• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

YouTube channels and discussion

Does anyone watch ChrisFix? He finally did a face reveal!

Honestly hadn't heard of them. After watching this, I realized I'm not missing out.

Honestly hadn't heard of them. After watching this, I realized I'm not missing out.
ChrisFix makes really easy to follow DIY mechanic guides in his driveway, by himself, with none of the typical YouTube BS that I can’t stand.

His big characteristic, though, is that he does not show his face. He has 7 million subscribers and chooses to stay anonymous to avoid the toxic stuff. Naturally, the running joke is when will he actually show it because apparently that’s important (it’s not).

So this Instagram with the girl is a play on that. The girl has nothing to do with the channel though.

His content is actually top notch if there’s something you need to learn.

Random example:

Original link: https://youtu.be/V_g1-WHD4rw

ChrisFix makes really easy to follow DIY mechanic guides in his driveway, by himself, with none of the typical YouTube BS that I can’t stand.

His big characteristic, though, is that he does not show his face. He has 7 million subscribers and chooses to stay anonymous to avoid the toxic stuff. Naturally, the running joke is when will he actually show it because apparently that’s important (it’s not).

So this Instagram with the girl is a play on that. The girl has nothing to do with the channel though.

His content is actually top notch if there’s something you need to learn.

Random example:

Original link: https://youtu.be/V_g1-WHD4rw
Jokes on me then.

I tried Mr. Buddy and found it to be clunky and slowed my browser down. Its purpose is good but the execution is meh.

I found an alternative called VidIQ that seems to have a better interface, isn’t slow, and has better developers. You guys should try that one.
Apparently VidIQ gives you trophies. I'm framing it.

1603135557406.png

frankie shaw smilf GIF by Showtime

I'm always leery of things I would need to download, especially for free. I suppose it's the tinfoil hat mindset of my industry. I'll get my 29th sub one day.

Does anyone watch ChrisFix? He finally did a face reveal!

dang it haha got me

I'm always leery of things I would need to download, especially for free. I suppose it's the tinfoil hat mindset of my industry. I'll get my 29th sub one day.
I get that. Especially with this where you have to allow it access to your account.

YouTuber that has a channel for YouTube tips and tricks with 256k subscribers (medium-large amount in 2020) made $25k for the month of September. Wtf?

1603225663945.png
wt

YouTuber that has a channel for YouTube tips and tricks with 256k subscribers (medium-large amount in 2020) made $25k for the month of September. Wtf?

1603225663945.png
wt
I'd definitely say that's kind of an anomaly where she probably had a video or two pop off. The guy I know with 300k made about $70k from YouTube in a year when he was around 200-250k.

YouTube revenue is super inconsistent though and entirely dependent on if a video hits the algorithm nicely.

From what I've seen, the view count doesn't matter quite as much as the average view duration as both minutes and a percentage.

As I mentioned before, higher view duration = better for algorithm because YouTube wants to keep users on its platform for as long as possible. So longer videos tend to do better, to an extent.

The avg view %, meaning what % of the video your viewers watched, has a greater affect on monetization from what I've seen/heard.

So a shorter video could potentially make more money with less views if the avg view % is high. This is because it's keeping the viewer engaged longer and is thus a "better" video to the algorithm.

I'd definitely say that's kind of an anomaly where she probably had a video or two pop off. The guy I know with 300k made about $70k from YouTube in a year when he was around 200-250k.

YouTube revenue is super inconsistent though and entirely dependent on if a video hits the algorithm nicely.

From what I've seen, the view count doesn't matter quite as much as the average view duration as both minutes and a percentage.

As I mentioned before, higher view duration = better for algorithm because YouTube wants to keep users on its platform for as long as possible. So longer videos tend to do better, to an extent.

The avg view %, meaning what % of the video your viewers watched, has a greater affect on monetization from what I've seen/heard.

So a shorter video could potentially make more money with less views if the avg view % is high. This is because it's keeping the viewer engaged longer and is thus a "better" video to the algorithm.
Good insight. That makes sense.

