• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

You know those hood plates you see on Land Rover Defenders? Is that something we could do as well?

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
Here is what I'm talking about:

7aaf883341b2026d9c2ce437dc27c6d7.jpg

I watch a lot of GrizzlyNbearOverland on youtube so I have been thinking about these. I'm not sure of the purpose. I assume they are for allowing you to walk on the hood to latch down stuff and also for protection. I like the idea of having something similar. I doubt our hoods could hold the weight of a person though. I'm not sure if the material is like diamond plate or rubber. Anyone have any insight to what this is all about?

Yeah they strengthen the hood and fenders so you can walk on them. They are generally made of aluminum and riveted on.

Like the idea. Probably would need to reinforce the hood hinges and front latch if you were going to do much more than a cooler or a field dressed deer.

Speaking for hood plates sure why not but I don’t think it’ll be sturdy over our hood. Unless you reinforce with a backing plate under the hood. The land/range rovers hood and metal are thick and heavier duty than a tacoma hood!

Interesting idea,

I would however like to do some hood vents. Get some heat out of the engine bay when wheeling.

I may start doing that here soon. Haven’t found any decent looking vents yet though

Interesting idea,

I would however like to do some hood vents. Get some heat out of the engine bay when wheeling.

I may start doing that here soon. Haven’t found any decent looking vents yet though

Gold sheets under the hood would help a ton. May be a bit pricey but gold soaks up heat like a sponge.

Also a good place to park your money in case the USD collapses lol.

Interesting idea,

Or otherwise a functional hood scoop. There one on eBay by a brand that specializes in fiberglass hoods and has a functional hood scoop that scoops air to the intake area

Or otherwise a functional hood scoop. There one on eBay by a brand that specializes in fiberglass hoods and has a functional hood scoop that scoops air to the intake area

That would be nice but I don’t want a scoop. I want low profile vents.

Speaking for hood plates sure why not but I don’t think it’ll be sturdy over our hood. Unless you reinforce with a backing plate under the hood. The land/range rovers hood and metal are thick and heavier duty than a tacoma hood!
Nope, I've got a 110 Defender, an ex-British military truck and just like every other Defender the hood is aluminum sheet with some thin steel bracing underneath.
But adding the 5-bar does spread the load over the hood surface. I have it on my fenders but not the hood, the fenders are thin enough you can dent it with your elbows.
Mike

Back