• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Truck Ordering

JOE TACO

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I have been playing around on the Toyota website, and 'built' the exact truck that I want through their 'build' tool. At the end, it was coming to a total of $44,000, and had a 'get quote from dealer' button, and I clicked. I ended up getting an email response from a sales rep that started asking questions about finding out what truck I was looking for. After sending him the breakdown of the truck I wanted again, he explained that it would have to go through the allocation process, to see if he could get that exact one, and that I couldn't special order because Toyota stopped doing this about 2 years ago. After, he quoted my exact build to be somewhere between $38,000-$39,000. My question is, is he yanking my chain on all of this, or does this sound legit?

i was also told that Toyota didn't do special orders. i told the salesman exactly what i wanted and he came up with a list of trucks that would be available. i picked the one that was the closest match and it came in about 3 weeks later. price was pretty close to what i had figured online.

I have been playing around on the Toyota website, and 'built' the exact truck that I want through their 'build' tool. At the end, it was coming to a total of $44,000, and had a 'get quote from dealer' button, and I clicked. I ended up getting an email response from a sales rep that started asking questions about finding out what truck I was looking for. After sending him the breakdown of the truck I wanted again, he explained that it would have to go through the allocation process, to see if he could get that exact one, and that I couldn't special order because Toyota stopped doing this about 2 years ago. After, he quoted my exact build to be somewhere between $38,000-$39,000. My question is, is he yanking my chain on all of this, or does this sound legit?
They don't do orders, they have to take what they get from Toyota. However, if it's early enough in the build process, they should be able to have things added. Have him send you the spec sheet so you can verify. Also, depending on what it is, you can possibly order from their parts department and roll it into the price/vehicle once it arrives.

And as far as price, the two high volume Toyota dealerships in my area are advertising just over invoice, but $5k less is more than invoice/msrp difference.

Hmm… I’m pretty stubborn, especially when it comes to spending $40k! I also have the luxury of this being a ‘want’ item, instead of a ‘need’ item, so waiting to get what I truly want would be more of an inconvenience to them than me. We’ll see if they step up their game when it comes time for me to seriously persue this endeavor of ordering.

When I ordered my truck I walked into the dealership, told them what I wanted and had them customize one of the trucks they had allocated. Mine was easy, I just had them remove every option it came with except for the tech package. Saved ~$4k on a bunch of stuff I didn't want or didn't want to pay for them to install.

hope it goes well for you and curious to see

I had a similar experience to @drizzoh and had them remove the "dealer adds" though watch them closely as they have their ways of putting money back on as other hidden charges/fees

Back