• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

(VIDEO) - Icon Add-a-Leaf install/How-To

Hey guys,

I didn't find any good YT videos of an AAL install so I decided to make one showing how I did it.
I'm sure there's better & easier methods out there but it was my first time so hopefully it can help another first-timer.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXUZ4ebO394
Awesome! I’ll be purchasing an AAL kit very soon and while I know how it works, I’ll definitely have your video up for reference. Thank you.

So been getting ready to do mine. Came across this a few times.
Is this shim backwards? Tapered/narrow edge should be forward correct?
Thicker/fat end goes to the rear?

Just making sure. Not saying you're wrong because I don't really know.

rBykhM.jpg

So been getting ready to do mine. Came across this a few times.
Is this shim backwards? Tapered/narrow edge should be forward correct?
Thicker/fat end goes to the rear?

Just making sure. Not saying you're wrong because I don't really know.

rBykhM.jpg
Yes it's backwards. At the time I didn't realize it was even a shim because of how thin it is.. didn't notice one side was thinner.

I actually ended up posting a video about it months later:

Original link: https://youtu.be/U05C9nlBkpM

Yes it's backwards. At the time I didn't realize it was even a shim because of how thin it is.. didn't notice one side was thinner.

I actually ended up posting a video about it months later:

Original link: https://youtu.be/U05C9nlBkpM
Just doing my homework before I YOLO it and mess it up.
With my luck it will be axle hit the ground, spaghetti everywhere.

Just doing my homework before I YOLO it and mess it up.
With my luck it will be axle hit the ground, spaghetti everywhere.
Haha you got it man! It's not a crazy difficult install, just make sure you have all the right tools.

Biggest thing is to watch the brake lines so they don't get overextended. Otherwise the hardest part is grinding off the brackets.

I've taken the leaf pack apart like 3-4 times now. Make sure you torque everything to spec after & check after 1k or so and you should be fine.

Otherwise the hardest part is grinding off the brackets.
So I've seen it both ways. I'm just throwing my overload back in. So have to figure out what to keep on, what to remove. I think one was removed when the AAL was installed. Some even cradled the one bracket into the overload.

For the rear, 14mm/17mm/19mm should cover the main parts right? Just trying to figure out if I need to grab anything higher.

Shift I work makes it impossible to make it to any stores.

So I've seen it both ways. I'm just throwing my overload back in. So have to figure out what to keep on, what to remove. I think one was removed when the AAL was installed. Some even cradled the one bracket into the overload.

For the rear, 14mm/17mm/19mm should cover the main parts right? Just trying to figure out if I need to grab anything higher.

Shift I work makes it impossible to make it to any stores.
I don't remember exactly but if you have a standard set of sockets/wrenches you should be good. The only thing that might be bigger is the lug nuts, depending on what wheels you have on. I know the stock lugs are pretty big.

Keep in mind you'll need to use a deep socket or a wrench for nut on the centering pin of the leaf pack.

I don't remember exactly but if you have a standard set of sockets/wrenches you should be good. The only thing that might be bigger is the lug nuts, depending on what wheels you have on. I know the stock lugs are pretty big.

Keep in mind you'll need to use a deep socket or a wrench for nut on the centering pin of the leaf pack.
Just trying to make sure before taking stuff apart and getting stuck. Sort of like the front. Thought 22mm would be the largest. I have 1 12 point. But 6 points were the way, needed shallow/deep sockets and a wrench. Pretty sure I used up to 24mm. Lol. Thanks man.

Back