• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

VA Home loans - Did you serve in the National Guard?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
I just learn if you served at least 6 good years or more in the National Guard , you may qualified for VA home loan.
You will need the form DD-22 & DD-23 .
Where to get the forms? Contact your local National Guard unit in the State you did your service in. May need to submit the form Dd-180 , this is a request form .
Contact your local Veterans Center for more information. There is a few more benefits.

On the Big Island of West Hawaii . Kona , Hawaii- State Veterans Cemetery, run by the County of Hawaii. A national guards man can have a service there, but cannot be buried there. (Benefit is the use of facility). With 21 gun salute. Taps.

Direct links to the VA site to verify eligibility and apply.
Save a trip.

Someone post if I serve in the Hawaii National Guard. Yes! My Mos was 92y & 92G.
I did my basic training at Fort Campbell ,Kentucky, & My AIT at Fort Lee Virginia.

I was with the 298th Field Depot Unit ( Headquarters unit). 70’s . I join while I was still in Hight School. I did 4 years of High school ROTC. . I wanted to go Army. We loss our head instructor (Vietnam)that summer . I was a junior then. My two other classmates (Seniors) went to Vietnam only one came back. So I decided to join the National Guard.
Because of my fours years of ROTC, when you enlist , become a Private First Class. On the first day with Private First Class pay. Nice!

Fort Campbell is the home of the 101st Airborne Rangers. Due to shortages of basic training camps, We were sent there and train by 101st Airborne Drill Sergeants. (DI)

Funny story to add ,there were 4 of us from Hawaii. One DI that use to be station in Hawaii. Took to liking us. Call us the “Pineapple’s “ when they needed a detail for special jobs ,he would volunteer us every time. Ended up with being a good detail jobs. (Easy ones).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you ! On the coffee farm where I lived , we raise what is refer too as White pineapples. Only found in Hawaii ,due to its rich volcanic soils.
The Island of Kauai raises the white pineapple. The skin is yellowish, and the inside also. Very sweet.
Normal pineapple is more “golden in color”

How can you tell a pineapple is sweet? Smell the bottom of the pineapples, should smell sweet. If a pungent smell maybe over ripe
Should feel heavy, means more juicy
Squeeze the pineapple ,should be firm and slightly soft, if hard and solid most likely not ripe
If it has leaves? Call the Front, should be easy to pull out, meaning it is ripe

Hawaii has a few pineapples fields left , buy cannot compete with world , which can produce pineapples cheaper.
In high school many summer jobs were available for the kids ,in the Cannery or picking pineapples , which I did doing the summer months. Picking pineapples on the night shift . No longer available.

Being called a “pineapple” at that time was refer to people who lived in Hawaii. A nice nick-name.

All of our. buddies want to be your friend, so when they ever come to Hawaii, we would be there connections. We made lots of friends. Aloha - Meaning welcome!

Most nick names can swing both ways , it’s the way you use it.
Our drill sergeant like us. So it was a complement..

The Hawaiian word use for description of a (foreigner) is the word “Haole”… this word is commonly use word to describe a white person. ( White Tourist).
The way it is said and use can be good or bad. Example - “Most of the people at the beach were the Haole’s .” How the pronunciations of it is use , the tones , the intent of it, can be good or bad.

Anyone visiting Hawaii will hear this word “Hoale” . It is not meant to be offensive! Just a description.

You can call me a “Pineapple”. This is a good thing. It describes someone connected to Hawaii.
Anyone raises bananas?

I've used the VA loan process twice! I was 9 years National Guard, 1 deployment to Iraq, Hurricane Katrina. My combat deployment covered me for eligibility.

Congratulations you were able to get a VA home loans.
If your National Guard unit was deploy to active service by the Federal Govenment and your pay check was paid by the Federal Government this makes you a Veteran. I do not know the length of time needed to qualify?
There are still many things I am just learning about the VA benefits for the National Guardsmen.

Congratulations you were able to get a VA home loans.
If your National Guard unit was deploy to active service by the Federal Govenment and your pay check was paid by the Federal Government this makes you a Veteran. I do not know the length of time needed to qualify?
There are still many things I am just learning about the VA benefits for the National Guardsmen.
Yes, we were attached to the 101st on our deployment in Iraq. If I recall correctly you needed more than 180 active days in a combat zone to qualify.

Thank you for sharing this info. The is interesting your served with the 101st. Airborne Rangers.
Where I did my basic training. Fort Campbell Kentucky.

At 18 years old , Fort Campbell they provided a adult only carnival on base. I never went in any tents , my buddies all came out either smiling or with stories.

Is Pineapple as a nick-name no longer nice?
You can call me a “Pineapple”. This is a good thing. It describes someone connected to Hawaii.

48E1EDD3-948C-417B-8CAE-8C71EBB649C0.jpeg

When we are done living on the road, using the VA home loan will be my next thing to figure out. Not really excited for the whole home buying process, though.

The benefits a super for VA loans.
No down payment
No private mortgage insurance
Lower interest rates
Limited closing cost
No prepayment penalty
Relax credit requirements
Accepts multiple forms of income
VA appraisal
Foreclosure avoidance
Multiple types of VA loans.

Being a Veteran has many benefits. Realtors/ Lenders like working Veterans.

