is required in the STUFF.
Engineers must have some really weird dreams!

Its, kind of funny though,
I never had a truck tell me how fast "accurately" I am going in reverse on the speed O.

How do you like the M/T transmission?
I assume you still have the 4.30 gears, they are well suited.

I have a Sport with the M/T the only thing I find a bit strange is how reverse is equal to 2nd gear more than 1st.
Good on the road but you need to work it off road in the stuff.

However SOMETIMES speed is required in the STUFF.

Its, kind of funny though,
I never had a truck tell me how fast "accurately" I am going in reverse on the speed O.
I'm definitely partial to the added engagement manual gives when driving in general, and the Tacoma continues to be be a pleasure. It was a learning curve from my last clutch, though.

I'd never made that connection between R and 2nd until right now, but you're spot on. I feel it every time I back up my driveway, and now I will always think of this! I will say, I still find 1st to be a little twitchy at low speeds--Maybe R1 would shake the trailers loose.

Yes, no need to regear as of yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how being able to pull gears a bit longer will make the transition to taller tires feel this fall. I'd be curious to see how many folks with MT ultimately regear, and what tipped the scales for them.

If I tried to check my speed in reverse, it wouldn't end well for anything behind me...but now I must ask, are our trucks accurate?

I'm definitely partial to the added engagement manual gives when driving in general, and the Tacoma continues to be be a pleasure. It was a learning curve from my last clutch, though.

I'd never made that connection between R and 2nd until right now, but you're spot on. I feel it every time I back up my driveway, and now I will always think of this! I will say, I still find 1st to be a little twitchy at low speeds--Maybe R1 would shake the trailers loose.

Yes, no need to regear as of yet. I'm looking forward to seeing how being able to pull gears a bit longer will make the transition to taller tires feel this fall. I'd be curious to see how many folks with MT ultimately regear, and what tipped the scales for them.

If I tried to check my speed in reverse, it wouldn't end well for anything behind me...but now I must ask, are our trucks accurate?
Same here with the future tire upgrade, I expect a taller tire will be a plus in getting the ratio a wider spread.
Seems like the truck is asking for a bigger tire as 2500 RPMS in 6th equals about 75MPH +/-

1" taller should be about 3MPH increase +/-, so a 1-2" would not be a strain to the mechanics at all.
Maybe another one of those pre-planning by Toyota engineers knowing most off roaders will increase tire size.

The M/T is definitely an animal that will treat you well if operated correctly.

Maybe another one of those pre-planning by Toyota engineers knowing most off roaders will increase tire size.
Perhaps those weird dreams the engineers are having are just visions of the future.....

Every day behind the wheel and three pedals is an absolute joy. Glad I'm not the only one who gets it!

Hey David, thank you! I've passed through Missouri a few times so far, and it's always a pleasure. The landscapes remind me of home in some ways.
It really is kinda like Kansas, but with more stuff to look at. Unless you get around my area, Ozark Mountains really stand out.

Welcome aboard, and of course with the BEST color.

It really is kinda like Kansas, but with more stuff to look at. Unless you get around my area, Ozark Mountains really stand out.

Welcome aboard, and of course with the BEST color.
Nice! The ozarks are on my ever growing list of places to experience; in fact, I’m putting together a road trip for this coming February. What’s the dispersed camping like down there in the winter?

Blazing blue or bust, brother!

Nice! The ozarks are on my ever growing list of places to experience; in fact, I’m putting together a road trip for this coming February. What’s the dispersed camping like down there in the winter?

Blazing blue or bust, brother!
I live pretty close to Glade Top, tons of super scenic places to camp. Let me know when you make it this way and we'll show you around!

I live pretty close to Glade Top, tons of super scenic places to camp. Let me know when you make it this way and we'll show you around!
Right on, Justin! That would be awesome. I just got approved for the time off so I’ll keep you in the loop as I figure out a route/time window and we’ll make it happen!

Right on, Justin! That would be awesome. I just got approved for the time off so I’ll keep you in the loop as I figure out a route/time window and we’ll make it happen!
I hope you don't mind pin stripes, brush gets kinda thick. But we have some good trails within 20 min of my house. Glade Top is around a hour 15-20 from my house. We live 25 min north of Branson. Tons of things for the kids/wife to do around there while we go out.

Here is the coordinates for the area we usually stick to.

36.908224, -93.109820

Glade Top coordinates are below.

36.696000, -92.784951

Those should get you in the area of where we'd go. If you wanted to check it out.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind pin stripes, brush gets kinda thick. But we have some good trails within 20 min of my house. Glade Top is around a hour 15-20 from my house. We live 25 min north of Branson. Tons of things for the kids/wife to do around there while we go out.

Here is the coordinates for the area we usually stick to.

