• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

TRD off road vs TRD pro

weka

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
hey guys,

first time poster here.

im curious if anyone can shed some light why it seems to me that the TRD OFF ROAD is more popular and common than the PRO?
from what i can see is that the pro has alot better base specs than the off road etc.

can anyone explain why this might be, especially notice this with alot of guys who have work done to there trucks or go overlanding etc might be a silly question but yeah some info could help with my decision.

cheers!

Based on what I've heard from other folks there are a few reasons. One is that a lot of people go aftermarket for some of what the Pro has over the OR anyway. Another is price. There may be others, but my reason is that I only want what the OR comes with so I looked no further.

@weka, Aftermarket mods make the OR or depending upon how drastic, even the SR, the way to go if you are going to off road it. Why pay for premium packages that you are likely going to replace on a PRO? Now, if it's going to be a mall crawler, then the PRO is probably fine, or if you like what the PRO comes with (which is pretty good stuff), but costs are premium.

Example: I got a great deal on the an 2017 OR, but I have replaced the suspension, tires, and now wheels (due to offset for bigger MT's). I don't care for the crawl control, TSS (which I don't have), but I do like the locker. I could have bought an SR and done the upgrades, including a locker, and still have been at a lower price point. Here are some videos to help you.

Last edited:
Off road (with a premium package) : leather, all the electronic doodads, rear locker, very reasonable bilstein shocks.

Pro for $5000-6000 more: leather (with red stitching), all the electronic doodads, rear locker, badges, and $2500 worth of really nice fox shocks.

I have a pro, and did a little suspension work ($700 rear icon rxt leaf pack, front $600 westcott pre-load lift), and really like my set up. But, strictly speaking, the extra cash for the pro badging wasn't worth it. Should have gone with an Off Road and added $5000 to the suspension.

It's more + market adjustment. Availability in more limited numbers. You get the nonfunctional Sport hood. Pro model wheels? and a grill. I think the Rigid foglights. Then the color not available to other Tacomas for a year or 2. Then they are more likely to tack on additional mods before listing it or having it for sale.

Price difference is the reason. You can put better suspension on an Off Road for much , much, much cheaper than the price of the Pro.

Shocks, hood scoop & Leather are the only differences....

Last edited:
only thing different from my OR and a PRO are the hood scoop, suspension, and tacky TRD letters on the head rest. got a better suspension than the PRO and still came out way way cheaper. plus they never made the PRO in quicksand.

You can get a manual in an OR. At least you used to be able to. Not sure about 2022.

Price difference is the reason. You can put better suspension on an Off Road for much , much, much cheaper than the price of the Pro.

Shocks, hood scoop & Leather are the only differences....
I wouldn't even count the leather as a difference. Premium and Tech package would have all that stuff covered.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
you can get a manual in a TRD sport (access cab or double), OR (just double) and PRO (just double) for the 2022 model year. I want to say they made OR access cabs in stick in '16 -'18. my 2020 OR is manual

awesome thanks guys much appreciate the info. makes sense going for the OR and just doing the mods as i need and i thought that would be the case with most peoples reasoning.

i was browsing the other day and did notice the packages like you say premium and techonology packages give you most things you would want in the pro also.

correct me if im wrong but the off road comes with the moon roof and not the pro?

now time to look at investing in one

awesome thanks guys much appreciate the info. makes sense going for the OR and just doing the mods as i need and i thought that would be the case with most peoples reasoning.

i was browsing the other day and did notice the packages like you say premium and techonology packages give you most things you would want in the pro also.

correct me if im wrong but the off road comes with the moon roof and not the pro?

Good luck in your search. I've been looking for a manual OR or Sport (at this point I'll take either), and what I've been finding is nothing. If you're ok with an automatic, you'll be fine, but if you want a manual, be prepared to wait. And wait. And wait. The manuals get snapped up before they're even built!

The premium package is what adds the moon roof. Pretty sure you can get it on a pro...

Just be warned, the moon roof drops the headliner down a few inches. I was initially going to buy pretty much the same exact truck I have but with the premium package. I wouldn't have been able to sit in my truck without hitting my head constantly if I had the moon roof.

the PRO will come with the sunroof regardless. OR it's an option.

hey guys,

first time poster here.

im curious if anyone can shed some light why it seems to me that the TRD OFF ROAD is more popular and common than the PRO?
from what i can see is that the pro has alot better base specs than the off road etc.

can anyone explain why this might be, especially notice this with alot of guys who have work done to there trucks or go overlanding etc might be a silly question but yeah some info could help with my decision.

cheers!
for me it was the locking rear diff.

For me I knew I was going to replace the suspension and add a lift, so why pay for more with the PRO?
And I got a killer deal on the OR.

When I got mine (Pro) the guys at the dealer said if I’m going to leave it stock get the Pro. If I’m going to mod it get the off road or sport. I was sold on the color so it was a moot point. Haha

Back