This doesn't HAVE to be truck or automotive related. I watch a bunch of random stuff. Haven't really watched too many Tacoma specific videos, but their time will come. Here's my watch list... (note: no access to Youtube at work to link, I'll update them later)

Lawn Care (who doesn't like a lawn transformation?):

The Boring Channel (aka Lawn Care Juggernaut)
Copper Creek Cuts

Automotive Related:

Speed Academy (their Tundra/4 Runner builds are awesome!)
330_Garage (amazing fabricator, 60's F100 Build)
Benny's Custom Works (from Australia, but does pretty in depth builds)
Gears And Gasoline
Mighty Car Mods (I mean who doesn't? But their Jimny build was neat)
Pan The Organizer (detailing related)
Ronald Finger (this kid is amazing, full 14 part series of a complete resto of a Fiero, HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
Stauffer Garage (more detailing)
The Skid Factory (another Australian one, this guys do amazing things)

Gun/Survival/Military Related:

Jamesons Travels (reviews military videos)
Marine Gun Builder (extremely detailed builder of firearms)
Tactical Toolbox (this guy is kinda annoying, but good info)
The FieldCraft Survival Channel
Vigilance Elite

Random Restorations:

my mechanics (Restores random things to new or better than new condition, often fabricating new parts)
TRG RESTORATION
TysyTube Restoration (this guy is nuts what he can save)

Streamers (yes I'm a gamer nerd):

TimTheTatman
Stonemountain64

Curious to see who/what else everyone watches.

We watch A LOT of YouTube. Thanks for the recommendations because we’re getting sick of the “YouTube celebrity” personalities and hope to find some new content.

Here’s some of mine:

Been watching him since his 3rd or 4th video and he got HUGE in just a few years. The content is starting to get a little too sellout-ish for me.

Been watching him for years and he’s never changed despite the fame.

This is where we originally found out inspiration to get a Four Wheel Camper to live on the road.

One of the few van life channels we like.

Technology reviews. I usually don’t even care about the product in the video but I watch it anyway because it’s relaxing watching him.

These two are fun if you enjoy watching crazy criminals doing crazy criminal things.

If you have any interest in woodworking, this is probably who you should watch.

DIY car maintenance tutorials. I usually watch the videos even though I know how to do it all, because it’s relaxing.

Last edited:
We watch A LOT of YouTube. Thanks for the recommendations because we’re getting sick of the “YouTube celebrity” personalities and hope to find some new content.
I hear that, I stopped watch Tavarish because of how scripted is was. You got a couple that peaked my interest for sure!

Tool Reviews - Project Farm - Doesn't take advertising and builds awesome test jigs. He's super popular now but same videos.
Tool Teardowns - Ave aka Skookum - Foul-mouthed but entertaining Canadian engineer completely dissects tools to show you how well (or not) they are made.
Locks 1 - Lock Picking Lawyer - gotten super popular but simple, short videos showing you how easy locks are to open.
Locks 2 - DeviantOllam - locks, bypass, and physical penetration methods.
Disasters - Fascinating Horror - Things gone terribly wrong.
Law Enforcement 1- Police Activity - second vote for this Bodycam footage channel.
Law Enforcement 2 - Audit the Audit - Police bodycam footage interactions are analyzed for the legality of the police activity.
Restoration - My Mechanics - second vote for this from rust to new channel.
HVAC - HVACR Videos - HVAC Repair guy takes you along on calls. I jump through them but find it interesting to see how it all works.
Planes - VAS Aviation - Uses ATC radio traffic recordings linked with a radar feed to show you plane emergencies in real-time.
Hacking - David Bombal - Network and WiFi hacking.
Cars 1- Dennis Collins - Mostly jeeps but Dennis Collins from Fast N Loud fame has a channel where he buys old cars. This super down to earth guy is fun to watch.
Car 2 - Ammo NYC - This car detailer is selling his product (or is sponsored to sell) but the work and tips are amazing and I don't detail.
Celebrity - Graham Norton Show - This UK talk show puts us talk shows to shame. Super funny. Very honest.
Race Relations - Emmanual Acho aka Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man - Just like the title sounds.

Tool Reviews - Project Farm - Doesn't take advertising and builds awesome test jigs. He's super popular now but same videos.
Tool Teardowns - Ave aka Skookum - Foul-mouthed but entertaining Canadian engineer completely dissects tools to show you how well (or not) they are made.
Locks 1 - Lock Picking Lawyer - gotten super popular but simple, short videos showing you how easy locks are to open.
Locks 2 - DeviantOllam - locks, bypass, and physical penetration methods.
Disasters - Fascinating Horror - Things gone terribly wrong.
Law Enforcement 1- Police Activity - second vote for this Bodycam footage channel.
Law Enforcement 2 - Audit the Audit - Police bodycam footage interactions are analyzed for the legality of the police activity.
Restoration - My Mechanics - second vote for this from rust to new channel.
HVAC - HVACR Videos - HVAC Repair guy takes you along on calls. I jump through them but find it interesting to see how it all works.
Planes - VAS Aviation - Uses ATC radio traffic recordings linked with a radar feed to show you plane emergencies in real-time.
Hacking - David Bombal - Network and WiFi hacking.
Cars 1- Dennis Collins - Mostly jeeps but Dennis Collins from Fast N Loud fame has a channel where he buys old cars. This super down to earth guy is fun to watch.
Car 2 - Ammo NYC - This car detailer is selling his product (or is sponsored to sell) but the work and tips are amazing and I don't detail.
Celebrity - Graham Norton Show - This UK talk show puts us talk shows to shame. Super funny. Very honest.
Race Relations - Emmanual Acho aka Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man - Just like the title sounds.
Nice recommendations. I’ll be busy next time it’s raining.

