• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

TRD skid plate Hardware

dustytaco

3️⃣ Silver
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Quicksand
Good afternoon everyone. I recently had work done which required the skid plates to be removed. The shop could not get last two bolts to thread and suggested I buy longer hardware since I have RCI tranny skid that is sandwiched between the TRD engine skid. Well, longer bolts would also not thread into place. I'm assuming they are weld nuts that they go into, but is it common for those to break off? What would be the best way to fix it? Rivnuts? Any suggestions/help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

The clanking around during bumps is really annoying. Thank you

The bolts went in when you installed the second plate. The bolts came out to do the work. Now the shop can't get them back in? Tell the yahoo to loosen all of the other bolts until they are only in a couple of threads and try again. Or better yet, do it yourself and then if you get them in tell the shop to train their people.

I've seen countless folks put in a bolt and completely tighten it before moving to the next and so on. Eventually they can't get any more in.

Upvote 0
Best way to fix it is to either find another shop or do things yourself.
I would question what quality work was done above the skid plate at this point,.... yeah.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I had issues threading mine back on myself. But it was definitely just having a hard time getting the threads lined up. Just make sure you push it up as much as you can and make sure the threads engage. Oil sometimes helps.
If that doesn't work, they could have stripped it.

Upvote 0
Back