• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

We all love our trucks, but what made you buy it in the first place?

I always liked Tacomas, but never seriously considered buying one. Then my wife started shopping for SUVs. While we were at the Toyota dealer looking at Highlanders, I started scoping out the Tacos.
Long story short....we ended up with two new 2017 Toyota’s. Lol.
I had to get mine 600 miles away though. Couldn’t find a manual anywhere close to home.
Sounds a little like me. But I only got one, lol.

Previously owned a 2004 subaru sport wagon because it was all wheel drive. I like going outdoors and shooting in the desert and being that the Subaru was lowered I always had to rent a truck to go outdoors. Always wanted a diesel but my wife said it was to expensive so pulled the trigger on my second option. I now own a 2018 double cab long bed in cement. Best purchase I’ve done so far.

I shouldve waited and opted out for the Cement color... Oh well. my Silver taco will serve me well. <3

I always ask two questions about the 4x2. Why does Toyota make them? And why do people buy them? Just kidding, I understand they have a purpose. (not kidding tho)

It’s dope that the ZR2 has a front locker. Wish Toyota did that. But damn the Colorado is ugly.
you can always buy a ARB front locker ;)

Was on deployment after selling my AWD Volvo S60 T5 and wanted something I could take almost anywhere and be reliable while camping, always wanted a Tacoma but never pulled the trigger. Got back from 10 months in the gulf and drove it off the lot the next day. I’ll never regret blowing that 45k in one evening.
B953BFBE-E7AB-4A0E-B8AA-401C0C5F17B8.jpeg

@koshasha I have almost 18000 miles on my '17 and just last week heard the howl for the first time. Normally I drive with my music loud, so was it always there? or am I hearing it now because I have read about it? For now, I will just keep my volume up and not notice it.
Got 20.5k on my 17’ that I’ve racked up since December 17 and no howl. Check your vin to see if it’s mexican. People noticed a reduction in quality when they switched main production to that plant

Was on deployment after selling my AWD Volvo S60 T5 and wanted something I could take almost anywhere and be reliable while camping, always wanted a Tacoma but never pulled the trigger. Got back from 10 months in the gulf and drove it off the lot the next day. I’ll never regret blowing that 45k in one evening.
Most badass Taco purchase there is, lol.

Previously owned a 2004 subaru sport wagon because it was all wheel drive. I like going outdoors and shooting in the desert and being that the Subaru was lowered I always had to rent a truck to go outdoors. Always wanted a diesel but my wife said it was to expensive so pulled the trigger on my second option. I now own a 2018 double cab long bed in cement. Best purchase I’ve done so far.

Really diggin' that cement color!

We needed something that would allow us to make a trip to both costco and ikea in one trip. We always end up picking up everything that’s not on the list. In the end, a SB doesn’t fit much but i got a sweet truck now. ;)

good man.

I was in the market for a new car and just recently graduated college. Wanted my first truck that I could enjoy and throw more money into since i dont have tuition anymore!!! I test drove the 2020 TRD Pro and Sport and fell in love with the Sport! Bought it one week later and haven’t regretted it since! I cant wait to start modifying it and having some off road fun!

Attachments

• 7CFCE1FC-E58E-4203-8197-6641EF7E02F5.jpeg
    7CFCE1FC-E58E-4203-8197-6641EF7E02F5.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 62
Hey all..new to the forum, figure this would be a great place to start...I've always been a toyota guy so I got myself a 2005 DC with 3in lift and 33's. Well, life changes so I needed a bigger truck, in comes the 2010 Tundra XSP. Now I dont need a big truck any more, so now I'm back with a 2018 MGM TRD Sport DC.
Screenshot_2020-05-26-23-41-05-1.png
Screenshot_2020-05-26-23-37-48-1.png
20200515_165921-1.jpg

Last edited:
Long story actually, I was about 15 at the time, you know little kids are always into fast cars. My dad had a Lexus NX F-Sport, One day he told me he wanted to trade it in for a 4Runner I called him crazy and made fun of him... Little did i know. so he got his 4Runner and Within a week it had a lift and tires. I was hooked. I was looking at getting a TJ as my first car, then the Toyota bug bit me, I fell in love with the Tacoma, a couple of months later and a-lot of saving later i finally found a job where i was comfortable enough too have a monthly payment...

I remember it like it was yesterday, I was eating a bowl of chocolate rice crispy when my dad screamed "the deal for the truck is ready" I instantly jumped off my ass and went to go get it. And now we live happily ever after.

Needless to say, Don't give up.
Best decision ever!

Have had 3 other trucks were all Chevy but always kept putting off getting the one I really wanted because of cost. Not this time, I just went in to look and drove home with it.

Always wanted a truck since I was a kid. Used to play with & make videos of RC trucks rock crawling/mudding.

Always liked the Tacomas. In high school I had finally convinced my parents to buy me a clean 1st gen at an awesome price but it sold before we got the deal done. At the time I really liked the 2nd gens but they were too pricey for me and I ended up getting a 2014 Ford Focus to take to college.

Around the time I got the Focus, the 3rd gen Tacomas came out and I LOVED the look. A lot of people were hating on them for the large, gaping grille (I remember the feeding whale jokes) but I thought it looked so badass.

Fast forward 3.5yrs through college I landed a great job and finally had the means to buy a truck. However, I was looking at getting the all-new 2019 RAM 1500 because they looked awesome inside and out.

Honestly not quite sure what happened, but at some point while researching RAMs I stumbled upon some 3rd gen Tacoma videos and fell in love again lol so I ended up doing a ton of research & shopped around until I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a 2019 TRDOR.

Thought I would try a Toyota. My wife has had great luck with her 2011 and 2015 TRD Sports. My 2020 is garbage. It does have great gas mileage because it likes to loaf along at 1100 RPM's. This truck could be incredible with a few changes. It looks awesome, has a decent ride. The trans is beyond bad!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 70
Was tired of going low in sports cars, thought i would try going up in a truck. Also, i found that with my wife's Q5, we couldn't make a costco and an ikea run in the same trip. Then i realized a short bed doesn't pack much when you have a tonneau cover. haha

Back