• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

I don’t have in the Tacoma because I’m not a speed racer anymore (it’s hard to even get to speed with the weight now) but in my focus st I bought a hardwire kit, tapped an add a fuse into some ignition or something that’s only hot in run and ran the wire up behind the weather stripping that goes up the a pillar and into the headliner having the radar like to the side kinda above the rear view mirror

I’m watching this post as I want to see clean RD installs too.
I don’t drive fast but have a V1 that I swap between motor home and motorcycle. Okay a little fast on the bike but in the motor home it is great sniffing out those local speed traps. The dramatic speed drops on major hwys. going through small towns are the worst.
In the Tacoma I want to install my RD near the mirror and tap either the mirror or dome lights for power as to not have to run wire down to the fuse box.
Here im testing the rain/hail resistance of the detector so I don’t install unproven junk in my truck.
3ABD0402-2CB6-4B0A-9E30-7FD6C1FB0932.jpeg

I haven't gotten around to getting a RAM mount for my radar detector yet, but I'll eventually mount it to my DMM opposite my phone mount and run the wire down through the entertainment area.

However as mentioned above, I also don't often find myself speeding in the Tacoma because it's slow and the gas mileage tanks over 70mph. Still want to hook it up for driving around town though!

Surprised not many Radar-heads here
Is there much of a need for them in trucks like this? We aren't particularly fast. I think most of us generally don't go above 10mph over the posted limits, but I've cruised at 90-100mph in the middle of nowhere on the interstates and even then it's straight and flat roads so you can see what is up ahead. And while I don't use it, I know the Waze navigation app does a good job at marking cops on the map.

Back