• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Toyota News Video by Toyota: Tacoma vs. Colorado

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
This might be helpful for those that join / lurk this forum before buying a Tacoma?

Seems a bit strange that they bothered to make this video now but I guess I could see it being useful if they turned it into a series and compare the Tacoma to the other competing trucks.

Original link: https://youtu.be/nnPV8arECjc

Until Toyota puts disc brakes on all 4 corners they can stfu.

I was looking at three vehicles before I bought the Tacoma. Colorado bison and the gladiator. Didn't like the gladiator because it's Chrysler first year and they're having frame problems. Had a Sierra and Silverado so I was very familiar with GM quality. The Colorado bison didn't impress me quality wise. It was very top-heavy. That's why I bought the taco.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be helpful for those that join / lurk this forum before buying a Tacoma?

Seems a bit strange that they bothered to make this video now but I guess I could see it being useful if they turned it into a series and compare the Tacoma to the other competing trucks.

Original link: https://youtu.be/nnPV8arECjc
I would on the other hand pit the 2021 Tacoma against the OG F-150 and the decent-looking Sierra 1500 for that matter, as the Chevy Colorado, according to me, is a bit overpriced for the feature roster it provides. The Tacoma can tow much more than Colorado's (5000 lbs capacity) on any given day. It's much more fuel-efficient, although to be fair, the hike in price does get you a fair bit of extra power than the rest in the Colorado. Moreover, with Tacoma's outright selling points being its solid rugged reliability and its fairly impressive resale value, the 2021 Tacoma surely is the better of the two or me.

What’s wrong with drum brakes ? They work fine in a truck. Never had an issue. I am on my third Tacoma and the rear brakes all lasted over 100 k miles

Why is every truck in its class, and over its class using disc brakes then

I would on the other hand pit the 2021 Tacoma against the OG F-150 and the decent-looking Sierra 1500 for that matter, as the Chevy Colorado, according to me, is a bit overpriced for the feature roster it provides. The Tacoma can tow much more than Colorado's (5000 lbs capacity) on any given day. It's much more fuel-efficient, although to be fair, the hike in price does get you a fair bit of extra power than the rest in the Colorado. Moreover, with Tacoma's outright selling points being its solid rugged reliability and its fairly impressive resale value, the 2021 Tacoma surely is the better of the two or me.
100% agree with you. Not because I’m biased. The facts are real.

Why is every truck in its class, and over its class using disc brakes then
Disc might stop better but drums are better for “heavy duty” and abuse. Not that you’re doing anything heavy duty with a Taco but they do generally have hundreds of pounds of gear attached to them due to the culture. I guess that’s why but I also doubt that’s the actual reason.

I guarantee that’s not the reason. We’re talking about Toyota here. The same company that waited until 2020 to add a power seat option to the best selling vehicle it produces. Every vehicle in its class has offered dual power seats for over 20 years.

I guarantee that’s not the reason. We’re talking about Toyota here. The same company that waited until 2020 to add a power seat option to the best selling vehicle it produces. Every vehicle in its class has offered dual power seats for over 20 years.
True. It’s probably just them keeping their trucks basic for as long as possible.

The place I work had Nissan Frontiers in their fleet. Disc brakes on the rear and in my opinion didn’t stop as good and have way more brake issues . Are disc brakes better in concept .... yes
dId I ever have trouble with my Tacoma rear brakes ... no . All of them stopped fine . As a matter of fact I still have a set of rear shoes in my garage from ny 03 first gen . I bought them because I figured they must be bad when I at 105 k . When I pulled the drums off they were still decent . Now granted that truck was a manual trans so I think that can help the pads last longer depending how you drive

Back