36.908224, -93.109820

Glade Top coordinates are below.

36.696000, -92.784951

Those should get you in the area of where we'd go. If you wanted to check it out.
Outstanding. It’s 22 hours from home to those coordinates. I could definitely swing a day in Missouri, sounds like it would be a blast. I’ve got six free days to play with on the way out to park city, and six more days on the way back.

I have a few must-stops in Colorado and Utah, so I will have to figure out if it’ll make more sense to roll through your neck of the woods on the way out or back. Good thing there’s a little time for planning still.

And yes, already got a few nice stripes decorating the truck so no worries there

Brilliant concept. Pricey, but would have been worth it before the first mar. Doesn’t seem to be an option for our trucks yet just the hilux
I agree. Plus the fact of removal. GOAT Armor is magnetic mount. I'm actually debating on picking some up.

I agree. Plus the fact of removal. GOAT Armor is magnetic mount. I'm actually debating on picking some up.

I’ve seen/heard of a few folks running it and they seem to really like it. I wonder if the goat armor would hold onto grit between it and the truck, and if that would amount to any abrasions?

I’ve seen/heard of a few folks running it and they seem to really like it. I wonder if the goat armor would hold onto grit between it and the truck, and if that would amount to any abrasions?
I've read you only want to use those when you are out on the trail, and to not leave them on all the time. I've also read, they say to make sure and wash the truck after each outing.

I've read you only want to use those when you are out on the trail, and to not leave them on all the time. I've also read, they say to make sure and wash the truck after each outing.
Yeah, makes sense. They just look so damn rad I feel like I’d want to keep them on all the time if I ran them!

Look into SDHQ, they have a nice hidden winch mount.
Hey man, thanks for the rec—that was on my list; basically them, CBI and RRW seem to be leaders as far as quality and compatibility. My only concern was that the SDHQ website specifically says “Fits Warn Zeon Series and Warn VR EVO Series Winches” and my plan is to run a smittybilt. I can’t find anywhere confirming that their mount would work with other winches and their photos look like it’s a reaaaally snug and tailored fit to the Warn.

Hey man, thanks for the rec—that was on my list; basically them, CBI and RRW seem to be leaders as far as quality and compatibility. My only concern was that the SDHQ website specifically says “Fits Warn Zeon Series and Warn VR EVO Series Winches” and my plan is to run a smittybilt. I can’t find anywhere confirming that their mount would work with other winches and their photos look like it’s a reaaaally snug and tailored fit to the Warn.
Look into a Smittybilt M1A2 Front Bumper for the 3rd Gen Tacoma (they make one),..... Call Smittybilt

This is it on a Ford
1663623111134.png

This is it on a Ford
1663623111134.png
Damn, that is some serious badass-ery. You’re right I couldn’t find it on their site but I believe you they still exist. I couldn’t even find an image of one on the Googs which surprised me though.

Alas, I don’t yet have the need for high clearance armor, and I am partial to the current facade of the truck. Going to stick with the minimalist approach for the time being—at least if/when the time comes for a bumper I’ll already have a winch :)

I noticed in someone else’s build thread they mentioned the ECGS clamshell (so I just edited my initial post and added that in. I did mine shortly after the lift to eliminate the cyclical humming vibration I noticed around 40-something mph and cruising on HW. I’m just over 2” of lift out front, but now I’m curious…

Who else has swapped out the needle bearing…and has anyone with similar/more lift not needed to?

I noticed in someone else’s build thread they mentioned the ECGS clamshell (so I just edited my initial post and added that in. I did mine shortly after the lift to eliminate the cyclical humming vibration I noticed around 40-something mph and cruising on HW. I’m just over 2” of lift out front, but now I’m curious…

Who else has swapped out the needle bearing…and has anyone with similar/more lift not needed to?
I had to do mine after 100 miles of my lift. It wasn't fun, but I did it in the garage with mostly hand tools. Some people pull the axle out, I didn't have (couldn't find) the axle nut socket, so I just popped it out of the diff and pushed it off to the side.

I also am at 2" of lift. I ordered the Yukon clamshell bushing from Amazon and the tool. The tool I got was super short and had to get creative when removing the stock bearing.

I had to do mine after 100 miles of my lift. It wasn't fun, but I did it in the garage with mostly hand tools. Some people pull the axle out, I didn't have (couldn't find) the axle nut socket, so I just popped it out of the diff and pushed it off to the side.

I also am at 2" of lift. I ordered the Yukon clamshell bushing from Amazon and the tool. The tool I got was super short and had to get creative when removing the stock bearing.
I didn’t realize there was any other option aside from ECGS for the bushing. You’re a better man than I—had an off-road shop do it. At the time, I was not prepared to take on that next step of mechanical difficulty.

Back