I subscribe to all these people. I took out the ones I only follow because they are personal friends. it's an eclectic mix in no order that i understand. Try a few. If I were to just pick one to recommend it would be Josh William's channel. He's an excellent musician I went to high school with. He plays a lot in the Phoenix area and deserves more recognition.

Gas Monkey Garage & Richard Rawlings
- You know who this is.

GrizzlyNbear Overland
- World traveling overland couple

The Watermill
- Couple rebuilding a 200 year old watermill in Scotland

Nick Johnson
- Gives very accurate descriptions of the populations of us states

Dennis Collins
- You know who this is

Coyote Works
- Oregon based overlander/historian/gunslinger

Don Joewon Song
- Video Game race cars

softroadingthewest
- Oregon based overlander/enviromentalist

Hagerty
- I like the barnfind series

dcamp29
- Xetreme sports guy

Headwaters Kayak
- I like their Kayak reviews

Natezoinks
- Oregon based overlander/bushcraft/gunslinger

ADVwithRoscoe
- Oregon based overlander/skiier/motorcycler/skottlecook

CJ_Adventure
- Oregon based overlander family

Hasso Hering
- Old guy from Albany Oregon who makes intensely local videos that I find charming for lack of a better term.

How It Should Have Ended
- Alternate movie endings

DRIVETRIBE
- The old guys from Top Gear's project.

Oregon Fishing
- Friend of mine who makes catastrophic failure fishing videos that make me laugh.

PomplamooseMusic
- Band that does covers I like

Simone Giertz
- Used to make shitty robots, now just makes weird but functional stuff

Dan Shepard
- Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell...I like the Africa video

Jesse Rizo
- You probably know this guy

John Prince
- Friend of mine who drinks a lot and then makes rocksmith videos

BLMOREGON
- I use this to find places to visit in the Oregon backcountry

Justin Grafton
- Professional videographer I grew up with

yovo68
- So there is this low bridge that truck keep crashing into...

Mark Rober
- Science guy

Unpaved Preferred
- T3G!

Arnold Schwarzenegger
- You know who this is

Classy Tacos
- T3G

love4fj
- Oregon overlander

Joshua Williams
- Excellent musician I grew up with

Tacoma Dad
- T3G

Paul Jr. Designs
- You know this guy

Primal Outdoors - Camping and Overlanding
- Oregon based 4WD Van

Mikey Teutul
- You know this guy

Weebl's Stuff
-Bizzare animated songs

Jenny Nicholson
- Nerd girl who talks about nerd things

PlanetRobbyDotCom
- Man who races everything

Hùng Lê
- Tacoma content

ShadowOXJ
- Oregon Overlander

Vinnie DiMartino
- You know this guy

tech1302
- T3G

Overland Pacific Northwest
- Oregon Overlander/fishing

Adventure Tacoma
- T3G

adventure w beltrans
-T3G

On Point Drone Works
- Drone videos

Off Grid Recon
- Oregon bushcraft

OzarkLander
- T3g

Zane Golia
- Weird video edits that make me laugh

David Dessert
- Excellent bird videos

Bush's Pennsylvania Wildlife Camera
- Trail cam videos

Wandering Winterfields
- TYLER!

L A U R E N R O C K E T
- Musician who does not get enough exposure

Seek Adventure
- Australian Overlander, he stopped making videos for the most part but the old ones are excellent

TS Gear
- Gear reviews

I'm a video nerd, in that i make videos on the cheap for work. I watch lots of Shotcut tutorials, VSDC tutorials, OBS Studio tutorials.

My hobby is painting so I watch a butt load of acrylic painting tutorials.

I also like watching big ship and fighter jet videos.

And my day wouldnt be complete without a couple segments of Dr. Pimple Popper.

@RevN3 — Great list, damn. I’m curious; did you add the little photos or did those show up automatically?
Honestly, I just went into youtube and copy pasta'd my sub list and the picts auto populated

Back