• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Zero Cats

Huck89

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
Who out there has deleted all 4 of your catalytic converter‘s? If you have what setup are you running?

Please post, but include your name and address. Several states offer a reward and I could use a couple of bucks.

From what I can tell it's not legal to remove cats from cars that were made with them. Whether or not you're caught might come down to whether your state has inspections/emission testing.

There are mods I'm completely on board with that aren't actually legal, but I'm not seeing much of an upside to this one.

I would actually like to know if there are any drawbacks or possible performance increases to not running cats. If mine are ever stolen I'd sure as hell prefer running without if there is a performance gain rather than spend thousands trying to replace them. Theres a guy in my area with a new Tundra that got cut while sitting g in the airport garage. It's been at the dealership for a month and a half just waiting for new ones to arrive.

I would actually like to know if there are any drawbacks or possible performance increases to not running cats. If mine are ever stolen I'd sure as hell prefer running without if there is a performance gain rather than spend thousands trying to replace them. Theres a guy in my area with a new Tundra that got cut while sitting g in the airport garage. It's been at the dealership for a month and a half just waiting for new ones to arrive.
I’d like to know myself! I’m not a mechanic so my knowledge gap on the topic is sad lol. Common sense to me seems like if you are taking something off that’s restricting airflow in the slightest it would increase your airflow therefore increasing power. But like I said I’m not a mechanic I could be way off base here LOL. I’m sure like most of us have heard, I’ve heard both ways that it helps that it doesn’t help so I have no idea.

Last edited:
From what I can tell it's not legal to remove cats from cars that were made with them. Whether or not you're caught might come down to whether your state has inspections/emission testing.

There are mods I'm completely on board with that aren't actually legal, but I'm not seeing much of an upside to this one.
Yeah I’m not real sure if it helps at all I’ve heard yes and I’ve heard no but until I have some empirical data and some dyno stats then I’m kind of on the fence. I am a see it to believe it kind of guy.

Last edited:
Lots of yes and no's,...
some vehicles it is easy to replace the cats with a straight pipe ,... some vehicles computers will give you a hard time with fuel mixture.
Some will save gas and get some horsepower some will get almost none...... so it's not if you can the question is it worth the hassle.

Google Catalytic Converter Delete,... and read away. It's a Pro and Con thing depending on the vehicle.
Keep in mind you will not pass a state inspection if you are required to take one,.... again, where and who vs how it will treat you best.

I come from the day of big block vs small block and lets race!..................... cats were things that had claws and were chased by dogs.
We never even heard of them till the 70's..................... muscle cars rule!

This guy did the test on a Turbo,.... horsepower gain was at rev line and not much to be proud of really.
How often do you red line............. getting low end or mid range power would be more beneficial.
Original link: https://youtu.be/jUS3AKgwWtc

Back