• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ways to track a Tacoma 2016?

LondRetty

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Recently my spouse cheated on me, so we are going through a divorce. He co-signed my truck at the dealership. I know for a fact that he has been following me. I think its through Onstar, but i am not sure. Can someone tell me if and how i can remove the Onstar device from my truck? Or are there any other ways he could be tracking my location?

Truck - 2016 Tacoma

Any help is much appreciated.

tracking a vehicle is easy nowadays. They sell multiple devices on Amazon for right around 100 bucks. I've use them occasionally for other things. The OnStar you just shut the service off and it won't be usable any longer. You really need to scrub your vehicle to see if a device has been installed. Most of them are magnetic so you can look in the most obvious Of places on and under the truck. I have put them on the spare so you may have to drop your spare to look.Also make sure you delete find friends off your phone if in fact you have that. Your cell phone maybe you're number one tracker..

Like TacoSurf said it is really easy to track people today. Make sure you aren’t sharing your location with him on your cell phone. Assuming you are using an IPhone go to your husband’s contact info on your phone and scroll to the bottom. If you see this.
47369E16-FA6D-40CE-9A0F-4E5E93287F27.jpeg
Then you are currently sharing your location with him. Just tap on that and you will fix that problem. Also, change your Apple account password. He could be logging into Find my IPhone from any computer and tracking your phone location that way. If he has downloaded some third party tracking app to your phone you can shut off location services on your iPhone to disable it. 859E0291-909A-4A3D-BC09-FEA957D39A1A.jpeg
A36B4CB9-864B-46A0-9AB5-B70D612EC648.jpeg
C7238E73-3EB7-41A7-82CD-4E091008A672.jpeg
If you shut off your location services for a week and you notice that it seems he isn’t following you anymore then you are going to have to investigate your apps a little more. As far as tracking devices on your truck, check for something plugged into your OBD2, that would the easiest way to place a powered tracking device in your truck. Without a tracking device it should look like this.
0D1D0629-F770-4CA5-AB35-61F887C3E00C.jpeg
But, also like TacoSurf said, there a thousands of cheap tracking devices out there. If you don’t find something in your OBD2, you could be looking under your truck, under your seats, between your truck body and bed for something this small..
02904873-10C1-47EE-9C23-93C58265F5B0.jpeg
They do sell tracking device detectors, I don’t know how well they work but if you find that he isn’t tracking you through your phone or a OBD2 device it might be worth 50 bucks to try one of these.
120532A7-983D-4BE2-9287-E4979E265296.jpeg
Before using the detector I would disconnect your trucks battery so you aren’t picking up all the electronics that are wired in your truck. If he placed a non OBD2 device it likely runs on batteries, not your truck’s battery. Good luck and sorry you have to deal with this.

He has a financial responsibility for the vehicle as much as you do, and legally is involved in the debt of for the vehicle. if I was you I would either pay off the vehicle or sell it to pay it off and get the other party off of the lien. But im sure once you are in court for the divorce that will all be hashed out as of now it is communal debt. As for tracking the vehicle not much you can do about that at the moment. if there is a tracker on the vehicle you would have to find and unplug it. if it by your phone then change your settings. you didn't mention if the title is in both of your names? if that is the case then when it comes to tracking the vehicle, yes that can be done as he would also be considered an owner.

2016 tacoma doesn't have on-star, so that would not be a tracking method.

Back