• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Transmission fluid mess

Condition1

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Good day all, I have a transmission issue I’m hoping someone can give some insight on. I was pulling a small lawn trailer all day Friday. I’ve pulled it many times before. While unhooking at the end of the day I see a thin coat of oil all over the trailer tongue. I look under the truck and all the underside is coated. Further looks tells me it’s tranny fluid. I park the truck all weekend with cardboard under it. Today is Sunday. I have a few spots where excess has dripped off the frame. But no leaked coming from the tranny itself. No dash lights either. Any ideas? Could it have overheated and spilled out of a vent? Is there a vent? As a side note I took the truck for an oil change at a major retailer in June. The idiots drained tge tranny instead of motor oil. Could they have overfilled and an overheat made it spill over. Thank you for any thoughts.

Over filled and puked from dipstick/filler (if you have one). Overheated and one of your seals leaked. Leaky seal on the verge of letting go entirely. You need to get it up on a rack and find the source. If you aren't comfortable with trannys take it to a tranny shop, not the dealer unless it's still under warranty. The dealer techs are parts changers who only do what the OBD tells them to do. Some info on the vehicle would help, year, engine, tranny, etc.

Upvote 0

seems a lot easier than pulling up a dipstick when the engine is at temp. (insert eye roll emoji).

i think first i'd check if they forgot to put the overflow plug back in. maybe once you got up past the checking temp it just started flowing out.

Upvote 0
It's also possible you ran through a puddle of someone else's tranny fluid. IS there any in front of the tranny?

Upvote 0

seems a lot easier than pulling up a dipstick when the engine is at temp. (insert eye roll emoji).

i think first i'd check if they forgot to put the overflow plug back in. maybe once you got up past the checking temp it just started flowing out.
Thanks for the reply. I’m taking it to the shop to check it out. I don’t trust shops but I don’t have a choice in this circumstance.

Upvote 0
Back