• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What to expect when the turbos come out

Thycidides

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2023 Pro Manual
I come from the tuning world. I traded in my Lancer Evo for my truck. Here is what to expect…

Expect for owners to discover the limits on the block. You’ll see lots of owners crying on forums over windowed blocks in the first few years. We don’t know what the block limits are for the new trucks. For comparison on the Evo X, the limits were not on the HP, but rather torque. You could push 500 hp in the 2L engine but once you went over 420 ft lbs you were in the danger zone with snapped rods. Update the rods and sleeve the short block and that tiny engine could handle 800 hp / 550 ft lbs all day. Mitsubishi massively overbuilt their engines and transmissions because they expected you to do this. But Toyota is not expecting this from Taco owners, so I suspect we will see many tears in the first few years.

Expect an explosion of new parts and engine mods for the trucks. People will update blow off valves, hot and cold piping, intakes, intercoolers, updated injectors needed for bigger hp, larger turbos, bigger down pipes, bigger fuel rails, larger turbo back piping, high flow / test pipe cats, and much more. Expect COBB Tuning and others like them to get involved selling different staged tunes, and other traditional Tacoma vendors to desperately try to grab that market with various success.

Expect crazy new owners doing crazy new things. Expect the entire culture of Tacoma to shift as nut jobs like me void their warranties (I voided mine by tuning it in dealer parking lot) with heavy mods and engine tunes. It will be very interesting to watch how Toyota deals with this new reality :)

I expect the ECU and TCU to be heavily encrypted by Toyota. I also expect it to be exploited within days or weeks after smart tuners dig into it.

I got out of that tuning scene since I’m in my 50s now and it is exhausting to daily drive a race car downtown every day. I absolutely love the feeling of my manual TRD Pro. I’ll alway love raking gears, even though it’s not very fast.

All in all, it will be entertaining seeing the truck community change!. Enjoy the show!

i learned that lesson with a 420A Eagle Talon. My 2nd motor, with racing internals, was happy at 30lbs of boost and a 75 shot of nitrous. (i was almost 50 when i got into the "tuning scene".) part of getting old, for me anyway, is competition and drag racing just isn't important anymore. i want a car that is fun to drive, something that will stick to tight curves at 70mph and jump to 100 coming out of them. i traded the talon for a tuned solstice a few years ago, but the performance is about the same. my driving has stayed about the same too. lol

i don't think it will change much. why tune a taco? except for something mild to improve acceleration and towing, i don't see a reason for anything radical. there may be a show truck here and there, but it's never going to handle like a sports car, or win a drag race.

disclaimer: i always obey the posted speed limits in populated areas. i avoid populated areas as much as possible.

i learned that lesson with a 420A Eagle Talon. My 2nd motor, with racing internals, was happy at 30lbs of boost and a 75 shot of nitrous. (i was almost 50 when i got into the "tuning scene".) part of getting old, for me anyway, is competition and drag racing just isn't important anymore. i want a car that is fun to drive, something that will stick to tight curves at 70mph and jump to 100 coming out of them. i traded the talon for a tuned solstice a few years ago, but the performance is about the same. my driving has stayed about the same too. lol

i don't think it will change much. why tune a taco? except for something mild to improve acceleration and towing, i don't see a reason for anything radical. there may be a show truck here and there, but it's never going to handle like a sports car, or win a drag race.

disclaimer: i always obey the posted speed limits in populated areas. i avoid populated areas as much as possible.
That car had a 4G63 in it, right? Awesome engine. Iron semi-closed block. Mad power. As for tuning, heck, I’ve been looking for supercharger options for my Lexus GX 460. I can’t seem to escape this addiction.

nope. had the 420A (chrysler) engine. the rods are the main weakness in that engine but it's bulletproof otherwise. was going to sell it and find a 4g63 eclipse then i met some of the 2GNT Neon tuners and went down that rabbit hole instead. FWD though and useless from a standstill. car handled better than anything i've ever driven.
i would boost that Lexus! Just because.

Back