When we are done living on the road, using the VA home loan will be my next thing to figure out. Not really excited for the whole home buying process, though.
I can’t speak to the VA process, but buying a home is fun. Location location location. With all your travels you should have a pretty good idea of where you will want to be.

Agree with the above . In real estate and as a good investment. The three mains rules of buying properties.
First rule buy in a great location.
2nd rule buy in a great location
3 rd rule buy in a great location.
Follow the 3 main rules in owning real estate , for a home or as a investment. Will make you a smart owner.

Today Hawaii average home prices is near $900,000+
Hawaii is now being brought up by many Billionaires. They discover it’s great locations and values . One island (Lanai) 90% is own by one owner. Larry Ellison.
Mark Zuckerberg is buying lots land on the island of Kauai.
Near four seasons 8 billionaires have properties on the point of the Big island.
Tiger woods , Charles Schwab, Tom Watson. also own land on the Big island. Plus many others.
My brother-in-law would follow Tom Watson Senior tournament every year and they became friends. Tom now enjoys our Kona coffee.

Today Hawaii has many non- resident buying up the properties. Driving prices even higher today.
The Big Island the properties and land is still affordable, compare to rest of the islands.

Buying a home using the VA process was so easy. We've went through the process twice. Our mortgage officer was fantastic. Find someone familiar with the VA process and you'll be golden. My guy was great each time. Went above and beyond. I would refer him to you, but it's a bit of a drive.

When buying a home alway work with experience Realtors ( the more years of experiences the better).
Same with Loan companies, I work with the Supervisor of my loan company. My experience turn out better because of her knowledge and skills.

Always ask how many years they have a Realtor license? A Realtor with a Broker license is even better.
Same with a loan officer ask how many years of experience. Rookie? Or Pro?

Thank you for sharing this info. The is interesting your served with the 101st. Airborne Rangers.
Where I did my basic training. Fort Campbell Kentucky.

At 18 years old , Fort Campbell they provided a adult only carnival on base. I never went in any tents , my buddies all came out either smiling or with stories.
@Lava road, the 101st are not "Rangers". They are just "Airborne" due to their ability to conduct Air Assault operations (and move stuff). There is one Pathfinder Unit stationed at Fort Campbell that is Airborne as well. Then you have the Special Ops at Fort Campbell: 160th SOAR (Airborne) and 5th SFG (Airborne). I was stationed there for 4 years.
Ranger Units only belong to the 75th Ranger Regiment and their subordinate Commands.

Thank you for the correction. 101st is a Airborne unit. Not a Rangers unit.

There was a Drill Instructor , when marching we will sing a song “ I want to be a Airborne Ranger, I want to live a life of danger, etc.. That is where I got the term “Airborne Ranger”…just a marching song.

When buying a home alway work with experience Realtors ( the more years of experiences the better).
Same with Loan companies, I work with the Supervisor of my loan company. My experience turn out better because of her knowledge and skills.

Always ask how many years they have a Realtor license? A Realtor with a Broker license is even better.
Same with a loan officer ask how many years of experience. Rookie? Or Pro?

That really goes both ways. Some with experience just don't care or don't take some people seriously. Some younger and newer realtors want to be the best, so they stay up to date on things the old heads don't bother with. They'll go that extra mile to earn referrals. It goes both ways. It's finding a good fit for you as the buyer and finding with with a mix of both.

Good point , Not everyone will be helpful. But I prefer working with people who will have years and years of experiences. Same with mechanics, and other professions. Same for lawyers and Doctors ,you will want to work with someone with lots of experience, and had a good track records.

Good point , Not everyone will be helpful. But I prefer working with people who will have years and years of experiences. Same with mechanics, and other professions. Same for lawyers and Doctors ,you will want to work with someone with lots of experience, and had a good track records.
Yeah, no wrong answer there. Definitely experience and reputation/performance.

Thank you for the correction. 101st is a Airborne unit. Not a Rangers unit.

There was a Drill Instructor , when marching we will sing a song “ I want to be a Airborne Ranger, I want to live a life of danger, etc.. That is where I got the term “Airborne Ranger”…just a marching song.
I remember that song in Airborne School circa 1990. Man, that brings back some memories.
:cool:

Thanks for sharing that valuable info about VA home loans for National Guard members. It's great to know that serving for at least 6 years can make you eligible. And those forms, DD-22 and DD-23, are crucial. To get 'em, reach out to your local National Guard unit in the state where you served. You might even need to submit form DD-180 as a request. For more deets, hit up your local Veterans Center. They'll have additional benefits to fill you in on. By the way, if you're ever in Chelmsford, don't forget to consider chatting with a Mortgage Broker in Chelmsford. They've got the know-how to help you make smart financial moves.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this valuable information about VA home loans for National Guard members. It's great to know that those who served for at least 6 years in the National Guard may qualify for this benefit. Obtaining the required forms like DD-22 and DD-23 can be done by reaching out to your local National Guard unit in the state where you served. Don't forget that submitting the DD-180 request form may also be necessary. For more details and additional benefits, it's worth contacting your local Veterans Center. They can provide further information and guidance. On a side note, I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm also on the lookout for similar information. It's always helpful to exchange knowledge and experiences. By the way, when it comes to financial questions, consulting with a Mortgage Broker in Swindon can offer valuable insights and assistance. They can provide expert advice tailored to your specific needs.

Last edited:
Back