• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Welcome to the Tacoma3G.com soft launch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paige

🐾☠️💕
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
BEST OF 2020
3ADC72F2-E6A4-4B9F-A975-02268A1A0EAA.jpeg

Acadia National Park

Hey everyone! It’s December already and we are preparing to say goodbye to one hell of a stressful year. However, as 2020 comes to an end, Tyler and I have been looking back at the silver linings of this year. We installed the camper. We made new friends. We spent time exploring parts of our home state that we never had before. We camped. We day tripped. We had fun however we could despite restrictions.

As we start to really buckle down on our build and prepare to hit the road, we have been consolidating our gear and fine-tuning some of the essential items in our kit. There are a few items we have yet to add, (maybe Santa will bring them to us), but there have been several really awesome items that have already changed the game for us and we wanted to share them with you.

note: Most of these items are linked directly to the item we actually purchased. A few have been substituted for a comparable item due to unavailability.

Lifestyle

Nalgene bottles
These bottles are basically indestructible. They are easy to hold and come in a variety of colors, sizes, and designs.

Nalgene insert
These silicone inserts make it easier to drink out of wide mouth bottles so you sip while moving, driving, etc.

Thai deodorant
This deodorant is all natural. It keeps smell away and lasts a very long time.

Dr. Bronner’s soap
This soap is camp safe as it is biodegradable. It’s an 18-in-1 soap and can be used in so many ways.
And it’s certified fair trade, cruelty free, organic, and vegan!
Several scent options available.

Dr. Bronner’s toothpaste
Also camp safe! And it’s certified fair trade, cruelty free, organic, and vegan!

Biodegradable bags
It’s in the name. Bio friendly! Good for small trash bins. Worth finding dog-doo sized bags too.

Blue driver code reader
This thing is so easy to use. The reader sends the data to the phone app through Bluetooth.
This saved us quite a few trips to the mechanic.

Computer backpack
We love this backpack because it has such a unique look for camera bag.
It has a laptop slot, rain cover, adjustable storage for lenses, etc.

REI Camp Boss camp chair
So many people love these chairs! They’re insanely lightweight. comfortable, strong, easy to put together, and they stow small.

Functionality

Tire pressure gauge
If you don’t have one of these, then just delete your account.

Tire deflators
Somehow we are new to these! No more deflating one tire at a time!

Traction Boards
These are a more affordable option to the “name-brand” options.
They look cool and they work well.

Leveling blocks
Thewe are a must have for campsites, driveway repairs, photo ops, etc.

Air compressor
*Does not have to be ”name-brand”*
For those of us who aren’t ready for onboard air. These fit well in the rear seat storage.
Some of them take a while to get the psi up but do the trick and save you from driving on low pressure to the gas station.

Ratchet straps
Always comes in handy when you least expect so they’re good to have somewhere at all times.

Tow ropes
Same thing. Keep at all times!

D Ring Shackles
These can be “installed” on the truck or just kept somewhere in the truck. But they give your tow ropes something to pull on!
And to be honest they look kinda cool, too.

Headlamps
Handheld flashlights are for the birds. With two free hands, you can do so many more activities!

Airbags and Cradles
These were so easy to install. They help support heavy weight in the bed of the truck and keeps it stable.

Dash Cam
Such an easy install. It probably took 5 minutes. Everyone should have one of these in case of an accident.
*make sure you have a micro SD card for this guy.

Quality of Life

Scrubba Wash Bag
We don’t have this yet. But apparently makes washing clothes during camping/road life very easy.
I can’t wait to try this one out.

Mr. Heater
Not necessary if you have the proper cold weather gear but great for camping or using in the garage or workshop.

Thetford 365 Portapotti
Life. Changing. Purchase. Being able to use a clean toilet at any time is HUGE.
Cold outside the tent? Creepy crawlers outside? Crowded campsite with no head? Thank me later.

ARB Zero Fridge Freezer
Expensive upgrade, but it’s a million times better than a cooler full of water and wet food. This fridge has the ability to be a fridge, a freezer, or both. Has Bluetooth capabilities for temperature monitoring and controls. Looks cool. Works amazing. Very low draw.

Although we are grateful for our health and all we have, 2020 has felt like a fog. All of the things we had planned never came to fruition, and like many of you, we have been through some really dark and scary times. Here’s to wishing for a new year filled with happiness, adventure, and putting all this gear to good use. We hope these items inspire you to get out there and see all the incredible things Earth has to offer.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday and new year!

