• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Wheels!!!!! ADVICE

TOsoYOTA

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCLB Auto
White
I have been doing some research for wheels and tires. I have been having trouble and coming back to the same conclusion no matter how much I read and try to understand, but can someone plesse explain to me how to size the proper wheels for back-space and offset for a certain lift height? If you could just put it into layman's terms for me that would be SUPER helpful.

Also....anyone looking at this thread, could you give me some of YOUR recommendations for a quality wheel(BRAND) that does well for Offroad terrain, that can take somewhat of a beating if given the situation and that hold up well for everyday city use. Yes I am talking about wheels and not tires.

Thanks ya'll!!

I have been doing some research for wheels and tires. I have been having trouble and coming back to the same conclusion no matter how much I read and try to understand, but can someone plesse explain to me how to size the proper wheels for back-space and offset for a certain lift height? If you could just put it into layman's terms for me that would be SUPER helpful.

Great question, because I need this help too. ELI5.

Im rocking Method's Trail series 702 wheels, and in my own opinion they are the absolute best wheels on the market. Theres no fake beadlock lip where water and mud and crap can get caught up in the wheel and make it unbalanced. They have the bead grip technology which ive gone down to 5psi on the dunes and have jumped, done over 60mph, and rock crawled and never had a fear of popping a tire bead. They are super easy to clean as well, and they dont cost an arm and a leg!! :)

These have a 0 offset, 4.75" backspacing which gives me about 1-1.25" clearance away from my UCA. Yes I needed a CMC to fit with the 285/70/17 KM3 tires on a 2.5" lift.

asdc.jpg

Also....anyone looking at this thread, could you give me some of YOUR recommendations for a quality wheel(BRAND) that does well for Offroad terrain, that can take somewhat of a beating if given the situation and that hold up well for everyday city use. Yes I am talking about wheels and not tires.

Thanks ya'll!!
Great question, because I need this help too. ELI5.
ELI5 as best as I can:
  • The height of the lift isn't really relevant to this. It's more about how big of a tire you are going to run. Because the wider the tire, the closer it gets to your suspension components (especially the upper control arms). So, with backspacing, offset, or wheel spacers, you move the tire out from under the truck, adding more horizontal (the way the axle runs under the truck) clearance to avoid rubbing.
  • On that note, lift height is more relevant to the taller your tire is. The more lift, the more clearance you'll have above the tire, and also to the front and rear of it (helping the tire tread not rub on your front bumper or the corner of the fender/cab mount area of the frame).
  • Back to backspacing and offset. Because this is ELI5 and not technical, I'll put it like this:
    • An amount of backspacing greater than zero is like having a wheel spacer permanently attached to the wheel. The number conversions are confusing (like 4.75" backspacing pushing the tire out around 1.25" from under the truck), but if you remember that the higher the number, the more your tires will stick out, and the more clearance you'll have with the upper control arms, you will be good. Usually moving them out 1.25" is enough to always clear the upper control arms and not look weird. More than 2" and you might have a really wide stance, which could look bad, depending on your preference.
    • Now, offset. Forget what I just said about backspacing because this is unrelated. Offset is how "deep" your wheel will look (where the lug nuts attach). The numbers here are backwards; a negative offset means you'll have a deeper wheel. An offset of zero will have your wheel nearly flush with the sidewall of your tire (but not completely flush). There is functionality to this as well. A negative offset will also push the tire out from under the truck, giving you the clearance you need to not rub those upper control arms. An offset of zero or a positive offset will result in rubbing if you are running large tires (stock Tacoma wheels have zero offset). My wheels have a -10mm offset and that was enough to clear my UCAs with 35" tires.
  • Wheel spacers are an alternative, cheaper method to get the same thing done. You can use them with the stock wheels and they will push your tires out in the exact amount that the spacer is sized as. A 1.25" spacer will move the tire out 1.25". You install them by putting them on your hub, torquing them down with their own nuts, then installing your wheel onto the spacer with your original lug nuts.
As for what brands are good to buy, there are actually too many to recommend. I would start by looking at photos of other trucks to find a design/style that you like the look of. Then check on the reputation of that brand and how much they cost.

@Tyler Thank you for taking the time to write that up! I feel like I can follow along when people start talking about wheels and offsets and all that. I'm probably going to read it and refer to this several more times in the future. ?
No problem!

While you can just bookmark that in your browser, the button in the red box will let you bookmark it to your account on the forum:

