• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Gandalf the Blue

I didn’t realize there was any other option aside from ECGS for the bushing. You’re a better man than I—had an off-road shop do it. At the time, I was not prepared to take on that next step of mechanical difficulty.
I wish I had paid someone to do it lol. Lots of curse words were said. My dad just in the back laughing, only because it's usually him cussing :D

My dad just in the back laughing, only because it's usually him cussing :D
Hah! It allll comes full circle, case in point. I bet one day (if not already) you’ll be the one laughing as your kids rage away on their own axles

Tire update:

So I’ve been dealing with a pinhole leak in one of my tires for the better part of the summer, refilling every week or so patiently waiting for today which marks the start of the buy 3 tires get one for $1 sale at the dealership.

Turns out you can’t get a 255/80/17 through the deal LOL, so just placed an order on discount tire for the nitto recon grappler in that size. I have really enjoyed my ridge grapplers, though I think they have been underutilized in my specific application. The recons should be a perfect blend of offroad prowess and on road performance, really looking forward to rolling with them…

If the NRG's were too aggressive, the Recon's should be perfect. Interested to know how you feel about the change. I love my NRG's now that everything is tuned and the truck is deadened lol.

If the NRG's were too aggressive, the Recon's should be perfect. Interested to know how you feel about the change. I love my NRG's now that everything is tuned and the truck is deadened lol.
Right on. My ridge grapplers have almost a mechanical sounding whirl to me rather than a mud terrain roar. It’s not horrible in the cab but I’m also running a relatively smaller size.

Now that I have a reference point it’ll be easier to draw some real world conclusions on the Recon vs Ridges—I plan to compile some subjective/objective data for a future post after running four seasons with the new setup.

Tires purchased on Discount Tire Direct and came in super quick. Going to figure out a front end noise and make sure everything is set before I mount them.

Here’s a quick garage shot:
BA8F3A8E-A609-4288-AFFC-58860563468C.jpeg

Stoked for the upgrade to pizza cutters.

Tires purchased on Discount Tire Direct and came in super quick. Going to figure out a front end noise and make sure everything is set before I mount them.

Here’s a quick garage shot:
BA8F3A8E-A609-4288-AFFC-58860563468C.jpeg

Stoked for the upgrade to pizza cutters.
snl season 42 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Got the Recon Grapplers mounted today, really excited to experience the truck on these things!

Here’s a few shots— Also thought it’d be useful, so I made a separate thread to keep track of the tire.

56025347-7F31-48A1-9EDF-28C22301D4EF.jpeg5B6556F8-52B9-4074-89DD-370220865C9D.jpeg9ABDF2C7-E321-4D56-97E2-8A22E7213C39.jpeg

About a week in with the new tires and yesterday I rubbed for the first time. Was fully locked doing a K turn and caught the skid plate. Folded the outer edge of it down like origami.

I was able to remove it and bend everything back (plus a little more on each side), but now I suppose there’s reason enough to swap out to an aftermarket skid.

I looked briefly, have my eyes on those pro lookalikes. It’s a narrower profile so tires shouldn’t be able to reach it…

Back