Last edited:
BEST OF 2020 need a better header / title / possibly an image

Hey everyone.use a ! instead of a . It’s December already/somehowdrop the somehow and we are preparing to say goodbye to one of the biggest piece orof* crap years of our lifetimeis there a different way to describe the year? biggest piece of crap sounds immature. However, as 2020 comes to an end, Tyler and I have been looking back at the what type of highlights? positive/better/silver lining highlightshighlights of this year. We installed the camper. We made new friends. We spent time exploring parts of our home state that we never had before. We camped. We day tripped. We had fun however we could.however we could despite the bullshit/restrictions/struggle etc

As we start to really buckle down on our build and prepare to hit the road, we have been consolidating our gear and fine tuningfine-tuning* thesome of the must havemust-have* or use a different word, essential items in our kit. There are a few items we have yet to addstop at yet to add -- delete "to said kit" to said kit,no comma (maybe Santa will bring them to us), but there have been several really awesome items that have already changed the game for us and we wanted to share them with you.

*PLEASE NOTE:drop the please and make note lowercase in bold or in underline Most of these items are linked directly to the item we actually purchased. Onlydrop only a few have been substituted for a comparable item due to unavailability.

Lifestyle

Nalgene bottles
These bottles are basically indestructible. They are easy to hold and come in a variety of colors, sizes, and designs.

Nalgene insert
These silicone inserts make it easier to drink out of wide mouth bottles so you sip while moving, driving, etc.

Thai deodorant
This deodorant is all natural. It keeps smell away and lasts a very long time.

Dr. Bronner’s soap
This soap is camp safe as it is biodegradable. It’s an 18-in-1 soap and can be used in so many ways.
And it’s certified fair trade, cruelty free, organic, and vegan!
Several scent options available.

Dr. Bronner’s toothpaste
Also camp safe! And it’s certified fair trade, cruelty free, organic, and vegan!

Biodegradable bags
It’s in the name. Bio friendly! Good for small trash bins. Worth finding dog-doo sized bags too.

Blue driver code reader
This thing is so easy to use. The reader sends the data to the phone app through Bluetooth.
This saved us quite a few trips to the mechanic.

Computer backpack
We love this backpack because it has such a unique look for camera bag.
It has a laptop slot, rain cover, adjustable storage for lenses, etc.

REI Camp Boss camp chair
So many people love these chairs! They’re insanely lightweight. comfortable, strong, easy to put together, and they stow small.

Functionality

Tire pressure gauge
If you don’t have one of these, then just delete your account.

Tire deflators
Somehow we are new to these! No more deflating one tire at a time!

Traction Boards
These are a more affordable option to the “name-brand” options.
They look cool and they work well.

Leveling blocks
Thewe are a must have for campsites, driveway repairs, photo ops, etc.

Air compressor
*Does not have to be ”name-brand”*
For those of us who aren’t ready for onboard air. These fit well in the rear seat storage.
Some of them take a while to get the psi up but do the trick and save you from driving on low pressure to the gas station.

Ratchet straps
Always comes in handy when you least expect so they’re good to have somewhere at all times.

Tow ropes
Same thing. Keep at all times!

D Ring Shackles
These can be “installed” on the truck or just kept somewhere in the truck. But they give your tow ropes something to pull on!
And to be honest they look kinda cool, too.

Headlamps
Handheld flashlights are for the birds. With two free hands, you can do so many more activities!

Airbags and Cradles
These were so easy to install. They help support heavy weight in the bed of the truck and keeps it stable.

Dash Cam
Such an easy install. It probably took 5 minutes. Everyone should have one of these in case of an accident.
*make sure you have a micro SD card for this guy.

Quality of Life

Scrubba Wash Bag
We don’t have this yet. But apparently makes washing clothes during camping/road life very easy.
I can’t wait to try this one out.

Mr. Heater
Not necessary if you have the proper cold weather gear but great for camping or using in the garage or workshop.

Thetford 365 Portapotti
Life. Changing. Purchase. Being able to use a clean toilet at any time is HUGE.
Cold outside the tent? Creepy crawlers outside? Crowded campsite with no head? Thank me later.

ARB Zero Fridge Freezer
Expensive upgrade, but it’s a million times better than a cooler full of water and wet food. This fridge has the ability to be a fridge, a freezer, or both. Has Bluetooth capabilities for temperature monitoring and controls. Looks cool. Works amazing. Very low draw.

missing an outro, maybe ask what items they would add

Last edited:
As you all know, we have been living full time in the truck camper. This comes with change in routine to normal daily activities like cooking and laundry, but I seem to have found some items that have really made life easy and comfortable in such a small space. I wanted to share them with you because we really do use these things and they really do work as intended. We use most of these items daily, have purchased them ourselves, and are not sponsored by any of the companies in any way.
I'll list them in no particular order.