4CD98AF7-BE74-4893-8F60-EFA1929A7C71.jpeg

ELI5 as best as I can:
  • The height of the lift isn't really relevant to this. It's more about how big of a tire you are going to run. Because the wider the tire, the closer it gets to your suspension components (especially the upper control arms). So, with backspacing, offset, or wheel spacers, you move the tire out from under the truck, adding more horizontal (the way the axle runs under the truck) clearance to avoid rubbing.
  • On that note, lift height is more relevant to the taller your tire is. The more lift, the more clearance you'll have above the tire, and also to the front and rear of it (helping the tire tread not rub on your front bumper or the corner of the fender/cab mount area of the frame).
  • Back to backspacing and offset. Because this is ELI5 and not technical, I'll put it like this:
    • An amount of backspacing greater than zero is like having a wheel spacer permanently attached to the wheel. The number conversions are confusing (like 4.75" backspacing pushing the tire out around 1.25" from under the truck), but if you remember that the higher the number, the more your tires will stick out, and the more clearance you'll have with the upper control arms, you will be good. Usually moving them out 1.25" is enough to always clear the upper control arms and not look weird. More than 2" and you might have a really wide stance, which could look bad, depending on your preference.
    • Now, offset. Forget what I just said about backspacing because this is unrelated. Offset is how "deep" your wheel will look (where the lug nuts attach). The numbers here are backwards; a negative offset means you'll have a deeper wheel. An offset of zero will have your wheel nearly flush with the sidewall of your tire (but not completely flush). There is functionality to this as well. A negative offset will also push the tire out from under the truck, giving you the clearance you need to not rub those upper control arms. An offset of zero or a positive offset will result in rubbing if you are running large tires (stock Tacoma wheels have zero offset). My wheels have a -10mm offset and that was enough to clear my UCAs with 35" tires.
  • Wheel spacers are an alternative, cheaper method to get the same thing done. You can use them with the stock wheels and they will push your tires out in the exact amount that the spacer is sized as. A 1.25" spacer will move the tire out 1.25". You install them by putting them on your hub, torquing them down with their own nuts, then installing your wheel onto the spacer with your original lug nuts.
As for what brands are good to buy, there are actually too many to recommend. I would start by looking at photos of other trucks to find a design/style that you like the look of. Then check on the reputation of that brand and how much they cost.
@Tyler @TRDOFHOLLAND Thank you both so much, Tyler thank you for the in depth response. I do understand more and I really appreciate the time and effort on the explanation. you both kick ass.

@Tyler @TRDOFHOLLAND Thank you both so much, Tyler thank you for the in depth response. I do understand more and I really appreciate the time and effort on the explanation. you both kick ass.
No problem. That’s what the forum is all about.

ELI5 as best as I can:
Thank you! I want to get Method the Standard wheels 4.5 back space 17/9 -12 tires looking at 285/70. I’ve been searching for if this is okay? Don’t want to rub cut chew …. I Like a slight aggressive look. Fingers crossed I read this right and I’ll be good?

Thank you! I want to get Method the Standard wheels 4.5 back space 17/9 -12 tires looking at 285/70. I’ve been searching for if this is okay? Don’t want to rub cut chew …. I Like a slight aggressive look. Fingers crossed I read this right and I’ll be good?

Are you lifted right now?
Might rub on the CMC and fender liner. When you make fuller turns, the inner and outer edges of the tire will move farther back into the wheel well. This will cause you to rub on the Cabin Mount.

Sometimes the more negative your offset it, it can push it out far enough to rub on certain spots. It's all a trial and error type thing. Each truck be slightly different in tolerances. Weight of passengers and whatever else is your vehicle can also have an effect on it.

Are you lifted right now?
Might rub on the CMC and fender liner. When you make fuller turns, the inner and outer edges of the tire will move farther back into the wheel well. This will cause you to rub on the Cabin Mount.

Sometimes the more negative your offset it, it can push it out far enough to rub on certain spots. It's all a trial and error type thing. Each truck be slightly different in tolerances. Weight of passengers and whatever else is your vehicle can also have an effect on it.
Thank you so much! Seriously I’m so consumed with this! First timer here and omg choices are unlimited! I Just went down to discount tire was gonna order the rims now I’m looking at the Fuel Rebels 🤦‍♀️🙆‍♀️🤷‍♀️Didn’t buy any wheels, but went to Costco after there and ended up ordering tires 285/70R17 😂 definitely need to figure out the wheels situation 😅 and I do have a 3” suspension lift.

Thank you so much! Seriously I’m so consumed with this! First timer here and omg choices are unlimited! I Just went down to discount tire was gonna order the rims now I’m looking at the Fuel Rebels 🤦‍♀️🙆‍♀️🤷‍♀️Didn’t buy any wheels, but went to Costco after there and ended up ordering tires 285/70R17 😂 definitely need to figure out the wheels situation 😅 and I do have a 3” suspension lift.
Width of the wheel? What offset?

Go with the Methods. IMO Method is a more function wheel company. Fuel is more of a fashion wheel company.
You should be good with that. Here's one with 17x8.5et0 Methods with 285/70/17. Lift around or under 3". Doesn't seem like they did a CMC.
There's also a 17x7.5et-4 with 285/70/17 tire.
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1zIJJk4p8

Another one 17x8.5et0 with 285/70/17. No CMC.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xk1d4EWKU

Don't know much about these guys but they are always doing Tacomas and usually show wheels, tires and lifts. Usually good to be able to see what it might look like. They usually give the specs and if they do a CMC. Looks like they just took off mud flaps. Go through their channel and you can find more. Usually safe with et0 then only have to worry about rubbing and stuff if you go bigger or lower offset. I think I'm just spiraling in random tangents right now...

Last edited:
Okay I will show and tell when my orders…. Come in cause I went shopping.
BF KO2 LT 285/70/R17 AT
METHOD WHEELS ( the Standard MR 301) 17 x 9 -12
I have a 2017 SR5 3” suspension lift
If I screwed this up I’m gonna be so upset. I really thought I did my research. Gonna watch those videos now. I can’t thank everyone enough for there input 🙌

This is with the 3” lift pictures are terrible didn’t have enough room to back up

Attachments

• 1FA7463A-B38E-43D0-B401-B4E3CD43171C.jpeg
    1FA7463A-B38E-43D0-B401-B4E3CD43171C.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 65E19CF4-5B0E-48FC-988E-A0D560C2F5CC.jpeg
    65E19CF4-5B0E-48FC-988E-A0D560C2F5CC.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 97A5887A-6330-42E1-AFFD-C51FAFA4102E.jpeg
    97A5887A-6330-42E1-AFFD-C51FAFA4102E.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 113
Rough country

Attachments