• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

what else is needed to level ??

Jacket4256

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
I figured this may be the best place to ask my question, I searched and came up with nothing. I am going to do the Bilstein 5100 leveling kit on my 21 OR do I need to change out he bumpstops ? I have heard of people doing this and it helping the ride quality and less of a squat when the truck is loaded down with the hitch weight and/or tongue weight ?

I have read decent things about these :

the Timbren

The Sumo Springs

bump stops keep your axle/rear suspension from riding on the frame, but they don't help with ride unless you're constantly bottoming out (loaded too much for the suspension set up).

If you do ride around on your bump stops, you need to spend your money on upgrading springs to handle to extra weight.

In my opinion, you need fancy bumpstops if you're pushing your truck to the limit in high speed off road situations. If you're leveling for looks, slightly bigger tires, or marginally improved capability, stock bump stops should be fine.

bump stops keep your axle/rear suspension from riding on the frame, but they don't help with ride unless you're constantly bottoming out (loaded too much for the suspension set up).

If you do ride around on your bump stops, you need to spend your money on upgrading springs to handle to extra weight.

In my opinion, you need fancy bumpstops if you're pushing your truck to the limit in high speed off road situations. If you're leveling for looks, slightly bigger tires, or marginally improved capability, stock bump stops should be fine.

Thanks for the reply, I think for my setup I will be fine. I read a article about replacing them but it was more of a hey buy what I am promoting type article over informative so I wasn't sure If it was a need.

Thanks for the reply, I think for my setup I will be fine. I read a article about replacing them but it was more of a hey buy what I am promoting type article over informative so I wasn't sure If it was a need.

Which kit are you looking at? Some will say kit and not include certain things or some will think of everything.

Carrier Bearing Spacers is a good idea.
1/4" spacer for the driver side.
Sometimes you need to supply your own leaf spring bolts if going AAL.

I'd only swap front and rear bump stops if you're doing some serious wheeling.

Last edited:
I have a 2.5 lift and I did put on the taller bumps front and rears….in case Of bottoming out…
Due to the camper (Leers) 6 foot long..and I carry lots of fishing and camping gears….l May replace the rear duro bump stops to either black or yellow Sumo bump stops? I travel on hard lava road trails, and sometimes soft sand…
Bump stops will keep you from bottoming out to the max…best to get the right size bump stops for you own safety…
Helps from leaning on turns too… Sumos will help keeping the rear end sagging too much…for those times of extreme loads..
Aloha

Which kit are you looking at? Some will say kit and not include certain things or some will think of everything.

Carrier Bearing Spacers is a good idea.
1/4" spacer for the driver side.
Sometimes you need to supply your own leaf spring bolts if going AAL.

I'd only swap front and rear bump stops if you're doing some serious wheeling.

just doing a leveling of the front, so 1-2 in the front and nothing in the back.

I am not doing any hard wheeling with this at all, may do some fire roads or some easy stuff.

just doing a leveling of the front, so 1-2 in the front and nothing in the back.

I am not doing any hard wheeling with this at all, may do some fire roads or some easy stuff.
Just grab the 5100 fronts, 883/4/5 springs, 1/4" spacer and carrier bearing spacer.

I did the 2/1" 5100s. 2" in the front, and a 1" block in the rear. This is basically the OEM TRD lift.

Kept the factory OR springs (as recommended by Bilstein) and factory bump stops. Only extra weight I have in the rear is my steel bumper. In the front I just have a Bullbar.

Last edited:
Back