1. YETI Rambler 14oz Mug - This mug has really changed the game for me. It keeps my coffee hot for hours. I truly cannot stand drinking coffee from a regular mug anymore because it gets cold and gross before I can finish it. The lid doesn't leak and has the magnetic slider. Of course, YETI makes these in tons of different colors, too so you can have multiple colors in your "set" or you can match it to other YETI products you already have.
  2. HydroFlask Water Bottles - I have had my HydroFlask for 6+ years and I have always raved about it. I use a 40oz exclusively for water. It keeps the water cold and ice stays intact for a very long time. There are different lids/straw options for this which is also nice because I prefer a straw for these wide-mouthed bottles. They also make a Trail Series bottle which is lighter in weight if that's important to you.
  3. Bodum Electric Kettle - I was using a percolator to heat my water and it was fine but took a while. We have the wattage on board to handle 1200W so I did some research and settled on this one. It pulls a lot of power but nothing extreme and does no damage if I run the truck while using it. Now I don't have to set up the stove and propane just for coffee/tea/etc.
  4. Hot Water Bottle - Don't underestimate the power of old fashioned products. I was gifted one of these and it's such a game changer. I reuse the water over and over as to not waste the limited water we carry on board. Its great at camp, in bed, and for the dogs. It can be the difference between being uncomfortably cold and perfectly cozy.
  5. Snugpak Sleeper Extreme - We snagged these at the MCX on Camp Pendleton. We needed low temp sleeping bags and didn't want to spend a fortune so we tried these out and are so impressed. The comfort temp on this model is 19ºF and the low temp is 10ºF. They have tons of different options and they are very reasonably priced.
  6. Scrubba Wash Bag - This thing is so great. We use it as a dirty laundry bag between wash days. Its air and water tight and has silicone scrubbers inside. Easy to use and store and the clothes actually feel and smell clean. There are different sizes available, too.
  7. Coleman Camping Stove - We opted for a traditional camping stove so we weren't forced to always cook inside. Well built, sturdy, and easy to store, these are obviously a staple in the camping culture and for good reason. I don't think I need to sell anyone on this stove.
  8. Reliance Collapsible 5 Gallon Container - This is a great option for keeping extra drinking water with you at any moment. We don't use this every time we fill up, but it's been so good to have. When not in use it folds down so flat and it can be tucked in anywhere. So much more convenient than lugging around a hard sided 5 gallon container.
  9. GSI Ultralight Java Drip - Like I said earlier, I was using a percolator for my coffee and it although that's arguably the best tasting coffee, it is a pain to clean and I was using a lot of water to clean it. This tiny, lightweight, and inexpensive gadget is awesome! It clips to your mug, you fill the mesh, and pour the water over the grounds. Easy to clean, and no coffee bits at the bottom of your mug!
  10. Swigzy Car Cupholder Adapter - No more water bottles rolling around on the floor and falling off the seat. This adapter has an adjustable base so it snugly fits any cupholder but it expands the size exponentially. I can now have my HydroFlask or Nalgene bottles in a cupholder safe and secure where they belong.

Last edited:
Legend: Priority | Regular | | Long Term Goal | Completed | Canceled

UNCATEGORIZED IMMEDIATE IDEAS (SORT LATER)
  • Smaller what's new widget listing more posts
  • Random YouTube instead of latest
  • Convert all cost comparison threads to our new tables system, then link to them in the tutorials tab and around the net
  • Use tables for other things, such as common acronyms and whatever other tutorials we can
  • Rewrite vendor program. AGAIN!
  • Sticky thread in general for list of helpful threads
  • Better about page/history
  • Redo the footer and add a link to the about thread
BACK-END/TECH
  • Finish configuring server
  • Optimize disc space
  • Implement a good backup system - external hard drive included
CONTENT
  • Better about page
  • Thread with all of our history
  • Giveaways page - included in history
  • Gallery page via Instagram widget
  • Meets page - included in history
  • Have an actual homepage with industry news and shit
  • Update tutorials system - add T3G created tutorials
  • Finish FAQ system
  • Create a wiki
FRONT-END
  • Cross-posting of sticky threads
  • Native iPhone app
  • Better emojis
  • Build thread links in posts
  • Reorder truck colors in user profiles
  • Disable profile posts
  • Add 2020 as a year
  • Revise welcome PM, add how did you find us question, link to supply shop
GIVEAWAYS
  • Find sponsor and then publish 20k posts giveaway
GRAPHICS/DESIGN
  • Update rotating trucks and slogans
  • Add Army green theme
  • Add dark themes
  • Update main logo image to be more HD and have new logo
  • Update category background images
  • Update forum new posts icons
  • Update all favicons and social media icons to have an actual Taco in them
MEETS

