• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

wheel spacers.... 1.5 or 1.25?

So hard to read through all this. Which I did, I think. I have 2017 Tacoma with 285.75/16s. I cut the small plastic back of front fender. Still rubs a lot, on frame. I was told that a .25 spacer would take care of this. True? would a larger spacer make it rub more?
What wheels do you have? Offset?
Also which part of the frame?

This part?
1685487756494.png

Hard to tell until you try it. Then also account for extra weight. If it rubs now, an extra passenger might just cause it to rub anyway.

Going out further might make it stop rubbing in one spot and cause it to rub in another.

Have your pinch weld modded and a CMC?

What wheels do you have? Offset?
Also which part of the frame?

This part?
1685487756494.png
Thanks for the quick reply. I have factory 16s. Ummm the part of the frame? next to the back of the wheel well. Not sure what to call it.

If you do try out .25" spacers. I would only trust Bora. They have .25" spacers for $38 each.

I wouldn't trust the other cheap ones. Also try and get it from a place with a solid return policy. That way if it still rubs with a passenger, then you know it's not it.

If it's the nub thing that sticks out, then you should Cabin Mount Chop.

1685488739432.png

1685488745055.png

Went 285/75/16 on Pro wheels with 1.25” spidertrax spacers. No issues what so ever.
58254CA1-CE48-4178-9E1A-74779A194003.jpeg

Looks great. These are stock trd pro wheels? are they the same size/offset at trd offroad? I'll google it. But I've got same size tires, a 3inch lift/level kit, and still have a lot of rubbing after cutting off the plastic.

If you do try out .25" spacers. I would only trust Bora. They have .25" spacers for $38 each.

I wouldn't trust the other cheap ones. Also try and get it from a place with a solid return policy. That way if it still rubs with a passenger, then you know it's not it.

If it's the nub thing that sticks out, then you should Cabin Mount Chop.

1685488739432.png

1685488745055.png

Yes, it's that piece. Will a local shop do that? I called the shop who recently did my alignment etc and he said he could adjust the caster to stop or reduce rubbing. Do you think this will work and/or be ok?

Depends on how bad it's rubbing. Caster can only adjust so much. I want to say no and the CMC is the best answer. Are you on factory suspension? I feel the CMC would get it to stop rubbing. Then adjusting caster would be the end helper in case you have additional weight. I find that I rub on sharper turns when I have a passenger. Rarely when I'm by myself as I don't take turns hard being mindful of it.

Also a spacer might actually make it worse. Largest tire on factory height and wheels is 33"x10" or 32.6"x10.4". You're at 32.8"x11.2". I believe a spacer will only push it out further and cause clipping in the same area or shift to the front with how wide your tires are.

Cabin mount chop can really be done by any shop or welder. Watch a bunch of videos. Be sure it's cut angled back. Don't cut straight down. I made that mistake twice and need to get it done a third time. You can see it's pretty simple. Lifting also helps. Also check into the pinch weld mod. It's a good idea and safer.

1685560334567.png

1685560316400.png

Depends on how bad it's rubbing. Caster can only adjust so much. I want to say no and the CMC is the best answer. Are you on factory suspension? I feel the CMC would get it to stop rubbing. Then adjusting caster would be the end helper in case you have additional weight. I find that I rub on sharper turns when I have a passenger. Rarely when I'm by myself as I don't take turns hard being mindful of it.

Also a spacer might actually make it worse. Largest tire on factory height and wheels is 33"x10" or 32.6"x10.4". You're at 32.8"x11.2". I believe a spacer will only push it out further and cause clipping in the same area or shift to the front with how wide your tires are.

Cabin mount chop can really be done by any shop or welder. Watch a bunch of videos. Be sure it's cut angled back. Don't cut straight down. I made that mistake twice and need to get it done a third time. You can see it's pretty simple. Lifting also helps. Also check into the pinch weld mod. It's a good idea and safer.

1685560334567.png

1685560316400.png

Interesting. I have a 3" lift already. Think a 4" would be good? I'll try the caster adjustment tomorrow and see how it goes. Then decide between cmc or lift. Thanks again.

@LBsurf - was there something you meant to add to your post? Looks like it is quoting someone else but your actually reply is missing.

Back