MERCH

• Create patches
  • Better store add-on
  • More sticker designs
  • Find quality prints for shirts
NAVIGATION/FORUM STRUCTURE
  • Photography section
  • Separate feedback and announcement forum
  • Use thread prefixes for more things
  • Use thread prefixes for marketplace including automatically moving sold items to archive
  • Outdoors/camping section
  • Fix outdated navigation links
SECURITY
  • MySQL and cPanel security improvements
  • Hire server admin
SEO/PROMOTION
  • Get higher on Google
  • Optimize speed tests
  • Start analyzing competitor analytics
  • Learn how to properly use paid advertisements - keep trying with Google AdWords
  • Buy more domains, redirect them to our site
SOCIAL MEDIA
  • Build YouTube up
STAFFING
  • Reevaluate all permissions including vendor permissions
  • Create business cards
  • Ensure all business accounts are streamlined for staff members
  • Increase security across the board
  • Add website gurus and staff writers
  • Add forum moderators
SUPPLY SHOP
  • BDS Tactical = place for physical shop
  • Build Shopify store
  • Find first drop-shipping partner
  • Business credit card
VENDORS
  • Rewrite vendor program to be a paid / free program and contact vendors about it
  • Create an affiliate program for the vendors
  • Premium vendors and regular vendors
  • Contact inactive vendors
Tacoma3G 59 Rig of the Month
6/10/22, 7:00 AM, Monthly
CONTENT IDEAS
#content
Directory for OVTune stuff https://tacoma3g.com/threads/vf-tuner-ovtune-tacoma-ecu-flash-tune-options- and-feedback.35/post-81683
Does anyone collect stuff thread
Common torque specs table
What similar threads did your build thread get, thread
Ask for FAQ questions on T3G
Make videos how to edit your profile and stuff
Need to finish write-ups for Hammer Hangers, Powerbrakes, OVTune
WW article from Trail Tacoma on T3G
WikiPosts enabled
Rewrite about and forum guidelines
Do a forum FAQ / newbie page and include PWA https://xenforo.com/community/threads/progressive-web- app.181448/
How did you find T3G thread, add it to welcome message Preventative maintenance mods you should do
Merge off topic threads to create bigger threads with more traffic Make list of other useful websites
Set up Toyota press room
STYLES / UI
#ui
page1image20290464
page1image20291088

Make a color palette list
BB code buttons and media add-on
Tire size calculator
Better thread fields for buy/sell threads
Add helpful links to signature, show sigs on mobile and build thread on mobile
New user titles New User Titles... Ideas please. - Revit Forum (https://www.revitforum.org/forum/revit-all-flavors/forum-suggestions-and-feedback/285-) Better homepage
Use tags in clever ways to sort important threads
5/29/22, 9:02 PM Page 1 of 3
Display all message reactions so people know they are there
Should forums be in grids and have more forums like this Forum list (https://www.fordtremor.com/forums/) Add a navigation button for the user’s build thread and make special build thread field inputs Maybe use sub forum links for prefixes or tags
New favicon
Media gallery categories for each color of truck
Put the hamburger menu on the right for mobile site
Better marketplace and better SEO in marketplace with notices, thread prompts, etc. Rejected/disabled users have special nav CSS
You can sticky a thread and then move it to a different forum to create a sticky redirect
Add change username to account menu
BUGS / QUESTIONS
#bug
What is with Font Awesome AMP template edits?
MERCH / MONETIZATION
#monetize
User essentials can allow custom upgrade amounts https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user- essentials.6272/
Collect all replies from mass donations email
Better store and vendor program, fill in vendor descriptions for SEO Collect all photos of T3G stickers
YotaRigs network site to send vendors to
YotaRigs email has ToyotaRigs IG, Stripe account, Giphy account
Make shirts ourselves
Create an exclusive coupon code drop down menu for members/vendors Display valued vendors on front page in widget slider
TRAFFIC / SEO
#seo
Google AdSense
MySQLTuner
Dial robots.txt
Victory 4x4 blog about T3G’s RotM RSS feed finder
page2image20185712
page2image20186336
page2image20187168

5/29/22, 9:02 PM Page 2 of 3
Advertise on Facebook Tacoma groups Follow T3G regulars on IG
Quick bashing video of Taco
5/29/22, 9:02 PM Page 3 of 3

Directory for OVTune stuff https://tacoma3g.com/threads/vf-tuner-ovtune-tacoma-ecu-flash-tune-options- and-feedback.35/post-81683
WikiPosts enabled
Do a forum FAQ / newbie page and include PWA https://xenforo.com/community/threads/progressive-web- app.181448/
How did you find T3G thread, add it to welcome message Preventative maintenance mods you should do
Merge off topic threads to create bigger threads with more traffic Make list of other useful websites
Set up Toyota press room

Should forums be in grids and have more forums like this Forum list (https://www.fordtremor.com/forums/) Add a navigation button for the user’s build thread and make special build thread field inputs Maybe use sub forum links for prefixes or tags
New favicon
Better marketplace and better SEO in marketplace with notices, thread prompts, etc. Rejected/disabled users have special nav CSS
You can sticky a thread and then move it to a different forum to create a sticky redirect

User essentials can allow custom upgrade amounts https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user- essentials.6272/
Better store and vendor program, fill in vendor descriptions for SEO Collect all photos of T3G stickers
Make shirts ourselves
Create an exclusive coupon code drop down menu for members/vendors Display valued vendors on front page in widget slider

Google AdSense
MySQLTuner
Dial robots.txt

UNCATEGORIZED IMMEDIATE IDEAS (SORT LATER)
Smaller what's new widget listing more posts
Random YouTube instead of latest
Convert all cost comparison threads to our new tables system, then link to them in the tutorials tab and around the net
Use tables for other things, such as common acronyms and whatever other tutorials we can
Rewrite vendor program. AGAIN!
Sticky thread in general for list of helpful threads
Better about page/history
Redo the footer and add a link to the about thread
BACK-END/TECH
Finish configuring server
Optimize disc space
Implement a good backup system - external hard drive included
CONTENT
Better about page
Thread with all of our history
Giveaways page - included in history
Gallery page via Instagram widget
Meets page - included in history
Have an actual homepage with industry news and shit
Update tutorials system - add T3G created tutorials
Finish FAQ system
Create a wiki
FRONT-END
Cross-posting of sticky threads
Native iPhone app
Better emojis
Build thread links in posts
Reorder truck colors in user profiles
Disable profile posts
Add 2020 as a year
Revise welcome PM, add how did you find us question, link to supply shop
GIVEAWAYS
Find sponsor and then publish 20k posts giveaway
GRAPHICS/DESIGN
Update rotating trucks and slogans
Add Army green theme
Add dark themes
Update main logo image to be more HD and have new logo
Update category background images
Update forum new posts icons
Update all favicons and social media icons to have an actual Taco in them
MEETS

MERCH
Create patches
Better store add-on
More sticker designs
Find quality prints for shirts
NAVIGATION/FORUM STRUCTURE
Photography section
Separate feedback and announcement forum
Use thread prefixes for more things
Use thread prefixes for marketplace including automatically moving sold items to archive
Outdoors/camping section
Fix outdated navigation links
SECURITY
MySQL and cPanel security improvements
Hire server admin
SEO/PROMOTION
Get higher on Google
Optimize speed tests
Start analyzing competitor analytics
Learn how to properly use paid advertisements - keep trying with Google AdWords
Buy more domains, redirect them to our site
SOCIAL MEDIA
Build YouTube up
STAFFING
Reevaluate all permissions including vendor permissions
Create business cards
Ensure all business accounts are streamlined for staff members
Increase security across the board
Add website gurus and staff writers
Add forum moderators
SUPPLY SHOP
BDS Tactical = place for physical shop
Build Shopify store
Find first drop-shipping partner
Business credit card
VENDORS
Rewrite vendor program to be a paid / free program and contact vendors about it
Create an affiliate program for the vendors
Premium vendors and regular vendors
Contact inactive vendors
Directory for OVTune stuff OVTune - VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback (https://tacoma3g.com/threads/vf-tuner-ovtune-tacoma-ecu-flash-tune-options-and-feedback.35/post-81683)
WikiPosts enabled
Do a forum FAQ / newbie page and include PWA XF 2.2 - Progressive web app (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/progressive-web-app.181448/)
Set up Toyota press room

Make a color palette list
BB code buttons and media add-on
Tire size calculator
Better thread fields for buy/sell threads
Add helpful links to signature, show sigs on mobile and build thread on mobile
New user titles New User Titles... Ideas please. - Revit Forum (https://www.revitforum.org/forum/revit-all-flavors/forum-suggestions-and-feedback/285-)
Better homepage
Use tags in clever ways to sort important threads

New favicon

User essentials can allow custom upgrade amounts User Essentials (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-essentials.6272/)
Make shirts ourselves

Google AdSense
MySQLTuner
Dial robots.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back